Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2015, 19:08   #1

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Help me buy a PLB

Hello everyone

I am thinking about buying a ACR ResQLink+ 375 Buoyant PLB, which Defender is selling at US$192 after a US$50 rebate.

Please tell me if you know there is a better option out there. The one thing that I know is that a want a buoyant PLB.

Thanks
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 19:21   #2

Boat: Island Packet 485
Re: Help me buy a PLB

I'm looking at PLBs too, but I'm thinking an AIS/DSC PLB like the RescueME MOB1 (at Westmarine) would be a more useful option. This would assume you are not single handing and you have an AIS equipped vessel. This would make it much easier to find you if you fell overboard especially at night in rough seas.
highside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 20:20   #3

That seems like a fine PLB - great price.

But why do you care if it's buoyant? It should be clipped to you with a lanyard

Unlike an EPIRB, PLB's aren't designed to float free from a sinking boat and transmit. You generally have to unfold the antenna, push a few buttons, and then hold it so that the antenna is facing the sky.

CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 20:49   #4

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I agree with CarlF. I bought a Ocean Signal rescueME PLB1 last year and it comes with a neoprene flotation jacket that acts as a holster to attach to your belt. Small is good.

Can't say it works well, and hope I never find out. It passes the self-test.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 23:08   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I got that PLB, without the discount, and I like that it is also buoyant. It just kind of makes sense, though they are usually clipped or in a pocket. You do have to take it out to unfold the antenna.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 04:35   #6
Marine Service Provider

Good Information from our ACR rep. If you have any questions about certain units feel free to send me a pm.

EPIRBs float in an upright position to transmit (perform best when floating)
PLBs float so they won’t get lost (need to be held out of the water for best transmission)

EPIRBs transmit for 48 hrs at temps down to -40C
PLBs transmit for 24 hrs at temps down to -20C

EPIRBs can be manually activated in or out of their bracket or automatically activated when out of the bracket and in the water
PLBs are manually activated

EPIRBs have a strobe light
PLBs have no strobe (keep a strobe on you life vest anyway)

EPIRBs are designed to be mounted in a bracket or carried in a ditch bag
PLBs are designed to be worn or carried on your persons

EPIRBs have two different types of brackets. Cat 1 will automatically deploy the beacon should the bracket be submerged between 4 and 13 ft. Cat 2 is a manual deployment. Cat 1 can be manually deployed also.

EPIRBs are registered to the vessel
PLBs are registered to the person and are legal to be used on land as well

Both transmit on 406MHz and 121.5MHz (406 for satellite communication and 121.5 for local homing)

Both are required to be registered with NOAA. It’s quick, easy and free and can be done online at
http://www.beaconregistration.noaa.gov/
S0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 05:09   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Unlike an EPIRB, PLB's aren't designed to float free from a sinking boat and transmit. You generally have to unfold the antenna, push a few buttons, and then hold it so that the antenna is facing the sky.
This. I don't see buoyancy being a meaningful advantage in a PLB. Doesn't hurt, of course, but in terms of important criteria for picking one I would put that way, WAY down on the list.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 09:24   #8

I have 2 RescueME MOB1 from Ocean Signal with DSC and AIS.
There is a GPS in it for your location and it will gif a alarm on the plotter if the AIS is ON.
The activate automaticley if you place him in your life Jacket and where them. You can activate him also mannual.

The instruction manual was not so clear to place it, but works on the end out if you reed it twice how it activate.

Usefull or not? Hope never to tray it.
KWISPEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:37   #9

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

This is a good choice depending on your application.

EPERBs and PLBs use satellites to receive anywhere in the world. These will trigger an international response. It is one-way communication only.

Satellite pagers, such as the Delorme Inreach, also world wide, have the advantage of two-way communication. Requires a subscription, though. Can be used for routine 2-way communication (160 character texts) and routine geolocation. On land, too.

The AIS locaters are good, too, but are short range. They have the advantage that any boat with an AIS receiver nearby may pick up the signal, locate and track you, and so the response can potentially be very rapid.

