Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 13:04   #16

Boat: Hardin Seawolf 44'
Re: Autopilot for Hydraulic Steering Sailboat

I recently installed a SIMRAD system on my ketch (35,000 lbs). I had a shop put the hydraulics in and then I did the rest. It was pretty easy and with a converter my Garmin GPS talks to the Simnet system. I used the SIMRAD tech support while putting the unit in, they responded in a day or so and were very helpful. Most of the manufacturers have great webpages that will help identify which components you need.
I also spoke with several shops at a recent boat show, got 3 estimates for the kit and installation before I spent any money. I've only used it for about 5 hours so far, it works like a champ. 2 hours were while doing 5 knts across a bumpy ocean. I couldn't be happier with my pilot.
Dano72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 15:22   #17

Boat: 48 Californian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
Which Comnav autopilot (they make a range of course)?
Currently I'm am using a 1401. That is about as basic as you can get and virtually indestructible. 28 sea state adjustments and it takes it's commands from Rosepoint. For point and shoot it can't be beat and if you are going to run a route or waypoints from a plotter or computer or off a wind vane why do you need all those buttons switches and dials. My boat is 55,000# and 750 hp and it holds her steady as a rock.
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 14:08   #18

Boat: aluminium twin keel, Laurent Giles, 62 foot

This looked like a thread with experienced people and hopefully knowledgeable to answer this question. Are the Comnav constant running pumps (CRA pumps) actually from Octopus?
heintje23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 14:19   #19

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

We installed a Simrad autopilot on our 40,000-pound ketch a little over two years ago and have since logged over 13,000 miles, virtually all of which have been steered by the autopilot. Our steering is the Mamba system by Whitlock and is not hydraulic, though. Regardless, we've been delighted with its performance and features. I can highly recommend it.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, hydraulic steering, sailboat, steering