Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2016, 07:55   #46

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: AIS, Receiver or Transmitter

I haven't read through all the responses, and am not interested in the inevitable debate. I have receive-only, and am happy with it. I currently cruise in a fairly busy area, with lots of commercial and smaller zippy traffic. Receive is a useful tool.

Not opposed to transmit. I just don't feel the need. And truth be told, I'm not sure I want everyone knowing I'm here. Collision avoidance remains my responsibility. AIS gives me useful information, but doesn't absolve me from this responsibility ... nor would I want it to.

Perhaps if I were a solo sailor I'd want AIS-transmit, but luckily I'm not .
Old 01-09-2016, 07:58   #47

Boat: Triswood 35, "L'interdit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Warning: Some may consider the following to be arrogant!
The AIS architecture hinges on transmissions! If everyone had a receive-only device there would be zero transmissions to listen to!
If everyone had a receive-only... It is mandatory for most boats to have TX/TR.

From Wikipedia: The International Maritime Organization's International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea requires AIS to be fitted aboard international voyaging ships with gross tonnage (GT) of 300 or more, and all passenger ships regardless of size.
Vortec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:23   #48

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Not disputing the fact that only a small percentage of vessels have AIS. Only stating the IF one decides that AIS is an important tool, deciding to not participate in the system, is a bad decision. ............
One could easily decide that receive only is all he or she needed. It's a valid decision..

Quote:
It is mandatory for most boats to have TX/TR.

I suppose it depends on the country, but in the USA, most recreational boats are not required to transmit AIS. Most commercial boats are, but the assumption here is that we are discussing recreational boats.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:32   #49

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

We have the Vesper AIS transceiver and rate it with GPS and broadband radar as the most useful electronic device on board. It is on all the time and sips power. We are with those that consider it a no brained like having your navigation lights on. Sure we are still responsible but why not help those that have problems seeing our small craft? We also have noticed that commercial ships respond more readily now that they get a beep when we approach each other and they are almost without exception polite and sometimes eager to talk.

We disagree with those that consider it useful only in busy waters. Here in the Indian Ocean encounters are sometimes infrequent but that simply means that alertness can flag on both ends. AIS transceivers help enormously in lowering the probability of collisions and are worth their weight in gold.

Go for transceivers!

Jim
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:44   #50

Boat: Saltram 40

I don't know where you intend to sail, but I am based in Malaysia and visit Thailand where Transmit and Receive AIS are required by law.

Graham H
Ellida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:45   #51

Boat: Prout

Purchased an AIS receiver 4 years ago for solo circumnavigation. Best thing ever along with autohelm and gps. My only regret was that I never spent an extra few hundred for a transceiver. With that my wife can also follow me. Next time it will definitely be the latter!

Sent from my SM-T555 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
inchcailloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:47   #52

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I haven't read through all the responses, and am not interested in the inevitable debate. I have receive-only, and am happy with it. I currently cruise in a fairly busy area, with lots of commercial and smaller zippy traffic. Receive is a useful tool.

Not opposed to transmit. I just don't feel the need. And truth be told, I'm not sure I want everyone knowing I'm here. Collision avoidance remains my responsibility. AIS gives me useful information, but doesn't absolve me from this responsibility ... nor would I want it to.

Perhaps if I were a solo sailor I'd want AIS-transmit, but luckily I'm not .
So, you are OK with taking advantage of the generosity of others that have equipped their vessels with AIS transceivers so you can avoid a collision with them. But, you don't feel the need to extend that same generosity to fellow sailors so they can avoid you?

Most can only hope to achieve your level of competence at collision avoidance skills such that we don't care whether other vessels see us.

I do agree on the privacy issues, when AIS is extended to the Internet it is an extreme privacy breach, hence I only transmit when conditions warrant. If/when ISO fixes the privacy breach, I'll consider transmitting full time when moving.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:48   #53

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortec View Post
If everyone had a receive-only... It is mandatory for most boats to have TX/TR.

