Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2019, 07:10   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Question re: guns on board in Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
You are in deep ****. They don't play with stuff like this.
He isn't in any trouble at the moment because he hasn't set off yet. Plus having read CF he will then decide to leave the guns at home and take a fishing rod for sport. That's why the guns were going to be on board isn't it? or is there another reason

I do have a gun on board, its full of keenol and lives in the tool box.

Pete
Old 01-01-2019, 07:11   #17

Spot on. My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
If you pull out weapons just because a boat approaches "your" anchorage at night you are a menace to civilized people everywhere.

STAY HOME!
Old 01-01-2019, 08:35   #18
tml

Boat: Lafitte 44

Never heard of a customs immigration officer discouraging legal possession of a firearm entering the Bahamas. The rules are straight forward and generally unambiguous. Easy to follow. One officer did observe that the Bahamas covers a vast area and the self defense force is not large and cannot be every where. May explain the reasonable nature of their gun control policy for cruisers.
The Bahamas require that if you leave your boat unattended for a return to home that fire arms must be delivered for safe keeping to the local police until your return. Again sensible on every level and easy to comply. However they don't detail how you deliver a firearm to the police without being out of compliance with the very strict rule of the firearm may not leave the boat. probably a good idea to call the police and confirm you are bringing in the firearm before it leaves the boat.
No excuse accepted for not following their rules to the letter. They don't jerk you around but very serious about not being jerked around by anyone.
Tom
Old 01-01-2019, 08:38   #19

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

In the Bahamas your gun better be in a locked box ! This is there rule ,you will obey there rule . If you must, there are flair gun look alikes that will shoot a shotgun shell.
Keep your spreader lights (led) on all night . Fly a US Marine Corps flag . You just want to look like a bad ass. ! And the bad guys will find a softer target .
Yes the law will come up on you at night ! At anchor post a watch ! Your not at home any more .
Its a wonderful place, very lay back and be calm........
Old 01-01-2019, 08:47   #20

As to firearms in the Bahamas, A point of concern, they must be declared, ammunition counted and verified,
. A flare gun will serve as a defensive weapon with out the problems associated with a firearm.
Been cruising the Bahamas for over 50 years with no problems.
Thanks
Capt. TomS/V Chardonnay
Old 01-01-2019, 08:47   #21

Boat: Macgregor, 26X, 26'

Can not reply to the law part, but for myself I have a small one gun safe that is about the size of a book. I can set it near at hand unlocked with key in it. When need or lack there of is determined a turn of the key and the key dropping in the pocket and the firearm is locked and secured. Whether that is sufficient for Bahama laws or not I do not know. I do not know their definition of "locked and secured". They sale these safes at Harbor Freight for less than $10.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:54   #22

Boat: Hatteras 65' cruiser

I cruised the Bahamas for 40 years, including the "Lehder" years. Never needed arms and stopped carrying them. A word of advise, if you are going to carry weapons make sure you have the same number of shells declared aboard when inspected. Short count will land you in the can.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:45   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreelsc View Post
I cruised the Bahamas for 40 years, including the "Lehder" years...
It's unlikely that any "legal" gun would have been effective against Lehder's thugs during that time (roughly 1978 - 1982).

Before (& since) Lehder, Norman’s Cay was/is a popular anchorage for visiting yachts. It was developed in the early 1970s as a small residential community with a clubhouse and marina. But in 1978 a Bahamian company called International Dutch Resources began buying up land there. IDR was set up for Carlos Lehder (Rivas) by a regular trust company in Nassau, which conveniently managed his working capital.

In July 1980, a yacht belonging to a retired Fort Meyers couple was found drifting with a corpse, and blood stains on board, near Norman's Cay.

Walter Cronkite testified in the 1988 trial of Carlos Lehder Rivas, telling jurors that he had sailed to Norman's Cay several times over the years. He said that he usually visited a restaurant and bar on the island, which is about a day's sail south of Nassau.
However, as he sailed into the Norman's Cay harbor in December, 1978, Cronkite said he noticed that the harbor was empty and the island appeared to be deserted. He dropped anchor and headed for shore in a dinghy, he said.
"An individual came out on the dock and said, 'You cannot dock here and furthermore you cannot anchor out there,' " he said. "The whole atmosphere was such that we turned around and headed back to the boat and weighed anchor."
Other prosecution witnesses have testified that Lehder closed the island to visitors, shut down the hotel and bar and restricted flights in and out of the airstrip to protect a cocaine-smuggling operation.

Lehder bought as much property on the island as he could and then chased off the remaining residents. Armed guards patrolled day and night and former Member of Parliament Norman Solomon was once threatened at gunpoint on the beach. As Lehder chased away the local population and began to assume total control of the island, Bahamian Prime Minister Lynden Pindling, believed to have taken massive amounts of money in bribes from Lehder and associates, did nothing. Norman’s Cay became Lehder’s lawless private fiefdom. By this time, his partner George Jung had been forced out of the operation, and international criminal financier Robert Vesco had allegedly become a partner. Jung used his prior connections to take up a more modest line of independent smuggling for Escobar, and stayed out of Lehder’s way.