A GPS/DSC VHF handheld radio carried on your person is also a consideration. Anyone with a DSC radio within reception can locate, communicate and respond. These are required for nearshore ocean racing 'round these here parts.
The Smokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:50   #10
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
Hello everyone

I am thinking about buying a ACR ResQLink+ 375 Buoyant PLB, which Defender is selling at US$192 after a US$50 rebate.

Please tell me if you know there is a better option out there. The one thing that I know is that a want a buoyant PLB.

Thanks
Check on PartMarine for different options are prices: https://www.partmarine.com/Acr_Elect...Locator_Beacon

The engine also collects and indexes relevant documents as it finds them on the Internet. There are two files on this page for comparing PLB vs EPIRB and 406 vs SPOT. Hope they are helpful.

Fulll Disclosure: I am one of the developers of PartMarine. It is a search engine/price comparison engine for marine parts and boat equipment.
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 18:42   #11

Boat: Catalina 470

svlamorocha,
I'm assuming that you're looking for a PLB as a PERSONAL locating beacon, and not a substitute for an EPIRB....
Quote:

Thanks
Please don't forget to properly register it (and renew / update registration every 2 years).....

And, please everyone have a look at this thread where you'll all learn quite a bit about EPIRB's, the COSPAS-SARSAT system, etc....and how to better use your beacons and improve your odds of SAR activity (and hopefully a rescue!)
EPIRB Activation? What happens/How to improve rescue odds

Also, while I get that some desire two-way comms for distress situations, you should all remember that this does already exist in the GMDSS!!
---- VHF-DSC-FM Radiotelephone
---- MF/HF-DSC-SSB Radiotelephone
---- INMARSAT-C (and INMARSAT Fleet77)

Handheld digital sat comm devices, like InReach, IridiumGO, etc. are nice for sending/receiving small e-mails and SMS....but these are NOT designed for distress signaling, are NOT part of the GMDSS, not part of COSPAS-SARASAT, do not connect you to any RCC, etc....

Just trying to point out some helpful facts, that might save someone's life, someday!!

Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 18:55   #12

For me is a EPRIB to slow and before they receive my distress signal, figure out if it a real distress can be, contact my country, nearest coastguard, find the nearest ship to send help, ... . well than look I al long like a ice-lolly.
In cold water have you only a few minutes. (3 to 20 Minutes)

A EPRIP is nice if you sink and go to your rescue float, ... but You need time!

A AIS bacon is nice if you fell over board, it gif a alarm and wake the boat up in the night and they see where you are in the sea. There is timeto react and turn the boat to pick you up.

EPRIB is something else than a AIS bacon and the to are interesting.

IF you buy a AIS bacon tick one how activate automatically wit you life jacked. if you have no life jacket than will it be difficult to activate it and keep you afloat wit all your clots.
KWISPEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:18   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
svlamorocha,
I'm assuming that you're looking for a PLB as a PERSONAL locating beacon, and not a substitute for an EPIRB....
Please don't forget to properly register it (and renew / update registration every 2 years).....
Of course; I do quite a bit of sailing on other people´s boats in waters with iffy SAR coverage and want to make sure I have my own beacon that *I* know has good battery and registration that will lead to a call to someone in *MY* family that knows what to do if the phone rings.

This is in addition to the boat´s EPIRB, which is better than a PLB (transmits for several days, etc) but I cannot guarantee that the battery is good and the "next of kin " person who gets the phone call knows what to do to get 3rd world

I wish I could get my own EPRIB to carry from boat to boat but unfortunately that is not possible (too long a story to tell).
Old 04-11-2015, 04:23   #14

Quote:
Hello everyone

Thanks
For everyone´s info, I found a dealer ( https://www.satellitephonestore.com/) that will reprogram the hex code of EPRIBs and PLBs to whatever country you want for just US$25 on any PLB or EPIRB sold by them. I believe this is a great deal for those who want to register their device outside the US but do not want to pay higher prices. Ask for Callie, she is very helpful with "export" buyers.