Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2016, 13:18   #1

Boat: Endeavour, 1983 Sloop, 38 Ft.
Buying A Sat Phone In Mexico - Suggestions please?

Hi, I am wanting to buy a Sat Phone while I am here in Mexico. I am currently in Cabo San Lucas and will be sailing to Mazatlan, PV and then South to Panama. Anyone had one sent from the U.S.? Any problems, import duties? Good/bad experiences? Recommended vendors? Thanking you in advance for any help, suggestions or recommendations.

Hal
S/V Second Wind

Sent from my SM-N920V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SecondWind90814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 14:26   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Buying A Sat Phone In Mexico - Suggestions please?

Hal-
If you are a US-flagged vessel in transit, having goods marked as "Goods for yacht in transit..." should exempt them from any questions of import duties. You'll need to specific wording that Mexican authorities want to see, on the specific customs forms, to make that happen.
Also, postal authorities usually pass goods between them with no customs brokerage fees--which every other shipper is required to use and charge. So something like "Global express mail" or international priority mail, whatever the option is these days, can make a big difference. Your SHIPPER needs to be aware of international shipping issues, they are no big deal if the shipper is experienced with them.

I'd also suggest asking whether they can actually TEST the hardware, whether that requires activation or not, before it is sent down to you. Since it is rare but anything can arriver DOA, and in this case that would be worth paying someone a couple of extra bucks to make sure it doesn't happen.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 15:09   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

shipping into mexico you WILL pay duty on all value over 300 usd as do all others, despite T I P.
there are sat fones in mexico for yachts in mexico. why not go to a chandlery in mexico to see what the offering is, and google what you want in mexico-- there are things not available here that are in other locales, and vice versa.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 17:11   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
shipping into mexico you WILL pay duty on all value over 300 usd as do all others, despite T I P.
there are sat fones in mexico for yachts in mexico. why not go to a chandlery in mexico to see what the offering is, and google what you want in mexico-- there are things not available here that are in other locales, and vice versa.
Thanks Zeehag. I have checked with all three main chandeliers here in Cabo San Lucas. None of them are familiar at all with Sat Phones. Do you have any names or links to Mexican marine chandeliers that can supply me with a Sat Phone?

I appreciate your response.
Hal
Old 24-01-2016, 17:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondWind90814 View Post
Thanks Zeehag. I have checked with all three main chandeliers here in Cabo San Lucas. None of them are familiar at all with Sat Phones. Do you have any names or links to Mexican marine chandeliers that can supply me with a Sat Phone?

I appreciate your response.
Hal
let me ask my fishermen. they know all.....most all.
pv and mazatlan should have sources and manzanillo.... megas go there... lemme see what i can find out.
zaragoza marine in pv would most probably be best source so far.... i am seeking a non chandlery source also.
Old 24-01-2016, 18:12   #6

sorry i am not being a smartass, but when i googled sat phone in mexico, i got this...:

About 7,820,000 results (0.41 seconds)
Nuevo Iridium 9555 - Teléfono Satelital: Llamadas y SMSs‎
Adwww.3bwave.com.mx/Iridium‎01 33 3121 4142
Entrega Inmediata en todo México!
El mejor precio y calidad · Garantía y Servicio local
Mi Cuenta
Crea una Cuenta con Nosotros
y Realiza el Proceso Más Rápido!
Contacto
Escríbenos para Conocer Ofertas
O Suscríbete al Newsletter.
Search Results
Satellite Phones in Baja - Adventure Mexican Insurance
Mexican Auto Insurance Online - mexadventure.com - Adventure Mexican InsuranceBaja Travel › Satellite Phones in Baja
Satellite phones work in all of Baja and throughout Mexico, and they are easy to rent from satellite phone rental companies.
World Wide Satellite Phone Coverage Maps provided by ...
World Wide Satellite Phone Coverage Maps provided by GlobalCom
Globalcom provides world wide satellite phone coverage maps for Iridium, ... Canada, Eastern Caribbean, Europe, Middle East, Mexico, South America as well ...
Globalstar Satellite Phone - Learn How it Works at GlobalCom
Globalstar Satellite Phone - Learn How it Works at GlobalCom
The Globalstar satellite phone Gateways that provide service to United States, Canada, Caribbean, and Mexico include: Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico; San Martin, ...
Satellite Phone Store - Satellite Phone Rental for Baja
www.bajabound.com › Before You Go to Mexico
Information about Satellite Phone Store, a satellite phone rental company providing satellite phones for travel in Baja and Mexico.
How And When To Buy A Satellite Phone - Forbes
Forbes Welcome...
Mar 18, 2013 - You can debate all you want about whether global warming is causing the extreme and violent swings in weather conditions we've been ...
How to Dial a Satellite Phone - Network Innovations
Home - Network Innovations › Blog
Jan 9, 2015 - This article provides the basics on how to dial a satellite phone from any device. ... To call out from an Iridium, Inmarsat, or Thuraya satellite phone, the caller needs a clear view of the sky and the phone should ... Mexico, 52, 0.
USA and Mexico Cell Phone Rentals | SatellitePhoneStore ...
https://www.satellitephonestore.com/rent/cell_phone
FREE Iridium 9505A Satellite Phone. ... USA and Mexico Cell Phone Rentals ... Rent a cell phone with a U.S. based number and Unlimited Voice calls while in ...
Satellite Phones: Cost, Reviews, Comparison & Buying Guide
Satellite Phones: Cost, Reviews, Comparison & Buying Guide
Satellite phones for sale from Iridium, Inmarsat, Globalstar & SPOT. ... can text a satellite phone at no additional charge to say, texting a cell phone in Mexico.
RENTING SATELLITE PHONES - for your Baja travels | race-deZert
race-deZert.com - Off-Road Racing News from Dakar to Baja › ... › Off-Road Racing Community › Desert Racing
Mar 22, 2013 - 20 posts - ‎12 authors
I used to own my own Iridium phones and SIM cards... and eventually,. ... rental place (but not new to the business), called SATELLITE PHONE STORE. .... All though globalstar is coming back in full force, service in mexico will ...
Rent a Satellite Phone in Mexico Distrito Federal Cancun ...
Rent a Satellite Phone in Mexico Distrito Federal Cancun Acapulco Cozumel
Cell phone rental services in Mexico. You can rent a cell phone and satellite phonesin Mexico to make and receive calls worldwide. Rent a phone in Mexico ...
Old 24-01-2016, 20:46   #7

Try to contact any of those and tell them you want a phone, and a subscription. ( in english)... let me know what you get. I appreciate your help.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 25-01-2016, 06:46   #8

might wanna kwarn spanish or drive back north. dont tou have to go home to renew visa?? then is perfect time to buy.....

life is an adventure meant to be LIVED!!!
Old 25-01-2016, 07:36   #9

That's an idea Zee, Just might do that

Thanks
Old 25-01-2016, 13:15   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 54

Hi,
I got my Iridium Go from the Satphone store at 35th Avenue in Miami. Contact Conrad at alexg@atlanticrt.com They sent it to New Zealand for me with all the right paperwork and an invoice that just sneaked in for duty and all at a great price
watevaworx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, lease, Mexico, phone