Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 17:51   #1

Blue sea ultra sonic tank sender

I'll start by saying I did NOT contact blue sea about this but I had no luck getting there ultrasonic tank level sender to work. I put in a basic SS float 240-33 ohm unit and all is well. It was a odd shaped plastic poo poo tank so there may have been some echo issues etc anyway I had to pay for a pumpout every time I needed to do a recal so I bailed on it out of frustration it would seem to read fine and I would set up the level alarms and in a couple hours it would jump all over 100% to 0% etc..
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 19:23   #2

Re: Blue sea ultra sonic tank sender

Well, the very best design and finest manufactured product fail from time to time. To me, the more important thing is how the company handles it when they do.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 20:35   #3

No issues on the return at all. I did not have the luxury to go though trial and error to isolate the exact cause. It may have been simply a defective sender. You really are committed with these units once you buy them though imagine if I was dealing with 200 gal of diesel instead. It might be six months before using it up to verify a questionable sender. Since each unit calibrates to each unique tank the testing is limited. I would guess they are 4-20ma or o-10v but they don't give this spec.
Old 08-07-2012, 23:31   #4

Are you talking about Blue Sea Systems? They make some outstanding products. But what's even more outstanding is their customer service!!! My boat came with some abused components and I requested help in troubleshooting. I asked for information only, and never requested replacements. Instead I received in-depth education, and free replacements! And, free overnight shipping!

Idiots love to bash corporations, profits, capitalism, and so forth. Blue Sea Systems is the perfect example of why those idiots are wrong!

Full disclosure: I own no part of Blue Seas, and don't even know anybody who works there. I am merely one amazed and grateful customer.
Jbaffoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 00:44   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbaffoh View Post

Idiots love to bash corporations, profits, capitalism, and so forth. Blue Sea Systems is the perfect example of why those idiots are wrong!.
Wow! I thought all Crusingscotts said was that his sensor was not working correctly.
I completely missed the attack on our free market economy
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:37   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

"The Blue Sea Systems VSM 422 Ultrasonic Tank Senders require an external power source.
When power to the sender is lost, the VSM 422 will read the tank as full, and may trigger the tank’s high level alarm.
"

The Blue Sea SM 422 Ultrasonic Tank Sender is calibrated for use with Blue Sea Systems Vessel Systems Monitor VSM 422 only.

https://bluesea.com/files/resources/.../990470210.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbaffoh View Post
Are you talking about Blue Sea Systems? They make some outstanding products. But what's even more outstanding is their customer service!!! My boat came with some abused components and I requested help in troubleshooting. I asked for information only, and never requested replacements. Instead I received in-depth education, and free replacements! And, free overnight shipping!

Idiots love to bash corporations, profits, capitalism, and so forth. Blue Sea Systems is the perfect example of why those idiots are wrong!

Full disclosure: I own no part of Blue Seas, and don't even know anybody who works there. I am merely one amazed and grateful customer.
Really??

The post was intended as a cautionary note for those intending to use this sender. As my entire electrical panel and instilation was designed around Blue Sea products
I would say I am well aware of the quality of their products. I had intended on using these senders in all of my tank applications due to the lack of moving parts etc.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:11   #8

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

I guess we all have to wonder just why you haven't gone to Blue Seas first before making this post? Is this a cautionary note for a defective product or an incorrect installation? Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:55   #9

The reason would be the out of pocket cost for the sender is 70-100$ plus. The way the sender and controller are designed for odd shaped tank calibration requires filling and and or emptying the tank. This could present a large problem when dealing with fuel or waste. I'm not dissing the product simply passing along information to take or leave. If I read a similar post before using this product it would have prompted me to contact the manufacture with some questions.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:46   #10

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

I can see where fuel might be a problem, however we just installed a tank monitor in our holding tank, The Trawler Beach House: Holding Tank Monitor And Major Service On Our Ford Lehman and the calibration was simple. Fill the tank with water, calibrate and pump out the water. It gave us a chance to give the tank a good rinse. I suspect that most boat owners doing this type of installation would have known in advance after doing their research on the manufacturers website, what will be involved in the installation. I can't imagine buying any piece of equipment for our boat without knowing what I will need to do for the installation. I'm sure there are those that appreciate your heads up on your problem with your install. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 14:20   #11

Chuck its a relatively simple instal and calibration but the lack of moving parts which is the whole reason to get it limits your troubleshooting.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:06   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77

Wow! I thought all Crusingscotts said was that his sensor was not working correctly.
I completely missed the attack on our free market economy
I didn't say he attacked anything. I just plugged their customer support, which he hadn't resorted to for whatever reason. If I were accusing him of attacking capitalism, I would have said so.

The bit about corporations was a remnant from another thread where people were bashing the corporate form of business--and Blue Sea just happens to be a great example of why those complaints are usually wrong. Again, this was an expression of support to the company, not a criticism of anything said by the OP.

This forum is unique in that people tend not to read what is written, but they also tend to read things that are unwritten. I am amazed how frequently people misunderstand each other here as compared to other similar sites.
Jbaffoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:51   #13

Boat: Freydis 49

I recently installed a 3rd ultrasonic tank sensor to a diesel tank in addition to 2 existing sensors in water tanks. I didnt notice any faults on the water tanks readings before this so i assume they must have been OK.
I emptied my aluminium diesel tank and cleaned it out then calibrated it with water as it is an irregular shape. Well I tried about a dozen times and it just wont calibrate.
Crazy things started happening like the reading of the other 2 tanks would change while calibrating the 3 rd. A coupls of times a half full water tank read empty after calibrating the diesel tank, I had to reset the system. The best I achieved is a diesel tank reading that is not accurate or repeatable at all, while draining the tank at a constant slow rate the level drops in 30 ltr steps?
I have the pos and neg wires hooked directly to the batteries with heavy gauge wire with good soldered connections. I have read the manual many times over and shut down all other electrics while try to calibrate.
The strange thing is I have emailed Blueseas support twice in the past couple of weeks and no reply.
I will give them a call and see what they say.