Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2014, 17:22   #1

Boat: TBD
Sailboat Dreams

Well, to cut to the chase, I am new here. I am an avid fly fisher from the Great Lakes that spends spring breaks in Florida and a fishing trip to Islamorada every other year. (alternate between there and NY)
I would say I know how to handle a boat as I own a 18' footer and rent a 24' when I go to the Keys. However, that doesn't account for much of anything.
I am considering getting a O'Day 37 to use in the Keys and ultimately retire to and sail to the Bahamas.
Is this a boat that will allow me to do this? Where should I begin my journey to knowing what to do?
I know I need to get some lessons and learn a ton of things. Fortunately I have some time before things come to fruition. My youngest son is a freshman in high school. Though I would like to stoop renting a house and a boat every year and get a sailboat to stay on instead.
Thanks to all of you and this site.
Fred
Fishigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 17:30   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Sailboat Dreams

I wouldn't say the O'Day 37 is an offshore boat but for the intended purposes, I think it will do just fine. Is there a reason you want that particular boat?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 18:07   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Fishigan and welcome to the forum.

The Oday will do just fine for what you plan. As far as learning to sail, you already have boating skills and that's a big head start. Operating a sailboat is as much general boating and seamanship as it is how to handle the sails. I could show you the basics of sailing in a day. Would not make you an expert but you could learn enough to get from here to there.

One thing you might not think about is the cost to keep the boat in the keys. Dock rent can be pretty expensive so may not save as much over the cost of a house as you think. There is another benefit to a boat. If you get tired of the neighborhood or don't get along with one of the neighbors you can up anchor and move.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 18:16   #4

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishigan View Post
I am considering getting a O'Day 37 to use in the Keys and ultimately retire to and sail to the Bahamas.
Is this a boat that will allow me to do this? Where should I begin my journey to knowing what to do?

Fred
Fred, friends don't let friends sail O'Days.
Old 09-04-2014, 18:28   #5

Thanks for the prompt responses. I asked about the O'Day 37 as I saw one here in Key Largo and it looks nice. Look like a lot of fun and being from Michigan I see a lot of sail boats. Something I have been thinking about for a while now but am just now getting more serious about it.
The price on the O'Day is attractive. Though I figure I should ask to find out what would be suitable.
Fred
Old 09-04-2014, 19:38   #6
cruiser

Boat: Westsail 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi Fishigan and welcome to the forum.

As far as learning to sail, you already have boating skills and that's a big head start.
Can't tell you how glad I am to read that. I thought I was starting from scratch and now I might be halfway there learning to sail before my lessons come up.
Razoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 19:58   #7

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn

Good Apartment for the Keys
jenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 21:47   #8

What is a good recommendation for a sailboat then? Lets say it is for the wife and I, we like to entertain and want to eventually sail to the Bahamas for the winter. Do not want to spend a 100K either. I have read here and there about couples making it on a grand a month. Our budget would allow us at least that or more. We would probably keep our house in Michigan too. In the next 3 years I would like to be on a sailboat. Solar and wind power is a must. I will peruse thru the forums for info about everything.
Fred
Old 10-04-2014, 02:08   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

fishgen -- do some research on this forum on what it costs to cruise -- answers kinda all over the place -- can you do it on 1,000 a month - maybe if you do not go into a marina or do any major repairs on the boat, ect --
between this forum and a uk forum we are part of the average seems to be about 1,500 on the very low side to 2,500 and up --
remember you can not sail the bahamas during hurricane season - well you can but if a big blow comes it would not be a good day --
so that means you got to store your boat someplace and as said above marinas and storage are expensive -
then you get to do a lot of maintenace on it if you want to keep it floating