From Wikipedia: The International Maritime Organization's International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea requires AIS to be fitted aboard international voyaging ships with gross tonnage (GT) of 300 or more, and all passenger ships regardless of size.
Great but your reference just means that most pleasure craft ( thats what our boats are) don't need AIS and MOST boats DO NOT have AIS Tx/RX!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:00   #54

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
So, you are OK with taking advantage of the generosity of others that have equipped their vessels with AIS transceivers so you can avoid a collision with them. But, you don't feel the need to extend that same generosity to fellow sailors so they can avoid you?

Most can only hope to achieve your level of competence at collision avoidance skills such that we don't care whether other vessels see us.

I do agree on the privacy issues, when AIS is extended to the Internet it is an extreme privacy breach, hence I only transmit when conditions warrant. If/when ISO fixes the privacy breach, I'll consider transmitting full time when moving.
Yup .

You can get all moral about it if you like. But let me ask you, how many collisions did you have before AIS? How many since? In fact, if AIS is such a great benefit, and now that we've had many years of experience, please show me the data that demonstrates the vast improvement in collisions. I've looked, and can't find the evidence.

It's a tool. A useful tool. No one forces you to transmit, so thanks for doing so . I'm fine.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:00   #55

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

Recently installed a Raymarine AIS650 (I know, kinda old kit, but was new out of the box) on my current project (27-meter antique German yacht). Fired it up and using ProAIS2 entered in the vessel's info, dimensions, et al. Energized the splitter and VHF Radio and started testing for functionality. I'm seeing the port and shipping traffic in Safaga, Egypt and the shipping channel in the Red Sea (Great! Works as advertised so far!) And then the calls start coming in on the VHF from the Port Authority and a couple of merchant ships: (vessel's name), are you in need of assitance? We show your position as being hard aground. What is your status? Over.

Couldn't help but laugh and went over to six-eight and explained that; No, no assistance required as we are currently on the hard inside of a hanger approximately 100-meters from the water's edge and I was in the process of testing the newly installed AIS Class B Transceiver (Shipyard is not marked on the charts, only a shipwreck sitting offshore on a reef). Got a few chuckles from the merchants, Port Authority requested me to stop transmitting as it was causing unnecessary clutter on channel 16 (understandable).

The point is, other ships saw what they assumed was a vessel aground and made contact. In addition to collision avoidance it can also let other vessels know if you are in extremis whether or not you called out on VHF/DSC.

The argument for Tx/Rx vs. Rx only is that, IMHO, unless it is required to have Tx/Rx capability due to size of vessel, operating area, etc. it is a valuable, but optional, piece of equipment to have onboard. The Rx units that are out there for sale also serve a useful purpose concerning safety and collision avoidance to the boater that can't afford the added expense of purchasing and installing the added equipment a Tx/Rx unit requires. As someone previously stated, Rx places the onus of responsibility on him/her (as it should be anyway) as he/she can see others and make an informed decision concerning collision avoidance. Rx only is just another tool to make sailing safer...just not at the same level as a transceiver.

Am currently ordering equipment outfit my little new-to-me 27-foot pocket cruiser back in the States while living and working in Egypt so that when I repatriate next April I have something to keep me busy while relearning my country after being gone for 20-years. Have been gifted a Raymarine Radar (wifi), MFD, and some other Raymarine kit...so I guess I'm stuck with Raymarine. So will be purchasing a transceiver and Easy-Split splitter in addition to a lot of other stuff.

Rx only...can make one safe, Tx/Rx...can make one safer (My opinion only)
Old 01-09-2016, 09:11   #56

Boat: Custom 55

Hi guys, it's that arrogant guy checking in again...

'No brainer' is simply a figure of speech, as is 'end of story'. But, I also have a ton of experience pre-and post AIS, both commercially and recreationally. I've seen both sides in spades, and am absolutely convinced that to a person, you would all agree with my assessment on this one if you had the same experience. I've never met a professional captain who wishes he didn't have an AIS in traffic. Not one, ever.

Anyway, It seems like we're divided into 2.5 camps here. Those who have AIS all LOVE it, and I agree that if you're going to fit it, a TX unit should be installed. A big part of safety is being seen as well as seeing.