From 1978 through 1982, the Cay became the Caribbean’s main drug smuggling hub and a tropical hideaway and playground for Lehder and associates. Cocaine was flown in from Colombia by jet and then reloaded into the small aircraft that then distributed it to locations in Georgia, Florida, and the Carolinas.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:48   #24

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

Ooh, must be January.

Is February for anchor arguments or complaining about customs requirements? Don't remember.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Old 01-01-2019, 09:49   #25
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
He isn't in any trouble at the moment because he hasn't set off yet. Plus having read CF he will then decide to leave the guns at home and take a fishing rod for sport. That's why the guns were going to be on board isn't it? or is there another reason

I do have a gun on board, its full of keenol and lives in the tool box.

Pete
nothing to shot in the Bahamas other than lizards and idiots
Old 01-01-2019, 10:12   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
He isn't in any trouble at the moment because he hasn't set off yet.
Tense in my response is appropriate to the phraseology of the OP's question.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:21   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Tom View Post
As to firearms in the Bahamas, A point of concern, they must be declared, ammunition counted and verified,
. A flare gun will serve as a defensive weapon with out the problems associated with a firearm.
Been cruising the Bahamas for over 50 years with no problems.
Thanks
Capt. TomS/V Chardonnay

A flare gun could probably kill a person. It would no doubt scare them someone off the boat.

Bahamas is not pirate territory anymore, At least I have not heard of much happening lately. I never take guns when I go.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:46   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boy you clearly got a bunch of stupid responses to that one. Aren't you glad you asked what you thought was an honest question? These kind of responses are typical of those who don't care about you or giving you useful information, only bloviating.

With that said, your question was a bit naïve, if you read or listen to the information from the customs officer who cleared you and your weapons into the Bahamas. I'm sure it was mentioned (and/or provide in print) that the weapons were to be kept under lock and key while in the territorial water of the Bahamas. This means exactly what it sounds like, even if you are attacked by the drug cartels. You were anchored in their territorial waters, period. You made the decision to ready your weapons in violation of the rules. If you were able to re-secure them before the police were able to observe this violation you should have been OK. But if they observed that the weapons were no longer under lock and key, that could be a major problem if the officers chose to take action. That action could have been anything from getting your asses shot to the cops shining the incident on (not likely) after chalking it up to another dumb tourist. Let's hope that was the case.

Many countries allow this but require these conditions for the carriage of weapons and ammunition into their territorial waters. I know of no country that will allow weapons or ammo to be taken ashore. Some countries, or possessions, like the Caiman Islands, require you to surrender your weapons and ammo to the customs officials when clearing in. They prepare a complete inventory down to the last round and lock you stuff up in their vault. Your only need to give them three hours notice of clearing out and they will deliver the weapons and ammo to your boat. We forgot to show them the fish Billy, which was also prohibited.

Mexico? Forget it. They require a complete inventory down to the last bullet certified by the Mexican Embassy (in Washington DC for a US flagged vessel) accompanied by a dispensation from the Pope. On clearing in they count every bullet and check every serial number against the certified inventory. One mistake and its jail time.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:52   #29

As a retired Marine Officer I am both gun friendly and experienced in world travel to exotic locations. What has kept me free and safe to enjoy a long life is respect for the local laws and customs of where I am visiting. You are a guest, act that way. I will declare my firearms and follow whatever rules they require. If I am concerned about safety I won’t visit that area. A smile, a slight bow, and a friendly wave will get you a long way in this world.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:59   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jimi View Post
Planning to cross in May, clearing customs at West End. Fully understand the need to declare all firearms and ammunition, and intend to comply. Second night, we plan to anchor at Great Sale. So this is my concern...we're anchored, it's late and quite dark. We hear a boat approaching and so retrieve one or more of the weapons to have at the ready. Approaching vessel turns out to be Bahamian Defense Force, and they want to board. So now I have weapons that are properly declared, but which are not at that moment, in a "locked compartment." How much trouble am I in?
For What It Is Worth.

There's something happening here
What it is ain't exactly clear
There's a man with a gun over there
Telling me I got to beware

I think it's time we stop, children, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Young people speaking their minds
Getting so much resistance from behind

It's time we stop, hey, what's that sound

What a field-day for the heat
A thousand people in the street
Singing songs and carrying signs
Mostly say, hooray for our side

It's s time we stop, hey, what's that sound

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid

You step out of line, the man come and take you away

We better stop, hey, what's that sound
Stop, hey, what's that sound
Stop, now, what's that sound
Stop, children, what's that sound

Songwriters: Stephen Stills
For What It Is Worth lyrics © Warner/Chappell Music, Inc

Children, how about try making a New Year's Resolution: Get over your paranoia and just leave the guns at home!

Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas, Guns