we have been out over 6 years and spend between 2,500 to 3,500 depending on how many upgrades we make to the boat but we also are sailing the entire carib and now the med -- we published and shared our cost in the this forum under 5 years of cost data -- the first year was on the east coast and bahamas -- but then again we take good care of our boat and spend a bit extra to make sure she is in great condition and try to do constant upgrades --
can you do it on $1,000 a month -- some here will say you can -- my opinion yes but your boat will suffer as will your lifestyle
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:44   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
fishgen -- do some research on this forum on what it costs to cruise -- answers kinda all over the place -- can you do it on 1,000 a month - maybe if you do not go into a marina or do any major repairs on the boat, ect --
between this forum and a uk forum we are part of the average seems to be about 1,500 on the very low side to 2,500 and up --
remember you can not sail the bahamas during hurricane season - well you can but if a big blow comes it would not be a good day --
so that means you got to store your boat someplace and as said above marinas and storage are expensive -
then you get to do a lot of maintenace on it if you want to keep it floating

we have been out over 6 years and spend between 2,500 to 3,500 depending on how many upgrades we make to the boat but we also are sailing the entire carib and now the med -- we published and shared our cost in the this forum under 5 years of cost data -- the first year was on the east coast and bahamas -- but then again we take good care of our boat and spend a bit extra to make sure she is in great condition and try to do constant upgrades --
can you do it on $1,000 a month -- some here will say you can -- my opinion yes but your boat will suffer as will your lifestyle
Thank you very much. I am clueless about this and I like numbers. I like the more realistic numbers and that will work so I am glad to hear that it is doable on a more realistic scale.
I should say I don't think I thought about docking. I see boats all over here in the Keys anchored randomly about. I really like that idea better. I also see that in the Bahamas too. Well in pics anyway. Only time I have ever been to the Bahamas it was for a fly fishing trip and we didn't stay but a day.
I figure boats are like fly reels, cars, other boats etc.. etc... in that everyone has an opinion.
I guess I need best suitable length and brands. Seems as though O'Day isn't getting a ton of love here.
Fred
Old 11-04-2014, 06:04   #11

So what do you all recommend for boat size? Figure the wife and I are both 6'2". Budget at this point is under 50k.
Boat model recommendations would be appreciated also. I am seeing there are many options available well within our budget, but I do prefer quality over quantity.
Fred
Old 11-04-2014, 12:14   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishigan View Post
So what do you all recommend for boat size? Figure the wife and I are both 6'2". Budget at this point is under 50k.
Boat model recommendations would be appreciated also. I am seeing there are many options available well within our budget, but I do prefer quality over quantity.
Fred
So many options. I am 6' and fit in most of these but don't know if that extra 2" will be a problem. In your under $50K budget.

Catalina 30. Roomy for a 30' boat. Reasonable performance. Lots to choose from.

Morgan OutIsland 36. The roomiest 36' boat every made. Center cockpit with double aft cabin so privacy if you have guests. Very shoal draft but doesn't sail well at all to windward but motorsails well. Good engine access, reasonably well made but getting old. Some don't love the looks but very practical Bahamas and Keys boat.

Various Pearsons in 30-33-36'. Again reasonable performance, lots to choose from, traditional aft cockpit. Most models are a little deeper draft.

Columbia. Several models from 28-38'. Also older boats but pretty well made.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:25   #13

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

A Columbia 34 would have the headroom. 6'4" to 7'
Columbia 34 Mk II Specifications

Priced on yachtworld.com right now from $12,500 - $29,000
Old 12-04-2014, 08:31   #14

Heading back to Michigan today.
I will get the wife and I signed up for seperate sailing lessons. Ice should be gone soon.
Is there a name database for sailboats? As in no 2 have the same name?
I'll google it.
I need to learn to read nautical charts and learn terminology too.
Who all is running solar and wind for power? It seems it would be common.
I have been reading about some of the boats mentioned. I guess I don't see why the Morgan Outisland is called ugly pretty often. Also I do not know what exactly it means that it doesn't sail well windward. I assume motor sails mean it has the sails up and motor running. Doesn't that defeat purpose if sailing though?
Fred
Old 12-04-2014, 08:47   #15

I googled the naming. I already have a name ready to go. Thanks to Van Morrison.

Tags
sail, sailboat