Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2016, 15:30   #16

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Re: Is a buoy number important? C-Map doesn't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockabout View Post
doo you only sail in daylight /cardinal beacons flash their numbers its important not to get to close before you id the beacon /some of them if you can see the beacon you are too close/put the cursor on the beacon to get its position- right click -object query.// wonder how many paper charts have click written on them following instructions /write click
you can click on it, but still doesnt show the buoy number
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 20:06   #17

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

Been doing this sailing for a long time.....

I want to know the number and color of the buoy.

Even numbers are kept to starboard, odd numbers are kept to port, and the numbers also will designate the position of that buoy as you proceed into the harbor channel, and you will know where you are. Red nav aids are kept to starboard, green to port.

The numbers of the navaids increase as you go deeper into a channel or harbor.

Personally, I have done just fine without GPS and all the devices. I still back up GPS with paper charts.

I have navigated long channels in the fog with coastal piloting techniques, no GPS, and that sometimes included using depth soundings along a shore line to get to the MO(a) channel entrance navaid , and then use mag headings and channel buoys to get to my slip.

Sure I like GPS, and I use it now, but , as mentioned I also use a paper chart to back up all the electronic wonders. Not politically correct, but I believe every sailor, power or sail, should have a strong working knowledge of Coastal Piloting and Navigation.

Pretty evident that idea is no longer the norm.
bvisailing32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 21:14   #18

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvisailing32 View Post

I want to know the number and color of the buoy.

Even numbers are kept to starboard, odd numbers are kept to port, and the numbers also will designate the position of that buoy as you proceed into the harbor channel, and you will know where you are. Red nav aids are kept to starboard, green to port.

...…
CF is a pretty international audience. You might want to check the difference between IALA B and A. Your rules don't apply to many areas.
Either way, you of course want to know the mark's details on your electronic charts.
Old 03-09-2016, 23:01   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvisailing32 View Post

Sure I like GPS, and I use it now, but , as mentioned I also use a paper chart to back up all the electronic wonders. Not politically correct, but I believe every sailor, power or sail, should have a strong working knowledge of Coastal Piloting and Navigation.

Pretty evident that idea is no longer the norm.
Agree. i consider the GPS plotter itself to be the backup. always have my chartbook on the help. Rarely have those pages gone blank on me.

Still it is, to me, virtually criminal for either B&G and/or C-Map to not show the number on select (at least lighted) buoys as you can see in the example on my video in the opening post.
Old 03-09-2016, 23:45   #20

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

continuous flashing is north cardinal / there have been many mistakes some of them in good conditions confusing cardinal markers for channel beacons / east cardinal flashes 3 times not to be confused with no.3 buoy / most plotters and laptops if you place the cursor on the object it will show the gps position and you will know which beacon it is by comparing your boats current position /special purpose buoys can be a trap as well / you may have the detail slider on your cmap settings set low or the chart package may not have the detail / there is a possibility the port authority in the area your navigating in have not made the information available to cmap / is there an absolute necessity to recognise a number as well as red an green / in long beaconed channels sometimes the lights synchronise just thought of an instance of needing to know the beacon number. coming out of port headland (w.a) you can't short cut the shipping lane beacons before a certain beacon number because of a reef
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 23:47   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
Agree. i consider the GPS plotter itself to be the backup. always have my chartbook on the help. Rarely have those pages gone blank on me.

Still it is, to me, virtually criminal for either B&G and/or C-Map to not show the number on select (at least lighted) buoys as you can see in the example on my video in the opening post.
helm (not help), sorry about that.
Old 03-09-2016, 23:55   #22

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockabout View Post
continuous flashing is north cardinal / there have been many mistakes some of them in good conditions confusing cardinal markers for channel beacons / east cardinal flashes 3 times not to be confused with no.3 buoy / most plotters and laptops if you place the cursor on the object it will show the gps position and you will know which beacon it is by comparing your boats current position /special purpose buoys can be a trap as well / you may have the detail slider on your cmap settings set low or the chart package may not have the detail / there is a possibility the port authority in the area your navigating in have not made the information available to cmap / is there an absolute necessity to recognise a number as well as red an green / in long beaconed channels sometimes the lights synchronise just thought of an instance of needing to know the beacon number. coming out of port headland (w.a) you can't short cut the shipping lane beacons before a certain beacon number because of a reef
detail is set to high (or max).

