Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2014, 09:57   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Sailboat Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishigan View Post
I googled the naming. I already have a name ready to go. Thanks to Van Morrison.
Don't know if you found this database but just in case here's a link to the list of all boats documented with the US Coast Guard.

I've been trying to pick a name for a couple of years and almost every one I tried I have found several, sometimes dozens of boats that already have the same name. Even names in Spanish, French, Irish are common. Very depressing. Would like to pick a name that is at least somewhat unique but without being too strange but sure isn't easy.

Office of Science and Technology
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:13   #17

Boat: TBD

Thanks for that link.
I had a feeling there would be a few named either "Into The Mystic" or "Mystic"
One of Van Morrisons best songs.
Fishigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 12:24   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Thanks for that link.
Over 300 boat names with Mystic, Into the Mystic (about 30), Mystic Lady. Same thing happens every time I think I've found a good name.

Quote:
One of many excellent songs by Van Morrison. 154 boats named Moondance or Moondancer. 46 more if add a space between the words.

Quote:
Thanks for that link.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 13:29   #19
cruiser

I have an Oday 32, the 37 is a stretched version of the same. Yea the Oday gets no love on CF But it's pretty roomy for a boat of it's size due to the aft cabin and huge boxy transom. There are plenty of 36' boats out there that are aft cockpit and seem way smaller inside. Not many boats are all set up to go cruising so if the Odays cheap, it could offset the cost of prepping her to go. In the past 4 years I've easily spent 40k+ beyond boat cost to get it where I want it. It adds up real quick.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 10:57   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
I have an Oday 32, the 37 is a stretched version of the same. Yea the Oday gets no love on CF But it's pretty roomy for a boat of it's size due to the aft cabin and huge boxy transom. There are plenty of 36' boats out there that are aft cockpit and seem way smaller inside. Not many boats are all set up to go cruising so if the Odays cheap, it could offset the cost of prepping her to go. In the past 4 years I've easily spent 40k+ beyond boat cost to get it where I want it. It adds up real quick.
I have read several good reviews on O'Days and they look nice enough. Not sure why they get no love though.
Old 14-04-2014, 11:14   #21

Option 2 for a name is not taken by anyone.... Niiice. Just have to get approval from the wife.... who just may want a hand in it all.
As for other things,,,,, was in Key West with the family Thursday and met a guy that was.... well..... unique to say the least. Was making a comment (the one I use every time I'm in the Keys) with the conch fritter guy and the mojito maker about "someday..... I'm coming down here and I am not going back. Might have to get a sailboat to live on and give you boys some friendly competition."
Well.... turns out the conch guy lives on a sailboat. Was an interesting conversation with a unique fellow. Showed me his hand line for fishing, spear gun, and some other stuff. Was using it that morning before work.
This guy doesn't know it, but..... I could do it. Drop my cell phone in the garbage, leave the keys on the dash of the car with a note, and jump on a boat and go. Fish for food, work at a conch fritter stand, drink mojitos, and let it all go.
For some reason that does seem a little unrealistic to do though. But a guy can dream about it.
Old 30-04-2014, 22:08   #22

Fishigan, you and I have the same retirement plans. I live on the Gulf Coast and like you own a center console fishing boat. I fish and dive a lot and really spend a lot of time in the water but do not have sailing experience. I plan on attending an ASA sailing course in Ft. Lauderdale towards the end of the summer. This will be my first time sailing a boat. I have purchased their study materials and am at least preparing for the book portion of the class. My retirement sailing plans are the keys, Bahamas and throughout the Caribbean. As others have mentioned, hurricane season can be a problem but there's always the ICW you can cruise up, anchor and see other parts of the country. This forum has helped me tremendously with learning everything I can from budgets to boats. I'm looking at a 36-2 Pearson. My budget is the same as yours.
Rsmith3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat