Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2008, 13:37   #1

Boat: Classic 26 - Meritage
Depth Finder

Our depth indicator on our Raymarine Tridata has gone out (speed still works). We're weekend sailors on a lake, but still need the depth meter. Any suggestions as to the brand we should consider (on a budget and need to do it as cheaply as possible). Thanks!
ozarkmom43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 13:55   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Have you checked to see what the problem is? I am not crazy about Raymarine instruments but their depth sounder is a fairly good unit. It may be a simple fix like no power to the unit or transducer painted over.
Old 12-06-2008, 18:05   #3

Boat: Classic 26 - Meritage
I've checked connections to the transducer. I also ordered a new transducer and connected it to the the head and it does the same thing. The depth just flashes ZERO. The boat has not been painted since we bought it (2) years ago. I did check to be sure there wasn't film over the transducer. I'm open for more suggestions! Somebody thinks maybe I took a lighting hit because about the same time the depth meter quit working my mast lights went out. And when I fixed one bulb at mid mast it blew pretty quick when I turned the lights on, also when you turn one light on the other light switch comes on. When I disconnect the wires on top the deck and turn the lights on the other one doesn't come on. Thanks again for any help.
ozarkmom43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 19:42   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Somebody thinks maybe I took a lighting hit because about the same time the depth meter quit working my mast lights went out.
It's possible. Depth sounders are not usually what blows from lightning but they can. The head may be more vunerable than the transducer. The wires are the item I would suspect the most. Lightning moves through wires to. With depth sounders there are only ahnd full of companies that make the transducers and thy all sem as good as another to me. Personally, I would give up a lot before i would not have a depth sounder here on the Chesapeake. We have more shallow water than deep water.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 23:30   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
The lighting sounds more like you have a short somewhere. You would certainly know if you were hit by lightning. A lightning strike will be very evident.
So you have a new transducer? then seeing as you are halfway there, why not see if someone can service the head unit or buy a new head unit so as it suits the transducer. The Transducers are very robust and tend to be the least likely to fail.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 04:33   #6

Boat: FP Tobago 35'
Just went through this mess. I was told the transducer would make a "pinging" sound when it had good power. Never heard it on mine. Didn't want to haul the boat to replace the transducer during the trip so I bought a unit with a transducer that could be mounted and would shoot through the hull. It worked OK for a cheapie. One day with little to do caused me to wonder what the inside of the head looked like so I opened it up. Turns out the sealing ring around the instrument had leaked and allowed corrosion at the bottom of the head. Carefully cleaned it, reinstalled it and it worked.
Lazy Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 06:04   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Cat View Post
Just went through this mess. I was told the transducer would make a "pinging" sound when it had good power. Never heard it on mine.
Put a transistor radio near the display. Turn it on in the am band. You will hear a tick, tick, tick if the transducer is working.
Old 13-06-2008, 06:09   #8

Boat: Lagoon 420
Amair works well with all kinds of mfrs. It has its own NMEA output. Jack rabbit carries them.

I recently installed a fishfinder/gps and took out the tridata. IMHO this is a lot better and for me it was cheaper.
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote