Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2016, 08:21   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Leaking Steel Diesel Tank

Steel tanks in almost all the Taiwan boats are problematic. The real problem is they put the tanks in first and attach the interior permanently. Repair wise, you have to keep in mind the likelihood that the entire tank is deteriorating.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 09:12   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Steel tanks in almost all the Taiwan boats are problematic. The real problem is they put the tanks in first and attach the interior permanently. Repair wise, you have to keep in mind the likelihood that the entire tank is deteriorating.
Yep. You might repair the current hole and fine another one soon. You could end up with 30 gal of diesel in the bilge and marina too.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 14:53   #18

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
The book : Gougeon Brothers on Boat Building goes into great detail.
I've never bought anything off the internet. The book is huge and priceless, the bible for traditional boat builders.
In OZ the book is now probably US $75:00 but priceless nonetheless.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 15:10   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Well, our timber/poxy fuel tanks, ply on three sides, western red cedar on the other, are now 26 years old. No issues as yet.

Jim
Old 16-12-2016, 16:01   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
The book : Gougeon Brothers on Boat Building goes into great detail.
I've never bought anything off the internet. The book is huge and priceless, the bible for traditional boat builders.
In OZ the book is now probably US $75:00 but priceless nonetheless.
Is that the same book you can download for free on the West site?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 16:08   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, our timber/poxy fuel tanks, ply on three sides, western red cedar on the other, are now 26 years old. No issues as yet.

Jim
Yes. They can make good fuel tanks and if done properly they will most likely outlast a lot of metal tanks. The bain of metal tanks is improper installation. That and letting water sit inside or crud accumulate and line the sides and bottom of the tanks. Proper installation and maintenance can go a long way to ensure long lasting metal fuel tanks.

The only reason I brought up the warnings about the composite fuel tanks is because there are some very important considerations to take note of. Properly done they make fine tanks.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 17:00   #22

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Is that the same book you can download for free on the West site?
Can't imagine that West System would allow an A4 sized book, an inch and a half thick, hard cover, costing plenty of money , give it away for free.
But you asked the wrong guy bucause, as I said, I've never bought ANYTHING off the internet. I will be the last human on earth to know what's for free on the internet. Actually, if something worth having is free then someone somewhere is missing out imo.
Maybe someone else here may know.
Old 16-12-2016, 18:12   #23

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

I fixed 2 leaking fuel tanks (different boats) by taking them out, turning them upside down, and covering them with several layers of FG mat and cloth using polyester resin. They were then just FG tanks with (rusty) steel liners. Have lasted for 30 years or so.
Bill Seal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 18:50   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
I fixed 2 leaking fuel tanks (different boats) by taking them out, turning them upside down, and covering them with several layers of FG mat and cloth using polyester resin. They were then just FG tanks with (rusty) steel liners. Have lasted for 30 years or so.
Yep, big job but there forever! I'm guessing you have a bllody big Racor filter to catch the crap.
Reason for my love of epoxy is that it bonds better to all substrates better than poly. Especially to timber.
But mostly because epoxy bonds to polyester than polyester resin does. The people who disagree probably do so because of the massive additional cost.
When I did my first trade (tourist coaches) epoxy hadn't been invented.....hell, even electricity was new then !!
Old 16-12-2016, 18:54   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I've patched steel and aluminum tanks with epoxy. The trick is the metal has to be clean and absolutely diesel free. Sand, then I wipe down patch area with acetone. Ideal would be to do all sides so steel is enclosed.
My current tanks (1942) are steel and had some pits I welded, but had lots of thickness left.
Many home builders have plywood/epoxy tanks that last about forever if done properly. Even polyester will work if not fully cured before next layer is laid down. But poly is easy to **. My old commercial fish boat still uses a 250 gallon plywood/epoxy tank I made in 1977.
Some surveyors don't like epoxy/plywood tanks. Probably based on poly failures.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 19:36   #26

Quote:
Can't imagine that West System would allow an A4 sized book, an inch and a half thick, hard cover, costing plenty of money , give it away for free.
But you asked the wrong guy bucause, as I said, I've never bought ANYTHING off the internet. I will be the last human on earth to know what's for free on the internet. Actually, if something worth having is free then someone somewhere is missing out imo.
Maybe someone else here may know.
On the WEST site their book: Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction is in the price list as product #2. It sells direct from them @ US $ 44:00, weighs 4 lbs & in 504 pages.
Available to download for free? "Now I don't know anything about thaart" (gump).
Old 16-12-2016, 19:54   #27

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I would use aircraft fuel tank sealer, as its purpose is to seal wing that are full of rivet holes and make them fuel tanks, but that is because I am used to doing aircraft.
It comes in different specs A is thinner and more watery but will run into cracks etc., B is thicker and will stick to walls, then comes a number from 1/2 to 2 , the number corresponds to pot life, all of it should be given 24 hours to cure out. It is a two part adhesive / sealer very similar to 5200 except for the color and of course its two part, but it is at least as tenacious as 5200, maybe moreso.
PRO-SEAL FUEL TANK SEALANT P/S 890 B2 from Aircraft Spruce
+1

This is an amazing product. Thick, tough, pliable, and super sticky.
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 21:54   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Without further investigation it's difficult to plan this repair, the whole thing could be junk. If it's out and in good shape the issue may well be repairable, properly. Just a matter of weighing the cost to repair/replace. Seems like and odd leak 1/4" down from the top? On a seam? Rotten from the inside or outside? Any good metal shop will give you the options.
Seen plenty of crappy tanks built in N.A., Taiwan gets a bad rap sometimes.
My first epoxy fuel tank repair was on a 59' beatle as a teenager with no cash, worked great. I have done it again but only on my own gear and wiling to take that risk.
ce
Old 17-12-2016, 00:54   #29

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Maybe I'm a pessimist but if it has gone in one spot it will be about to go in lots of others. You may end up chasing your tail. I would bite the bullet, remove it and replace.

Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 06:22   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... Available to download for free? "Now I don't know anything about thaart" (gump).
Free Download ➥ http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/...k%20061205.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, steel