Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2017, 12:17   #46

Re: Stacking rocks - why?

This is getting deep. Never thought I'd get into a "What is art?" conversation on Cruiser's Forum.
Old 15-09-2017, 12:38   #47

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Many years ago (10?) somebody, going under the name "Rockstar" starting building fantastic, gravity defying piles of stones on Vancouver beaches, including English Bay, Second, and Third Beaches. He built hundreds and they were really quite incredible, impossible to match by ordinary humans.

However, the idea caught on and many, many, Vancouver people make as elaborate piles of stones as they can, on beaches, and in the forests, all over BC.

They have no meaning and generally get knocked over by the next high tide or high wind. They really are an eyesore in an area renowned for its NATURAL (not man-made) beauty.

As a local resident, who has visited Desolation Sound many, many times, I agree with you: knock them over.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 12:45   #48

Search for "rock balancing Vancouver beaches" in Google images to see the origins of this fad.
Old 15-09-2017, 12:49   #49

In some of the images you will see a very large "real" Inukshuk, the symbol of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic games - and which was erected for those games. At first it was surrounded by rose bushes and hedges which seemed a little out of place for an arctic image - but later these were replaced with more realistic gravel.
Old 15-09-2017, 13:11   #50
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

First World Problem/Complaint.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 13:21   #51

Boat: Beneteau First 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Painted rocks are graffiti.

Stacked rocks are a meditative state of being. It's a way to be fully consumed by nothing at all. And if you don't like the rocks stacked on a rocky shoreline, go for a walk and kick them over. But to call it juvenile tells me you've never tried it[emoji106]
I see these along the rivers when I paddle and when sailing on the glaciated granite islands of anchorages on Georgian Bay. They have no historic, cultural, landmark, nav aid value and the people how think they are doing something meditative, should read the biology of the Five Lined Skink (our only native lizard in Ontario, Canada.) This is a threatened species and those scattered rock the rock artists collect from the granite barrens are Skink habitat. People should think of all the implications of their actions before acting. Wouldn't the world.be a better place? Isn't the travelling in wild spaces motto, "take only pics, leave no trace???
I find it very meditative when I dismantle and scatter the rocks. I do this as soon as I see one because once one shows up every meditative rock.artist wants to create one.... The skinks be damned!
letoile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 13:26   #52

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by letoile View Post
I see these along the rivers when I paddle and when sailing on the glaciated granite islands of anchorages on Georgian Bay. They have no historic, cultural, landmark, nav aid value and the people how think they are doing something meditative, should read the biology of the Five Lined Skink (our only native lizard in Ontario, Canada.) This is a threatened species and those scattered rock the rock artists collect from the granite barrens are Skink habitat. People should think of all the implications of their actions before acting. Wouldn't the world.be a better place? Isn't the travelling in wild spaces motto, "take only pics, leave no trace???
I find it very meditative when I dismantle and scatter the rocks. I do this as soon as I see one because once one shows up every meditative rock.artist wants to create one.... The skinks be damned!
Exactly!!!
LakeSuperior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 14:16   #53

Boat: MacGregor 26X

Ever think the rock stackers might not appreciate your ugly boat desecrating their otherwise breathtakingly beautiful view of the bay?

Seriously, different strokes. Get over it.
MidwestRefugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 14:28   #54

Boat: Beneteau First 235

Not sure what you are doing on this forum if you think boats are ugly. Read my post... Glaciated granite islands...islands.. the only way there is by boat. The rock.stackers come on those ugly boats. My beef was not with the aesthetics of the rocks but the destruction of Skink habitat.
point, set��
letoile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 15:49   #55

Boat: Dufour 35 Classic

We saw lots of stone piles at North Cape in Norway this July.
The local Parks people had some signs asking visitors to refrain from moving stones as this destroyed habitats for insects and lizards, and contributed to erosion in what was a fragile environment.

As our Australian National Parks advises, "Take only photos, leave only footprints" I might also add "Tread lightly"
inspectr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 15:54   #56

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

I much prefer the stackers to the throwers!

Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 15:58   #57

Inukshuk means "like a person" in Inuktitut, which is the "people's" language, which is spoken by "the people" known as the Inuit.

I was privileged in my youth to to be able to travel extensively throughout Nunavut and have visited places and seen things few westerners have seen. I hunted with the people, I ate with them, I shared their joys and sorrows, and I learned what it means to endure life in one of the harshest environments inhabited by man.

There's a difference between an Inukshuk and a cairn. Inukshuk have purposes and deep significance beyond the casual cairn builder's need for self gratification.

Whenever I see a cairn defacing an otherwise pristine wilderness area I push it over and scatter the stones. Maybe if you are a cairn builder you have made your mark on a place I have already returned to nature. Don't worry, next time I pass by again I will push your pile of rocks over allowing you an opportunity to deface the wilderness yet again.

Consider me doing you a favor by making more pristine wilderness available for you to deface with your purposeless visual clutter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1481.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	156141  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 17:56   #58
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
Absolutely. That's what a cruising boat represents - a ticket to go where 99% of others haven't been.

Ironically the "wildest" place I've ever been on land was north of Cairns (!!!) way up on Cape York.
I hear you!

Having resided and travelled extensively in the northern parts of Cape York in the mid / late 70's I would say the "wildest" parts were the remotely populated areas while the unpopulated ares were the most pristine - not so much today but that has always been the case I guess.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 18:04   #59

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro67coupe View Post
Stacking rocks is graffiti? Maybe you should invest in some self help books or something. Some skin thickening is what you need

If stacked rocks get under some people's skin I'd hate to see what loosely moderated internet forums would do.
boatsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 19:18   #60

Boat: Newport 30

I've been blessed to visit many beautiful places on this planet. Desolation sound is simply stunning, and must be visited to believe. But primeval nature it is not. The hand of man has been part of the scenery here for thousands of years. Someone building a pile of rocks is completely fine. The pile will be gone by next year. I wish all of man's creations were so temporary.

Steve
westwon is offline   Reply With Quote