if you do go through the menus, to chart details I believe, it DOES show you the info. The info part that shows the map #, depth info, and all the info that is pertinent to the chart (but not the specific buoy only). Again you have to hunt for it. So the chip DOES have the info. Just, for some reason, refuses to show it to you on the screen when you click on it or on the pop up info

don't know why the unlighted buoys DO show up properly. I click on an unlighted buoy and it says '2'. A lit buoy says 'Light' but no number anywhere on the pop up info (as you can see in my video)

Thinking about it (at 3am).. I THINK the issue is that it is considered to be both a Channel Marker AND a light (apparently different things), but instead of showing the channel marker info, the pop up is showing the light info.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:52   #23

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Wouldn't seem logical (to me) that C-Map supplies different charts to different "displayers." Would have thought the various chart data is universal; would have thought excessively expensive (with no obvious need) to customize the actual chart data.

IOW, my first guess would be that the problem isn't with the charts or caused by the chart maker...

-Chris
Old 06-09-2016, 11:49   #24

Just an update... did get a response from c-map. They did acknowledge a problem.

However, the data IS on the chip, but you have to hunt for it. If I go to menu, item, and select the buoy, I can see it's number, but that is 3 additional unnecessary steps, where it should be on the popup!

Also if you zoom in realllll tight, you can (sometimes) see the buoy number on the chart, but if there are depth soundings near it, then the buoy number will just look like a depth sounding.

Hopefully they can sort it out. But must be an issue with the chip and this plotter.

I think I am more upset at the twit of a rep who answered the phone and implied there was nothing wrong and the issue was the plotter, without doing even a single moment of investigation
Old 06-09-2016, 12:16   #25

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

It may be different on the Vulcan, however, on the Zeus2 place the cursor on the buoy, it gives the name of the buoy. Click on the name and a pop appears with the full name of the buoy, its number, the coordinates, and course and distance to the buoy with an option to "Navigate" to the buoy. The MFD will then plot a course line.

At least that's what it did when I looked at the only buoy within 30 miles of my marina.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:34   #26

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
However, the data IS on the chip, but you have to hunt for it. If I go to menu, item, and select the buoy, I can see it's number, but that is 3 additional unnecessary steps, where it should be on the popup!

Also if you zoom in realllll tight, you can (sometimes) see the buoy number on the chart, but if there are depth soundings near it, then the buoy number will just look like a depth sounding.

No particularly difficult or tight zooming necessary, but now you mention it the buoy numbers on the Plan2Nav/C-Map lights do look like (are in the same typeface and size) as nearby depth soundings.

-Chris
Old 06-09-2016, 12:49   #27

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

To answer the question in your thread title, I recall one time saying "oh sh#t, that's the #5 buoy, where is #3????!!!!" and yeah, it was important.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:51   #28

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
To answer the question in your thread title, I recall one time saying "oh sh#t, that's the #5 buoy, where is #3????!!!!" and yeah, it was important.
That wouldn't be the #3 buoy on the south side of Carleton Island, would it?

Been there done that!
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:57   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesevans View Post
Yes the numbers are important. They give location and an indication of which side of the buoy the channel is on.
I use the color and shape of the buoy to determine which side the channel is on.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 13:14   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
It may be different on the Vulcan, however, on the Zeus2 place the cursor on the buoy, it gives the name of the buoy. Click on the name and a pop appears with the full name of the buoy, its number, the coordinates, and course and distance to the buoy with an option to "Navigate" to the buoy. The MFD will then plot a course line.

At least that's what it did when I looked at the only buoy within 30 miles of my marina.
The built in (free) chart with the plotter will say something like Cape Cod Canal channel #5 lighted x seconds (don't quote me). The C-map will say either 'light' (the issue I am facing) or the number (say 2) as long as it is not lighted.

If you go through the menu, you can dig deeper into the info, but the built in charts gives you the info just by selecting it.

Seems like the built in charts are the better value! Doesn't have the fancy pictures and active captain stuff, but at least i can find out where I am without digging through a menu to find it.

Tags
c-map, import