Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 14:35   #1

Best Compression

Hi all ,
I have been looking into this for some time and have myself completely confused with how, what, and where I found the info I was origanaly looking for .I am not computor savy at all .
I gotto admit , Ive got to the stage where I have nearly given up on my own stupidity of not knowing or understanding a word that is even posted when it comes to electronics , weather reading etc.
I am reading to take off blind, and learn to read my baromater/ clouds etc.

Saying this , can we get back to the basics please .

I have just purchased an irdium 9555 as the inmarsat doesnt have data yet and I dont want to take the risk that they will be have data in April .I have purchased the ph in Aus.
Please dont bring HF into this , it only confuses me.

Weather , what are the best weather sites .

I have come to feel that passage weather and buoy weather , gives me the basic charts and text I need to attempt to understand our world on the water. I know most would say nooa or whatever it is , but I seem to need to search through stuff that I dont know the words or meanings to so have put them to the side for now.
I have my father on a home base willing to get the info I need , compress it and send via email to myself via the iridium where I can then save , print , whatever .
Should I still have a compression program of my own . I think iridium have one which the techs are installing now for me , but heard it was still pretty slow.
Is xgate the one to use.
Is it still worth myself using xgate, as well as my father at the other end .
Will this be the best way of getting the info fast , which means slightly less costly .
Getting back to cost , which have you found to be the best providers of airtime ,for the iridium with the easiest way of topping up.
If this doent make sence I appoligize , like I said , I am confused.
Mate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compression