Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2024, 20:51   #31

Boat: Privilege 435
Re: The Slow Demise of the Sailing Forum

It does stink that a lot of the rude commentary on the forum probably scares people away, but there is such a wealth of information.

The Facebook groups in totality I’m sure are much more popular, but each can have its place no?
Old 08-01-2024, 21:13   #32

Boat: Mac360, looking for something a little bigger

For those of you who dont like things about facebook try fluff buster, it let you remove ads, sort posts and generally reduces the crap that clutters up the page...

i hate ads with a passion so ive blocked all of them.

Gotta agree that FB is not for long term storage of posts tho, i much prefer actual forums for that...
Foveaux Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 01:25   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
A gradual evolution is called for I think, something like how the the shape of the coke bottle changed. Not a radical change like twitter to X.
I'm at a stage, in my mental degeneration, where I don't welcome change, as much as our more nimble-minded members.
So, I'm [relatively] happy that our Forum is changing, at a pace, similar to that of the Coke bottle shape.

The Root Glass Company patent, on the distinctive Coke bottle, was granted on November 16th, 1915.
By 1951, all patents on the shape had expired. The company approached the Patent Office that the bottles shape, “distinctively shaped contour,” was so well known that it should be granted Trademark status. While it was highly unusual for a commercial package to be granted that status, on April 12th, 1961, the Coca Cola bottle was recognized as a trademark, in part bolstered by the fact that a 1949 study showed that less than 1% of Americans could not identify the bottle of Coke by shape alone.
One of the interesting notes about the shape is that, while it is almost universally recognized, the form has evolved over the years. Just as the original patent from 1915 was a slightly fatter shape than the bottle that went into production, today's aluminum bottle is a 22nd century update of the classic design.

More ➥ https://www.coca-colacompany.com/abo...contour-bottle

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 01:28   #34

Boat: Stuart 47

My suspicion is that here on CF there are many serious cruisers/knowledgable participants.
The user posting a question, who has clearly not done any background reading or research into their problem is scorned/somewhat ignored, by the group. The attitude perhaps being "why should I spend my time answering a dumb question when I had to learn the hard way"
Whereas on FB there seems to be a rush to answer any/all question(s), perhaps the person answering is seeking attention as much as providing a useful answer. The more posts, the more attention and the greater their influencer status.
It's a totally different reason for being on the media
Each format has its purpose and its audience
Toccata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 04:01   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Some Forum posters may be selfish, ungrateful narcissists, but you gotta give 'em credit.
They are always there, when they need us.

Some people say I'm selfish
But, it's an opinion, I don't share.

Old 09-01-2024, 05:19   #36

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Confianza View Post
It does stink that a lot of the rude commentary on the forum probably scares people away...
I keep seeing that sentiment, but frankly I'm not getting that vibe here.

Oh, sure, there are threads which drift off into an exchange of personal barbs. But usually by that time there's not much left to say about the original topic. And, unlike FB, I can just choose not to open that thread any more.

Now that I think about it, an epithet-hurling contest like that would be elevated by the FB algorithm, and it would appear at the top of everyone's list. This is a great example of the difference between forums and FB.

If FB were like a forum, with posts grouped by topic (or author) and, within that, by date, it would be much better. We could choose where to "engage" rather than have the algorithm decide for us.

Of course, in that world Mark Zuckerburg wouldn't be one of the wealthiest individuals on the planet. But I don't consider that a bad thing.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 05:41   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
... If FB were like a forum, with posts grouped by topic (or author) and, within that, by date, it would be much better. We could choose where to "engage" rather than have the algorithm decide for us.

Of course, in that world Mark Zuckerburg wouldn't be one of the wealthiest individuals on the planet. But I don't consider that a bad thing.
Mark Zuckerberg says he wears a grey t-shirt everyday, because he doesn't want to waste time, on things that don't matter.
He runs Facebook.

I share his [implied] view - so here, I am.

Mark Zuckerberg, doing the hardest thing imaginable; explaining Facebook to old people.

Old 09-01-2024, 07:26   #38

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

I will say this... If you want to have your entire history and much of your personal info collected, analyzed, and then redistributed (most available for purchase) on the high seas of the interweb, then by all means do FB. It is perhaps the most blatant abuser of personal info and privacy on the planet today. Zukerberg has all but admitted this with a tone that is quite dismissive and almost taunting like. He is daring the information police to come after them.

That attitude is not for me. Long live the internet and CF!
Old 09-01-2024, 07:55   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Data misuse occurs when individuals or organizations use personal data beyond their stated intentions, in the provider’s terms of use [to which we users agree].
To be clear, data misuse isn’t necessarily theft, Theft occurs when a bad actor takes personal data without permission. Data misuse is when legitimately collected information is disclosed, or applied, in a way, beyond its original purpose.

I haven't read, nor agreed to, Facebook's Terms of Use Agreement - have you, FB users read [& understood] it?

