Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2019, 05:58   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Boat internet system recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcot3 View Post
Try iridium go marine system
Regards David
David, have you used one of these? what sort of speed did you get? aren't they very slow, like 2400bps, that's slower than my first ever mobile data connection. Would you really recommend this system for the OP?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:18   #47
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Offshore satellite based usage, has nothing to do with so much faster cheaper cell-based service.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 19:13   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
David, have you used one of these? what sort of speed did you get? aren't they very slow, like 2400bps, that's slower than my first ever mobile data connection. Would you really recommend this system for the OP?

Pete
It's exactly 2400bps (plus some compression). Good for emails with small or no attachments, plus weather gribs, texting, and some phone calls. That's about it. If that's all someone needs it's great. But it's no substitute for LTE or WiFi, that's for sure.

There are faster satellite systems that will let you browse web pages and more if necessary. Just a matter of need, budget, and cruising location.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:35   #49

Quote:

Pete
Hello Pete.

System very slow but its a way of having offshore comms, if you wanted better comms use SSB is the way to go, its just the money.

I would use ssb comms / sat phone with prepay as you go for offshore use. Fast data systems are very expensive.

A new sat system is about to go live by iridium with faster comms/data I would wait if posssible to see if this will be better.

Near coastline then cellular / wifi systems are better and much cheaper.

In the end its down to money as always, also defining your area of use decides best way forward.

Kind regards David
drcot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:55   #50

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Hello Pete.

System very slow but its a way of having offshore comms, if you wanted better comms use SSB is the way to go, its just the money.

I would use ssb comms / sat phone with prepay as you go for offshore use. Fast data systems are very expensive.

A new sat system is about to go live by iridium with faster comms/data I would wait if posssible to see if this will be better.

In the end its down to money as always, also defining your area of use decides best way forward.

Kind regards David
SSB is not really a Internet access vehicle, it is voice communication and some mail relay services...
Old 04-01-2019, 03:44   #51

Boat: Colegate 26

I have a Pepwave MAX BR1 MKII and it's pretty good. I got mine through my employer and didn't pay full price. Not sure I would pay full price without trying something else first. It can be very expensive.

Key elements are 5ghz wifi, and all the cellular frequencies. Peplink also provide lists of certifide service providers for their equipment.

https://www.peplink.com/lte-networks/

We also put two antennas up at the first spreaders. This is specifically to get the antennas above obstructions. Be sure to review the specifications of the antennas you select in order to get ones that are compatible with the wifi and cellular networks you are hoping to connect to. And high quality cable. I used LMR400. It's thick but if you can squeeze it into your boat it'll perform well.

*** In my personal and professional experience the 2.4ghz wifi spectrum is massively over saturated in urban areas and in marinas. 5ghz may not have the range or penetrating potential but it is far more reliable in open areas when available.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:47   #52
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post
"The security cameras burn 2-300GB of data and we burn 1-200 streaming/surfing. I think our largest month was 500GB but usually average 300s."

Do you really mean GB? If so, then that is not data usage but data gluttony.

You might want to start by using a realistic amount of data. Even 500mb a day is a lot. For example, my data plan is 12GB a month and that is more than enough.
Are you really bandwidth shaming?

Just ONE of my Illustrator files can be 100Mb, and I routinely upload two or three images to Redbubble per day. My husband does video conferencing constantly during the day.

I think this is a great thread because we're asking the same questions-the ability to stay connected is crucial to how much time we can spend on our boat.

What the OP is asking is not gluttony; it's what we nerds like to call a regular work day.
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:32   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Hello Pete.

In the end its down to money as always, also defining your area of use decides best way forward. Kind regards David
Yes, I know this, what I can't understand is why you recommended the Iridium Go as a solution to access the internet given their data requirements.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:13   #54

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSH View Post

Just ONE of my Illustrator files can be 100Mb, and I routinely upload two or three images to Redbubble per day. My husband does video conferencing constantly during the day.

I think this is a great thread because we're asking the same questions-the ability to stay connected is crucial to how much time we can spend on our boat.

What the OP is asking is not gluttony; it's what we nerds like to call a regular work day.
I fully understand that, but SAT comm. is really expensive, you have to monitize this somehow. Of your job returns enough, ok.

https://castormarine.com/en/maritime...iridium-certus

montly plan only $2,490.00 for 10GB. Data hi-speed with 700kbps...1.4Mbps. It is 100 times more expensive and 100 times slower than LTE, but globally available.

You can either watch a hd movie on the ocean in your yacht or privately charter a movie theater on shore for the same price. and you have to wait a day or two for the download - renting the theater would have the same lead time I guess.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:26   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

Quote:

The key thing to think about here is how to combine Cellular and Satellite reasonably so that you get the best of both worlds. There are many questions that need to be answered... for example...

