Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 05:18   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Urgent: Re-Check Your EPIRB & PLB Registration!

Cobham Life Support, ACR Products Urges EPIRB and PLB Owners to Re-Check Registration

See the following: ACR Urges Beacon owners to re-check registration codes
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:53   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The following is from the report to which s/vHyLyte supplied the link in his post:

"According to a recent Marine Board of Investigation inquiry, which is looking into the sinking of the scallop boat Lady Mary on March 24th, there was a discrepancy in the EPIRB's identification number, marked on a decal that the boat's owner had received from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration after he registered the EPIRB.

"In the case of the Lady Mary, the emergency signal initially received by authorities was regarded as unregistered which may have led to delays in response time while emergency center controllers waited for additional satellite passes to fix a location. Had the controllers been able to pull the Lady Mary's registration data, they could have contacted emergency contacts to confirm the status of the boat and its general location prior to a satellite fix."
Old 02-06-2009, 10:02   #3

Boat: Farrier f27
That leads to another point of getting a used EPIRB or transferring one to another boat. Without reregisterring it the point of contact will remain with the original owner or vessel and that could create problems.
There was a story of an MSC ship that was decommissioned, the EPIRB was transferred to an east coast ship without thinking of the registration. I believe it was activated for some reason & there was alot of unnecessary confusion.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 00:05   #4

Boat: Feeling 346 "Esprit"
Correct me if I am wrong, but I am led to believe that an EPIRB is programmed with the ships MMSI number. Therefore re-programming is absolutely necessary before transfer to a new vessel.

But is it true that an LRC is required to operate an EPIRB?
Old 03-06-2009, 01:18   #5
Marine Service Provider

Down this end of the world, each 406 is registered to a specific boat.

Here if the 406 changes boat and or owner, you just log onto the interweb and change the details to suit. If you are a registered ship you have the ships unique number. If just a yachtie we use our sail numbers. Powerboats I don't know.

And there is all the names and phone numbers, photos if you want and the rest of the info. It is not compulsory for us to register but the news story above does certianly show why it's good to do so.

Which all reminds me, I must register my new one......Opps.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:16   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
Down this end of the world, each 406 is registered to a specific boat.
And in Oz, you can register the beacon to up to 4 boats IIRC so you share one beacon with you mates - of course, only one boat can be in the water at a time but for trailer boat fisherman, it is a cheap way of sharing a beacon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
It is not compulsory for us to register but the news story above does certianly show why it's good to do so.
Interesting question: Here in Oz it is a requirement to register the beacon but there there is no penalty if you don't - does that qualify as "compulsory".

However if you have an unregistered beacon on board, it is considered that you do not have a beacon so if required to have a beacon to comply with various state boating laws, then it must be registered or you are considered to not have a beacon.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 14:39   #7
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Also, register your EPIRB directly with Cospas Sarsat here: https://www.406registration.com/

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 00:26   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
And in Oz, you can register the beacon to up to 4 boats IIRC so you share one beacon with you mates - of course, only one boat can be in the water at a time but for trailer boat fisherman, it is a cheap way of sharing a beacon.

Interesting question: Here in Oz it is a requirement to register the beacon but there there is no penalty if you don't - does that qualify as "compulsory".

However if you have an unregistered beacon on board, it is considered that you do not have a beacon so if required to have a beacon to comply with various state boating laws, then it must be registered or you are considered to not have a beacon.
That's all a bit hard case really. I was under the impression we had a combined AUS/NZ Standard. Mine even came with all the Aussie paperwork, which I must add was more detailed then the enclosed NZ version. It's all aboard so I'll grab it and suss further.

I do think registering your 406 is a smart idea though. One of those things that if you do ever have to fire it off you may as well having it work as hard as possible for you.

No compulsion here but then not 6 mini-governments either
It is 6 states you have there in the West Island isn't it?
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:33   #9

Yup, we do have a combined standard but that doesn't stop our 5 and a half mini-governments from making maxi-laws (all different). Still, the bright side is that we can move around to find a state that has "better" laws rather than having to change countries.

Opps - political thread drift alert.

Back to boating, yes the water walapahs can be a bit hard case at times. In WA, if you are operating in a EPIRB compulsory area, its gotta be registered or you are paying the fine.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 04-06-2009, 04:38   #10

I thought the IMO was responsible for regulating the use of EPIRBs, not local government!
Old 04-06-2009, 04:40   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Guys--

The issue described in ACR's notice was that a typographical error by an agency clerk--in the issue of the ship's lable, which ties to its registry data, resulted in a disconnect between the EPIRB's encoded identifier and the EPIRB owner's contact data making possible for a registered unit to show up as unregistered in a data-base search by RCC authorities in the event of an emergency. One needs check the data oneself to ensure that the registry lable does, in fact, match the ship's unit to ensure all is well.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:49   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
But is it true that an LRC is required to operate an EPIRB?
Sorry - but what is a LRC?
Quote:
I thought the IMO was responsible for regulating the use of EPIRBs, not local government!
Maybe in your part of the world your government just accepts the IMO stuff but down under, each state makes its own regulations.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:48   #13

LRC = Long Range Certificate - for using VHF & SSB etc.
SRC = Short range Certificate - for VHF

Surely local government doesn't stretch it's powers beyond the 12 mile limit. I always thought that international waters were governed by the UNs own body i.e. IMO
Old 05-06-2009, 06:25   #14

Quote:
LRC = Long Range Certificate - for using VHF & SSB etc.
SRC = Short range Certificate - for VHF
Thanks - now I understand

Quote:
Surely local government doesn't stretch it's powers beyond the 12 mile limit.
True but it is a moot point as if I am required to have a registered beacon for the 3 mile to 12 mile stretch before reaching international waters; then I might as well keep it registered while in international waters .
Quote:
I always thought that international waters were governed by the UNs own body i.e. IMO
I wasn't aware that the UN actually governed anything, don't they just make recommendations and standards etc and then it is up to each national body to decide what laws they enact.

I have always understood (but not known for sure) that when in international waters, vessels are subject to the laws of the country they are registered in rather than laws from some "international body".
Old 05-06-2009, 10:40   #15
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Nope, IMO, ITU etc. are all UN organizations. Local government bodies enforce the International rules but might enforce additional rules for vessels flagged for that nation.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epirb, registration