Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2018, 21:34   #1

Question re: guns on board in Bahamas

Planning to cross in May, clearing customs at West End. Fully understand the need to declare all firearms and ammunition, and intend to comply. Second night, we plan to anchor at Great Sale. So this is my concern...we're anchored, it's late and quite dark. We hear a boat approaching and so retrieve one or more of the weapons to have at the ready. Approaching vessel turns out to be Bahamian Defense Force, and they want to board. So now I have weapons that are properly declared, but which are not at that moment, in a "locked compartment." How much trouble am I in?
Old 31-12-2018, 21:45   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Question re: guns on board in Bahamas

You are in deep ****. They don't play with stuff like this.
Old 01-01-2019, 00:21   #3

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

5 minutes into the new year and a gun thread already.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:14   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jimi View Post
.......... How much trouble am I in?
A shipload....
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 01-01-2019, 02:53   #5

Long time ago one of our American cousins visited our fair country and somehow word got out (maybe beer talk) about an undeclared firearm on board. Next day they got a visit and the owner spent the next 6 months in a cell waiting for his court date. He was then sent home with a "never to return" order.

His boat was confiscated as it had been used to transport illegal weapons and it was later sold at auction.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:50   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, z28jimi.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:34   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, z28jimi.
Now that is funny
Old 01-01-2019, 05:20   #8
cruiser

I'll be following this thread, but I think anyone trying to circumvent the rules of another country by not declaring or not properly storing a long gun such as a shotgun aboard a vessel..... really doesn't have my sympathy when they get into trouble. When you're in another country, you need to abide by their rules or be willing to pay or serve the consequences..

Second thought on the original post: If you're that concerned about approaching boats in foreign countries, cruising might not be the best life choice for you. Most of the time, the fast approaching boats are manned by officials with 50 caliber automatic weapons onboard checking out the newcomers.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:37   #9

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Planning to cross in May, clearing customs at West End. Fully understand the need to declare all firearms and ammunition, and intend to comply. Second night, we plan to anchor at Great Sale. So this is my concern...we're anchored, it's late and quite dark. We hear a boat approaching and so retrieve one or more of the weapons to have at the ready. Approaching vessel turns out to be Bahamian Defense Force, and they want to board. So now I have weapons that are properly declared, but which are not at that moment, in a "locked compartment." How much trouble am I in?
A helluva pile of trouble, even though you declared the weapons on board.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:39   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
... If you're that concerned about approaching boats in foreign countries, cruising might not be the best life choice for you ...
Indeed.

You're (probably) not going to cruise in a war zone, where one might stand armed guard against approaching "strangers", - certainly The Bahamas is not.

Old 01-01-2019, 05:48   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23iL23 View Post
Long time ago one of our American cousins visited our fair country and somehow word got out (maybe beer talk) about an undeclared firearm on board. Next day they got a visit and the owner spent the next 6 months in a cell waiting for his court date. He was then sent home with a "never to return" order.

His boat was confiscated as it had been used to transport illegal weapons and it was later sold at auction.

The moral of that story of course is DECLARE them and keep them locked up as required, unless there is a compelling reason to use a firearm or have it ready that makes the possibility of prison and boat loss acceptable. Cause apparently it's a thing in the Bahamas. It does tend to make a visit to the Bahamas much less attractive, though. But it is the same in many or most places these days, not just there. Sad but true. One of the downsides of cruising. Cant change it, just got to deal with it or stay home. In that, at least, everyone has a choice.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:11   #12

Red face Re: Question re: guns on board in Bahamas

Not many other countries are as accommodating in regard to the violation of their customs and immigration laws as the USA is.

Obey the laws of the Bahamas while visiting and your visit will be a lot more fun.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:27   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Not many other countries are as accommodating in regard to the violation of their customs and immigration laws as the USA .

An Americans viewpoint..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:34   #14

Quote:
If you pull out weapons just because a boat approaches "your" anchorage at night you are a menace to civilized people everywhere.

STAY HOME!
Old 01-01-2019, 06:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

An Americans viewpoint..
Oh, we in the US have tons of customs and immigration laws. We just hardly ever enforce them from my experience as a US federal agent for 21 years.

We mostly use the honor system. The law abiding do have to jump through a lot of hoops here. The non-law abiding, not so much.

I worked some in other countries (including the Bahamas) and while so engaged, developed a strong desire to not do any third world prison time!

Tags
Bahamas, Guns