How long are you out of cellular range at any given time while cruising?
What part of the world are you planning to be cruising in?
How long can your uploads wait before they are late? ie: do they have to be uploaded every day, or you can you batch them and upload them 2 days later?
Can you upload smaller previews via satellite and follow up with full size files once back in Cellular/WiFi range?
How many files are you producing per day, and average size?
Is this upload only? Or download also? What's the ratio for both?
Could you get by with just regular email, and smaller previews of your media while on satellite?
How much $$ is your work worth to you? Specifically, do you make enough money on this that you can support $3-4K per month in service fees and still make a living for yourself?
Lastly, If you slowed down your business, and didn't upload media files every day, or do video conference every day, and only did it once a week or a few days a week, etc, or just took a few days off (any days in a row) each week, would the reduced income still be enough that you wouldn't need to pay for the extra satellite at all, and you'd have more free time away from work. Sometimes we don't consider the obvious that we don't necessarily NEED to make as much money as we do, and working less for less money is actually better.

These are just a list of questions I would ask any business owner/entrepreneur/remote worker before telling them that they need to actually spend $10-20K on hardware and prep for $4000US per month in service.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:15   #56
cruiser

Quote:
That will greatly restrict where you can sail other than during your holidays.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:19   #57
cruiser

Quote:
Yes, I know this, what I can't understand is why you recommended the Iridium Go as a solution to access the internet given their data requirements.

Pete
People do make mistakes, just let it go
Old 04-01-2019, 16:25   #58
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Perhaps everyone is a bit different, but I find that my need for internet connectivity changes based on the natural phases of cruising.

I also train my shore based contacts not to send me large emails with attachments, unless notified. Most use Dropbox links to send files so I can download/ view when I have the bandwidth

In Port, local cellular or wifi Hotspots, takes care of the business and operational needs.

Once underway on a longish passage, I really don't want to be distracted by anything other than weather reports.

When I get to that very remote anchorage with no cellular service...I have arrived!

The last thing I want is for the outside world to intrude....and I have the perfect excuse![emoji56]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:31   #59
cruiser

Alright so I've made some progress in selecting hardware...

Probably going with a Mikrotek "bullet" style high power 2.4/5ghz for WiFi and a Cradlepoint or Sierra or similar LTE radio/modem device. I would've loved to use Ubiquiti's bullet but it seems they have locked them to Airmax and they can no longer be used in bridge mode.

Hopefully using a single antenna for cellular and a second single antenna for WiFi will be sufficient. The other solution would've involved dual antennas for each and I'd rather not have to install four antennas and mounts not just because of expense but because of how it would look.

Using these "remote" style radio/modem units, I will probably run ethernet to the engine room, install the POE injectors there (unless a bad idea??), and then ethernet from there up to the cabin. I still need to confirm I can mount these units close enough to the base of the mast so I only use 10-15 feet of antenna wire. I have to go visit the boat next week to see if I can get access to a seat area next to the mast from the base of the mast. I would install an enclosure to hold the radio/modem units. Those of you that have Wirie's, were the enclosures (I believe they were pelican cases) vented at all? I need to figure out an enclosure that wouldn't cause the units to overheat all while keeping them protected. I could install the Mikrotik right at the antenna outside but that exposes it to the elements. Another option is to just secure the enclosure/pelican case to the mast somehow and have a much shorter run form the antennas (i.e. a few feet).

Any special type of ethernet that would have to be used? I am most concerned about potential interference from other nearby antenna and power leads and that the wires would be carrying DC for POE.

Also it looks like for lightening protection, there needs to be a ground, for both the antenna and ethernet "surge" protectors. I am guessing there is no way to do that on a boat?

The final major hardware selection will be picking a router that can handle the dual WANs. I was thinking something from Peplink if OpenWRT cannot do it on a Asus 68u or similar. I am hoping to keep this to one piece of hardware, so the LAN router and Wireless were one unit for ease of powering via DC.
Boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:20   #60

Boat: Bavaria 390 Lagoon 39.8ft

I use a Teltonika RUT950 wireless LTE and DualBand Router. Rather a Pro version with various setting options but fulfils everything you have been asking for.
The Router is wired to a Bullet M2 at the masttop for WLAN via POE, but also has two antennas for LTE (has two Sim slots!) as well as one antenna for 2.4G and one for 5G at the back of the casing. No external antenna required for LTE, unless the hull is made from steel or aluminum.

Once set up it connects to 3G/4G and if out of reach it starts automatically to connect to a WLAN (which needs to be set up in forehand) as a backup or visa vers. You even can fire up a wired connection. The RUT950 also serves as the ship router for NMEA and what else one need to feel comfortable.
MichelleWhy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, internet, men