Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2017, 07:37   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Move to St. Croix?

This thread goes along with another that I had started http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ce-180101.html and to sum it up I am in a position to make a career/life style change.

I have been beating my wife up for years about moving to a warmer climate and slowly over time she has become more and more receptive to the idea. The major thing always holding her back were her ailing Grandparents. They have since both passed and she actually started "looking" for job openings in St. Croix. She is a Physician Assistant and should be able to get work at a hospital in any of the USVI.

My question is does anyone have knowledge or experience about moving to the islands and raising children. In regards to costs of living, schools, housing, culture shock, how to move your stuff down there, anything really that might help us make the transition if we decide to take the plunge. We have a 2 and 4 year old so I'm not sure what type of schools they have. Home schooling, public, or private are all options. What type of work can be found (I have a primarily mechanical and service industry back ground). Which islands are the best, etc....

Unfortunately we most likely would have to start off in a house, I'm still pushing to buy a live aboard but that's still a strategic chess game I am playing with her.
Old 24-02-2017, 09:58   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 36 MS
Re: Move to St. Croix?

Private school, Tropical Shipping, be prepared for a radical lifestyle change.
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 06:39   #3

Boat: Pearson 34-II

OTR,
Over the years, we have met some decent, honest people throughout the USVI. However, the crime that was once isolated in St. Thomas, in the past, has spread rapidly throughout the islands . . . especially St. Croix. Recently, we met an American couple that had just returned from living full time on St. Croix with their two younger children. He attempted to develop sailing charters for tourists which ultimately failed but the real reason for leaving was the real fear of serious crime that was a daily part of living. The once idyllic island is second only to St. Thomas in crime. I suppose one could counter that crime is everywhere but on a small island like St. Croix, unlike LA, Chicago or NYC, there's really no place to hide. Here's a recent article(one of many) that details this reality. As in everything in life, do your homework before you commit. Good luck and safe sailing. viconsortium.com/.../vipd-updates-2016-homicide-count-to-47-on-current-track-it-co...
Old 26-02-2017, 07:21   #4
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Crime on St. Croix was high when I lived there 30 years ago, now it is worse.
Friends are leaving the island and not coming back.
Cops are useless.
Can't beat the sailing and diving, but the locals screw it up with drugs and crime.
Old 26-02-2017, 07:39   #5

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

If you have young school age kids, you will be paying for private school. Look up the USVI schools, and you will find that they couldn't even come into line with the federal Government's "No child left behind act". The public schools in all USVI are horrible.

I've lived on all of the USVI islands, and STX is my favorite of the three. Things have changed dramatically in STX since the closure of Hovensa Refinery and STX now is a very poor island with locals scratching hard to try and make a living there now which has increased the amount of violent crimes there substantially since it's closure. I'd look to STT before STX and unfortunately, rent will be a lot more as will food, fuel, electricity, and everything else you are use to in your current life. Rent of a Two bedroom apartment will run you 1,200. a month or more. A cheap little studio apt. will run you $800.00 a month. Your electric bill from WAPA will run about $300.00 a month IF YOU CONSERVE.. a gallon of milk is $10.00, loaf of bread is 5.00 and comes in frozen. A hamburger out is 12_15.00 with fries. Everything is just more expensive. HOWEVER, I wouldn't go back to the states for anything.. I also no longer live in USVI, but Anguilla and SXM.. Much better here and cheaper too.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 08:21   #6

Thanks all for the replies so far albeit a little disheartening. There are other tropical places I'd rather live but not sure where else we could get work. My wife is probably a little easier in some foreign countries since she's in the medical field but I figure I'd be hard pressed. Please keep the info coming. Much appreciated!
Old 26-02-2017, 13:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Thanks all for the replies so far albeit a little disheartening. There are other tropical places I'd rather live but not sure where else we could get work. My wife is probably a little easier in some foreign countries since she's in the medical field but I figure I'd be hard pressed. Please keep the info coming. Much appreciated!
Might as well join the rest of the US, and move to Florida. Seriously though, she could get a job anywhere down here, and although she would have less down time, you will find work as well.

Even if it's just temporary, FL would be a great stepping stone to the Caribbean and should provide enough culture shock to keep you entertained for a while.
Byrdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 13:47   #8

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
You could also consider the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. We could use a PA here and there is a labor shortage in other fields as well.
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 18:59   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafa View Post
You could also consider the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. We could use a PA here and there is a labor shortage in other fields as well.
I had no idea that was a us territory. Definitely something to look into. Any other US territories around the world that I'm ignorant of?
Old 26-02-2017, 20:22   #10

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
I had no idea that was a us territory. Definitely something to look into. Any other US territories around the world that I'm ignorant of?
Guam and American Samoa, perhaps?

Guam has been an unincorporated US territory for ~117 years and therefore can seem "more American" than other parts of Micronesia. This, coupled with the fact that it is highly developed, has led to it sometimes being referred to as the "LA of the Pacific".

American Samoa, also an unincorporated US territory, is much less developed than either the CNMI or Guam, with a correspondingly smaller economy which translates to fewer opportunities and a lower prevailing wage.

To address your earlier statement: have you stopped beating your wife?

hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 22:18   #11

Boat: Hunter 410 1998

i agree with justarebel i lived in stx 2013 and 14,the hospital is insolvent, many wounderful people there, go down and look around
tjandoverguy is offline   Reply With Quote