The second camp is the ones who don't have it, don't want it, and don't like it being suggested that they should have it. Well, fine, that's your choice.

But, I'm dead serious when I say that this is the most important safety innovation since the advent of GPS, and good seamanship does tend to suggest that one should take advantage of all available means to assess and avoid collisions. AIS is just that good at providing this info.

Maybe take a nice overnight sail on a crowded waterway, maybe in limited visibility, both with and without, and see how you feel after you're done with each trip?

Just because the IMO has only mandated it for vessels over 300GRT does not mean that it's not an outstanding piece of kit for everyone.

If it's out of the budget, I certainly would not suggest to anybody that they should delay sailing plans due to the equipment's absence, but for the majority of people cruising, it does not represent a big investment in the boat.

Of course, if you confine your activities to day outings where the visibility is always good and there's not a lot of shipping around, you don't need it, of course. This should go without saying. But when people talk about 'cruising', it pretty much inevitably involves areas that interact with shipping to some degree.

TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:14   #57

Boat: DownEaster 38

I am facing the same decision. Currently planning to get a new VHF radio with AIS receiver built in. I want to upgrade the radio to have DSC capabilities, too. But I could go for a radio without AIS and have a separate transceiver. More bucks, of course. What make/model transceiver would be best?
Thanks in advance.
Robert
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:16   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Hi guys, it's that arrogant guy checking in again...

'No brainer' is simply a figure of speech, as is 'end of story'. But, I also have a ton of experience pre-and post AIS, both commercially and recreationally. I've seen both sides in spades, and am absolutely convinced that to a person, you would all agree with my assessment on this one if you had the same experience. I've never met a professional captain who wishes he didn't have an AIS in traffic. Not one, ever.

Anyway, It seems like we're divided into 2.5 camps here. Those who have AIS all LOVE it, and I agree that if you're going to fit it, a TX unit should be installed. A big part of safety is being seen as well as seeing.

The second camp is the ones who don't have it, don't want it, and don't like it being suggested that they should have it. Well, fine, that's your choice.

But, I'm dead serious when I say that this is the most important safety innovation since the advent of GPS, and good seamanship does tend to suggest that one should take advantage of all available means to assess and avoid collisions. AIS is just that good at providing this info.

Maybe take a nice overnight sail on a crowded waterway, maybe in limited visibility, both with and without, and see how you feel after you're done with each trip?

Just because the IMO has only mandated it for vessels over 300GRT does not mean that it's not an outstanding piece of kit for everyone.

If it's out of the budget, I certainly would not suggest to anybody that they should delay sailing plans due to the equipment's absence, but for the majority of people cruising, it does not represent a big investment in the boat.

Of course, if you confine your activities to day outings where the visibility is always good and there's not a lot of shipping around, you don't need it, of course. This should go without saying. But when people talk about 'cruising', it pretty much inevitably involves areas that interact with shipping to some degree.

TJ
Thank you. Very well said and I think sums up the matter quite nicely. Even better that this comes from someone with a good deal of experience with AIS on both sides of the issue, ships and yachts.

skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:19   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcd625 View Post
I am facing the same decision. Currently planning to get a new VHF radio with AIS receiver built in. I want to upgrade the radio to have DSC capabilities, too. But I could go for a radio without AIS and have a separate transceiver. More bucks, of course. What make/model transceiver would be best?
Thanks in advance.
Robert
Have heard great reports from everyone that has purchased a Vesper Marine AIS. They have several models including a standalone unit with it's own display and one that integrates into an existing MFD via NMEA cable. As a bonus some models (all? not sure) come with a very good anchor watch and alarm to warn against dragging anchor.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:19   #60

Boat: Custom 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcd625 View Post
Thanks in advance.
Robert

We have the Vesper Watchmate Vision (the touch screen one with the WIFI.

It's really a great unit. I like that it's standalone, and has coastal outlines included. It helps a lot with the situational awareness. The price is pretty good too. I would wholeheartedly recommend that one. It can easily interface with your plotter too via 0183/2000. The wifi makes it viewable from down below on a tablet. Brilliant.

TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais