Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2017, 14:40   #46

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: AIS Registration, MMSI Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Enough View Post
For that all you need is a receiver. You silence the transmitter.

If recreational vessels have class B it improves the range within which other vessels (commercial and recreational) will become aware of their presence, speed, course, etc. That improves safety at sea.

No one can see an AIS signal that is silenced. It is irresponsible IMO to tell people to turn their transmitters off except for reasons of personal security.

Let'a just agree to disagree. There is no reason, other than cost, for recreational vessels to not have properly configured and operating AIS B. Even if some poorly run commercial vessels filter out class B that is not a valid reason not to have it on recreational craft.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 17:06   #47

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorman7225 View Post
Do most boaters who spend a month or more in the Bahamas each winter get the FCC mmsi registration, or do they just go with the BoatUS version?

The Boat US MMSI numbers are not in other national databases. So you are taking a chance with a BoatUS MMSI when away from US territorial waters. Whether other people do it or not is not the question. The question is whether you want to be rescued or not. It's possible the Bahamas may contact the US but is that a risk worth taking?

There is also US law that requires you to have an FCC ships license when outside the US.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 18:57   #48

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

While the BoatUS MMSI is not in the ITU database, it will enable your AIS transmitter and VHF DSC--they will not work at all without an MMSI. In the case of the AIS, other ships will see you and you will be identified by your vessel name--not strictly legal, but much better than no AIS. In the case of the DSC, if you hit the red button with the BoatUS MMSI, alarms will go off on every vessel within range, proclaiming a mayday and giving your position. I seriously don't think the Bahamanian authorities or nearby vessels will ignore the alarm, and in the case of an emergency you are authorized to communicate by any means possible.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 04:49   #49

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorman7225 View Post
Do most boaters who spend a month or more in the Bahamas each winter get the FCC mmsi registration, or do they just go with the BoatUS version?
This, from the BOATUS FAQ, may help you decide:
Quote:
Q: I am a recreational boater in the United States but regularly go into Canadian waters. Can I still use the BoatUS MMSI? While Canada is considered “international waters” which calls for an FCC Ship Station License, it is our understanding that Canada is not enforcing US regulations. Canada has also de-licensed recreational boaters. That does not mean they can not or will not require it if given reason to do so. If you proceed to operate in the shared waters without license you do so at your own risk. Under international treaties to which the US is a party, you are required to have an FCC license to transmit your radio in a foreign port. It is recommended for Mexico, bahamas and the Caribbean etc. BoatUS and the GMDSS Task Force are working to have the FCC lift the rule for Canada and the bahamas. Also, the U.S. & Canadian Coast Guard are working together to respond to any distresses in the border waters.
Old 26-02-2017, 08:42   #50

Boat: 1979 San Juan 7.7M

Thanks so much, your post was very helpful as the previous posts, The actual costs for the station license and the MMSI is $290.
Old 26-02-2017, 08:49   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
US$ 210 made of two fees ($50+$160) paid together.
Just checked and purchasing mine today. Price has increased to $290 combined.
Old 26-02-2017, 09:37   #52

I tried posting a general thank you to all for participating in the thread, but it doesn't look like it went through. I'd like you all to know that I both appreciate and welcome your advice and opinions. I'm not so sure I benefited very much from the "heated discussion", non the less; I came away from the discussion armed, educated and informed enough to apply for my FCC station/mmsi license today. I plan to depart for "the gulf" by the end of March, so maybe I'll be fortunate enough to "see" some of you on the water in the near future. Thanks again for everything ....
Old 26-02-2017, 21:30   #53

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Enough View Post
I have to go to work now for the next 4 to 6 months, 24/7 except for brief stops in Spain, Italy, Greece, Djibouti, UAE & Bahrain. Working as an Electronics Technician aboard ship maintaining, supporting and repairing the ship's electronic systems for a living.
I do not work on boats for a living. But I did spend some time on the bridge of a big freighter.
There is a travel agent here in Switzerland that organizes cruises on freighters. I spend a week aboard a container ship going from Rotterdam to Ireland. And we got unlimited access to the bridge, and had a lot of interesting conversations with the skipper. It did allow me some very good insights in what encounters between the big guys and us small boaters look like from the other side.
I asked the master what the single must useful thing is that a small yacht could do to make life easier for him, and his answer was: Get a AIS transponder.

There was certainly no "ignoring of Class B targets" on his bridge, at least not while at sea. In crowded harbors and approaches AIS was basically ignored and several pairs of eyeballs were used in stead.
I remember leaving Cork on sunday while the local yachties were out in force. AIS would have given lots of collision warnings, but it was just ignored. In stead the ship just proceeded along its channel and left it to the small boats to get out of the way. (Entirely in accordance with the Colregs)
The locals know that, and no hairy situations arose.
But once at sea, and especially in the English channel the officer of the watch did pay attention to AIS targets, also to class B targets. They do watch out for you.

So that an AIS transponder is useless I would tend to disagree with.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 13:54   #54

First I want to acknowledge an error I made in a previous post: The cost of the MMSI and Ships Station License has not gone up to $290. it is still $220. The additional $70 dollars was for the Restricted Radio Operators license which is also required when operating a radio in foreign domains.

The good news? I now have all three !!!

Tags
ais, registration