Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 06:01   #1

Installing new garmin plotter

So my wife baught me a new garmin 740s plotter and I'm planning on installing it myself. Just a quick question as my boat has both nmea 0183 and nema 2000 sensors now, how do I hook up the power. I know the power from the nmea 2000 bus will power the plotter, but won't I also need to supply power to the nmea side as well. Won't I end up with two power inputs to the plotter? Any advise would be helpful. Thanks

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
vincentdawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:18   #2

Boat: Hunter 41
Re: Installing new garmin plotter

As far as I remember, there is a seperate set of power leads on the chart plotter and there is no internal connection to the bus power. If all elsefails, read the directions.
uncledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:19   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledom View Post
As far as I remember, there is a seperate set of power leads on the chart plotter and there is no internal connection to the bus power. If all elsefails, read the directions.
I believe you are correct
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:26   #4

Boat: Pearson 422

Just installed a Garmin 741. Wiring directions very clear and easy to follow. Only issue I had was forgetting which end of the ethernet cable (A or B) was up mast and guessing wrong rather than going up the mast to check. Oh well - just one extra ethernet connector.
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 18:38   #5

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentdawe View Post
So my wife baught me a new garmin 740s plotter and I'm planning on installing it myself. Just a quick question as my boat has both nmea 0183 and nema 2000 sensors now, how do I hook up the power. I know the power from the nmea 2000 bus will power the plotter, but won't I also need to supply power to the nmea side as well. Won't I end up with two power inputs to the plotter? Any advise would be helpful. Thanks

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
There are separate wires to power the display. It cannot be powered by nor will it power the NMEA 2000 bus.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 20:08   #6

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentdawe View Post
I know the power from the nmea 2000 bus will power the plotter...
No! The power on the NMEA-2000 bus usually only powers very low-power devices like sensors. You have to run a power circuit to the plotter. I am sure the GARMIN instructions must explain that.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 20:59   #7

Boat: PETERSON 44

I do this. Power at chartplotter circuit is on which energizes the nmea circuits. Now the autopilot works and it's sensors are on. I can turn the chart plotter on or not. The nmea circuit is on at one point. I can choose at the device which is activated. Saves energy and can close the nmea circuit. The operational piece needs its own on off.the nmea should have a seperate fuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin