Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2013, 18:29   #46

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: B&G Triton Display Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
So I as right then

Dave !!
Yep, you nailed it!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 18:37   #47

Boat: Albin Nova 33
I happened to find that just before your post and it's pretty exiting. But now that I think on it, my boat has dummy lights so I assume the sending units simply ground out the lights when a limit is crossed. So I'll need to replace them with we units meant for gauges.

Now how do I find them...
GregSteimel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 10:46   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Does anyone know where you can find a list of all the new Triton screens? The manuals and other downloadable materials do not show all the new screens mentioned in this thread. I find that incredible, since the screens are what the maker are selling. Why would they bother to create them if you can't even find out what the unit will do?

I am particularly interested in this:

"Complete engine functions - the number of functions it will display is quite large and all of them can be graphed and temporally analyzed"

From the original post in this thread. "Complete" -- is which? Is there fuel flow? Doesn't B&G have a list anywhere of this data?

I am on the verge of buying another display, and it will be a Maretron DSM-150 if I can't be sure of getting fuel flow on the Triton.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 10:57   #49

Boat: C&C38-3 WK

I have my T41 at home and had updated it to 2.9. I'll power it tonight and see if I can find the answer.
PeterSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 12:57   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSailor View Post
I have my T41 at home and had updated it to 2.9. I'll power it tonight and see if I can find the answer.
Thanks!

I can't believe there is no documentation for these functions!!!
Old 20-02-2014, 17:32   #51

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Thanks!

I can't believe there is no documentation for these functions!!!
Uhhh, don't you have like a dozen of these? Can't you just turn one on and look?

The documentation for these displays have always been behind the functionality being added. I guess that is a good thing because I would hate to have functionality delayed just so documentation people can catch up.

And since many of these screens are the same type of data display, only using different data inputs, it doesn't make much sense to document them all (imagine documentation for a wind histogram, a depth histogram, a pressure histogram, a speed histogram, a temp histogram, etc, etc.).

They should, however, provide a list of PGN's that they accept and use.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 18:07   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

Uhhh, don't you have like a dozen of these? Can't you just turn one on and look?

The documentation for these displays have always been behind the functionality being added. I guess that is a good thing because I would hate to have functionality delayed just so documentation people can catch up.

And since many of these screens are the same type of data display, only using different data inputs, it doesn't make much sense to document them all (imagine documentation for a wind histogram, a depth histogram, a pressure histogram, a speed histogram, a temp histogram, etc, etc.).

They should, however, provide a list of PGN's that they accept and use.

Mark
Screenshots, at least! How hard can that be??

Yes, I have a few, but not updated, and presently 5000 miles away from me.

Do they do fuel flow, or not?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 20-02-2014, 18:36   #53

Yes, they do fuel flow.
Old 20-02-2014, 18:40   #54

Complete list of engine data:
- RPM
- Engine Trim (whatever it is)
- Alternator voltage
- Fuel rate
- Percent engine load
- Percent engine torque
- Oil Temp
- Engine Temp
- Water Pressure
- Fuel Pressure
- Boost Pressure
- Oil Pressure
- Hours used

I'll post picture of available page that those data can be used in, in few minutes.
Old 20-02-2014, 19:05   #55

Can put engine data in Nine Panel, Four Panel Equal, Four Panel Horizontal (as bellow), Analog, Graphics (lower 3 panel only).

However, cannot have them in a trend, like the wind speed and direction trends.

72.3 L/h? Wow, need a big tank...

Old 15-03-2014, 03:46   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm finally reunited with my boat. Updated my Zeus Z8, then tried to update my Tritons - no luck -- "Reprogramming Failed" at various points in the process, just like the other poster.

Has anyone found a solution?
Old 15-03-2014, 06:41   #57

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Have you tried them one at a time? Or possibly shorten the network so that only the Tritons are on it? I have randomly had this message before when updating, but just doing the update again has solved it.

I find this type of behavior is common for just about everything with firmware that needs updating - routers, computers, wifi devices, etc - sometimes the update randomly fails and needs to be reapplied. Don't know why that is...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 08:17   #58

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Has anyone mounted a Triton in the overhead above your bunk? I'd sure like to have a "tell tale" display in the middle of the night or when I'm off-watch and need reassurance that all is well underway.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 09:51   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Has anyone mounted a Triton in the overhead above your bunk? I'd sure like to have a "tell tale" display in the middle of the night or when I'm off-watch and need reassurance that all is well underway.
It's a great idea. But here are two which might be even better:

1. Mount a 7" Zeus above your bunk. It's not that much more expensive than a Triton (about $850 with the rebate), gives all the data which the Triton can plus much more - will display chart plus radar. I would love to be able to look up at the chart display will resting off-watch, or sleeping at anchor.

2. Use a tablet computer connected via Go Free. This can be used not only at your bunk but at other places. This is actually what I have been doing for some years, only without the Go Free (I have been using INavX). It's nice to have anchor alarm and chart display at your bunk. Even better if it's linked to your network like Go Free.
Old 15-03-2014, 09:53   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Have you tried them one at a time? Or possibly shorten the network so that only the Tritons are on it? I have randomly had this message before when updating, but just doing the update again has solved it.

I find this type of behavior is common for just about everything with firmware that needs updating - routers, computers, wifi devices, etc - sometimes the update randomly fails and needs to be reapplied. Don't know why that is...

Mark
I tried one at a time which also didn't work. Fail warning and the software was really not updated. Next I will try isolating them as others have suggested.