Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2016, 17:19   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Seeking comments from one who has bought a boat out of charter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
In regards to the engine hours I disagree. I've seen many and I mean many yanmars with 4000+ hours still going strong. I recently wrote in another post of a friends yanmar with 14,500 hrs on it. 10,000 hrs is definitely possible.
Alot of good information on cruisers forum and alot of not so good.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

They are the exception though.
Thinking about it, I have never, ever worn out any kind of engine except for something like a chainsaw, and I have put more than 250,000 miles on automobiles and still they burned no appreciable oil, and yet I see all the time autos on the road that I know don't have 100K on them and are smoking, why?
I think it is because I over maintain things, every three to four year all fluids get flushed and changed and I always run a good synthetic oil and premium filter, and change frequently.
I change the oil in the boat every six months, which amounts to on average about every 50 hours.

I don't think many or most don't do that, those cars I see smoking I believe get the $20 oil change every now and again, but not on a regular schedule, same with most engines, boats included.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 17:46   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
In regards to the engine hours I disagree. I've seen many and I mean many yanmars with 4000+ hours still going strong. I recently wrote in another post of a friends yanmar with 14,500 hrs on it. 10,000 hrs is definitely possible.
Alot of good information on cruisers forum and alot of not so good.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I'm certainly no engine expert....however, I've been told that running diesels unloaded is not a good thing long term.

Charterer boat engines run a lot unloaded..... Moorings wants at least 2 hours a day to keep the batteries charged. Not a problem for the motoring crowd.
Old 26-08-2016, 22:11   #18

I ran some searches on yachtworld, looking at older catamarans, and I only found one boat with much more than 5,000 hours on the engines (9,000 hours in this case). And I know of many boats that had engines replaced around 2,500 hours.

Based on my research, I would say 5,000 hours is about max you can reasonably expect, often less if not properly maintained.

But it's easy enough to do your own research. There are 1000's of boats on yachtworld, and most listings include engine hours.
fabgo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, men