Facebook and Cambridge Analytica Election Influencing:
Perhaps the most infamous example of data misuse, in 2018, news outlets revealed that the UK political consulting firm, Cambridge Analytica, acquired and used personal data from Facebook users, that was initially collected from a third party, for academic research.
In total, Cambridge Analytica misused the data of nearly 87 million Facebook users; many of whom had not given any explicit permission for the company to use, or even access, their information. Within two months of the scandal, Cambridge Analytica was bankrupt and defunct, while Facebook was left with a $5 billion fine, by the Federal Trade Commission.

“I Have Blood on My Hands”: A Whistleblower Says Facebook Ignored Global Political Manipulation
According to BuzzFeed News, a 6,600-word internal memo, from Sophie Zhang, a fired Facebook data scientist details how the social network knew leaders of countries around the world were using their site to manipulate voters -- and failed to act.
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...tleblower-memo

Privacy International [PI]:
Almost everyday a company or government abuses your data. Whether these abuses are intentional or the result of error, we must learn from these abuses so that we can better build tomorrow's policies and technologies. This resource is an opportunity to learn that this has all happened before, as well as a tool to query these abuses.

PI Examples of Abuse ➥ https://privacyinternational.org/examples

Old 09-01-2024, 10:40   #40

Boat: not yet, too soon

Hi all,
So I'm new here although I lurked for a couple years before joining. Also just starting out on the sailing journey. I'm not exactly young (55), and I've never been on facebook. Hmm, maybe I should just stay out of this but here's my opinion for what little it's worth.

I found CF by specifically searching for a sailing forum. I have belonged to an amateur astronomy forum site for years and firmly believe these conglomerates of experience are a huge help to beginners and experienced people in any pursuit.

Yes there are threads that will devolve into arguments, there are going to be, less than helpful, members who simply enjoy telling everybody else that they "do it wrong". And there'll be trolls. The trick is figuring out who is who. There are a number of you fine folks that I will read a thread just because I recognize the name. (even if it is an alias)

I don't have the sailing experience to participate here in any meaningful way yet but hope to eventually. And if I get to that level it will be, in no small part, thanks to things that I have learned here. From people who in most cases I only know by a nickname and a thumbnail pic.

I don't think forum sites like CF are going anywhere. As long as there are people who enjoy the same activities, these forums are so valuable.

Just the two cents of a newbie,
Ty (oop, that's actually my name)
Astrochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 11:03   #41

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I never had facebook or any of its kin. I like the information here and the format. I don't want to see videos or care about who is putting up information.
What i like most is the mostly good information and my ability to help if I have something useful to say on a subject.

I know engines, electrical, plumbing, fire/rescue, EMS and in general what used to be common sense.

I am learning the art of travel by sailboat. I have learned more than a few useful things here and only here. And have met some of the people here too.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 11:12   #42

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCringle View Post
I dont think FB can come close to providing a useful source of information, as well as being a historical record of important discussions and problems. I use the FB Starlink on Boats discussion group regularly. If a question is posted and you dont get an answer fairly quickly, its lost in the FB abyss. Not nearly as handy as the thread structure of a "Old School" forum. The vast majority of the time, I really dont care to delve into the day to day selfies of people I dont know. So I dont really have a lot of use for FB for contacts outside of real friends.

As others have said, FB has its place. But long live the forum.
I absolutely agree with the above. The exceptional help provided by people with skills and knowledge in this forum is never, at least in my experience, replicated on FB. And as others have noted, finding past posts on a topic is really challenging on FB.

I remain super grateful for the people who willingly and quickly share their knowledge in this forum. I cannot imagine that FB can do the same without some significant redesign of its basic architecture.
Old 09-01-2024, 11:17   #43

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
...Mark Zuckerberg, doing the hardest thing imaginable; explaining Facebook to old people....
Actually, I think it's the other way around. As far as I know, every member of my parents' generation in my family is on FB. Even the most technophobic of them can pretty much understand and navigate it. There are some we all wish didn't know how to use it to the extent they do.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 11:39   #44
CLOD

Boat: none

I am on 3 boating forums and I think 5 FB boating related groups.

The only difference I find is that forum threads are easier to read and just go in time of posting order.

Both forums and FB have the same percentage of people more interested in posting than helping or answering a question.
Old 09-01-2024, 11:59   #45
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I am on 3 boating forums and I think 5 FB boating related groups.

The only difference I find is that forum threads are easier to read and just go in time of posting order.

Both forums and FB have the same percentage of people more interested in posting than helping or answering a question.
I'm thinking about what you've posted above and my first reaction was "No way!" Facebook is filled with "garbage" posts.

However on deeper reflection, i have to say the more generic sailing groups on Facebook are primarily "garbage" but the more focused groups can be excellent.

I will add in that it depends upon the sailing forum.

So all I all, I think I have to agree with you here.

But the original question, will these kinds of forums fall into disuse being usurped by more modern platform become a reality? Facebook may not be it, but there certainly could be another that does. So for me, the question really revolves around how do we keep CF, for example, alive and well?

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum, sail, sailing