Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2008, 10:15   #1

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Anyone have experience with security cameras?

I am installing covert security cameras on a customer's boat to find some bad boys. The unit I have selected is designed for police cars, ferries and busses, capable of withstanding G forces, and able to record four channels plus audio for over a week, before recording over. The cameras have 130 degree fields, color, high resolution (400 lines), Infra red night vision to 15 feet, and are sealed for extreme weather. Everything uses 12 volts DC. The hard disk is removable to a separate unit that connects to my laptop to produce DVDs and photos for prosecution of the bad boys. I'm purchasing this equipment from an internet supplier, with whom I've been working for several years, so I know their reliability and service.

If any of the folks in the forum have any suggestions that may help in discovering additional suppliers or products, I'm open to input. I'll send some more info on my system when I have things up and running. I plan to eventually install this on my own boat to provide full exterior coverage and have one channel/camera available for underwater or Forward Looking Infra Red (FLIR) camera coverage in pitch black conditions.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:12   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
So you now have a video of some people trashing your boat. If it's anything like the hundreds of videos broadcast every year of punks robbing convenience stores nothing much comes of it. Some marina storage yards now have webcams that you can access at home, hundreds of miles away. I don't know what I'd do if I saw my boat being broken into 1500 miles away. Call 911?
Old 04-06-2008, 12:47   #3

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
I suppose tools like these are not suitable for everyone's needs. They have worked with delicious results in the area in which I work and live. It's especially satisfying to see the authorities present the evidence and cuff the bad boys. The charges appear to stick, as well. After a while, the available pool of dumber deviants gets drained, then we have to craft more entertaining ways to send criminals to alternate, less defended sites of "opportunity".

In the meantime, does anyone have actual suggestions for alternate sources or systems?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote