Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2015, 11:18   #1

Boat: Stevens Custom 50
ACR EPIRB failure

We have a 10-year-old 406 EPIRB from ACR, model 2759. The other day, we tested the unit by moving the switch to TEST, waiting for the beep and releasing it. No response -- so, time to renew or replace the unit.

We were about to fly back to the States anyway, so we dismounted the EPIRB from its bracket and put it in our duffel. The driver had to push to get the duffel into the small La Paz taxi, then slammed the trunk lid on it. Ten minutes later, as we were paying the cabby, we received an urgent call from our daughter in California. She had just gotten off the phone with the US Coast Guard, which had received a notification that our EPIRB had just gone off! I called the Duty Officer and assured her that we were not in trouble (luckily, I had the unit with me so I could read the number off to her). I then checked, and as I had thought, the yellow plastic tab, that must be removed or dissolved before the ON switch works, was still securely in place. I removed the screws attaching the base to the sender and disconnected the wires to the battery, as instructed by the USCG Duty Officer, and all was well. (Of course, doing this supposedly voided the warranty.)

So, good news -- the USCG EPIRB system proved to be fast and efficient, getting word to our designated point of contact (my daughter) incredibly quickly. Bad news -- the 2759 can go active when it's maltreated, even without the yellow safety tag being pulled or the unit being submerged.

This unit is no longer supported by ACR, but if it can go off without being activated, can other units? The USCG Duty Officer told me this happens occasionally, so we're not the only people to experience it.
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 12:15   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: ACR EPIRB failure

I would think most any kind of switches contacts could be forced closed if hit hard enough, of course just as likely to be broken so it wouldn't activate at all.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 12:30   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

10 years old and still functioning. Amazing battery life assuming the unit still had the original batteries. Don't these things have a 5 year life?? Solution to the issue is don't slam the trunk on your Epirb.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 15:06   #4

Boat: Bristol 29

Many electronics behave unpredictably when supplied with low voltage. The false alarm as likely may have been triggered by the weak battery as by the impact. I replace my battery when it's 5 years expires. Cheap insurance.

BTW, I'm impressed with the response! Three cheers for the Coast Guard!
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epirb