Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2017, 20:43   #46
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,040
Images: 1
Re: I need Canadian's help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSeaWolf View Post
I'm not against paying for charts given the vast coastline and the fact there are more pressing issues that the government needs to focus its attention. I do, however, think the charges could be reeled in some...it is expensive if you're in need of multiple maps (which is inevitable), and it seems unlikely those fees are simply covering expenses: $600 for the east side of Vancouver Island? Really?
Use raster charts - my preference.

PAC02 - Vancouver Island East

CDN $174.95

CHS - PAC02

The price of 9 paper charts.
__________________

__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 20:59   #47
Registered User
 
NorthernSeaWolf's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: From Coastal BC, currently stuck in a corn field in Godforesaken, IN
Posts: 107
Re: I need Canadian's help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Use raster charts - my preference.
The price of 9 paper charts.
Thanks...that is a little less salty - I was looking at this:
CHS - PAC-A
$599.95

I like paper charts though.... actually, I love them!
__________________

__________________
Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
NorthernSeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 21:36   #48
Registered User
 
Stu Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC (Maple Bay Marina)
Posts: 6,385
Re: I need Canadian's help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Use raster charts - my preference.

PAC02 - Vancouver Island East

CDN $174.95

CHS - PAC02

The price of 9 paper charts.
I just moved up here. So I get this $200 CD. What then?
__________________
Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 21:41   #49
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,040
Images: 1
Re: I need Canadian's help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I just moved up here. So I get this $200 CD. What then?
It works well with OpenCPN.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 21:43   #50
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,040
Images: 1
Re: I need Canadian's help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSeaWolf View Post
Thanks...that is a little less salty - I was looking at this:
CHS - PAC-A
$599.95

I like paper charts though.... actually, I love them!
I much prefer paper charts (and collect antique ones).

Why do you need ENCs?
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 22:17   #51
Registered User
 
NorthernSeaWolf's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: From Coastal BC, currently stuck in a corn field in Godforesaken, IN
Posts: 107
Re: I need Canadian's help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I much prefer paper charts (and collect antique ones).

Why do you need ENCs?
Love the antique ones!

I don't "need"

But... MacENC is so versatile and really manages to utilize the vector format in a user-friendly platform.
__________________
Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
NorthernSeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 01:52   #52
Registered User
 
deblen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Grand Manan,N.B.,Canada N44.40 W66.50
Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Posts: 1,400
Images: 1
Re: I need Canadian's help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I just moved up here. So I get this $200 CD. What then?
You then spend $1000 on a laptop plus a raster chart nav program. Len
__________________
My personal experience & humble opinions-feel free to ignore both
deblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 09:14   #53
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,040
Images: 1
Re: I need Canadian's help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
You then spend $1000 on a laptop plus a raster chart nav program. Len
OpenCPN is open-source software - free.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 18:50   #54
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Halifax, Canada
Boat: Fisher 37 Aft Cabin
Posts: 14
Re: I need Canadian's help!

Done. Signed the petition.

What is the issue in Canada is that our Government had contracted a few companies to distribute (and make lots of many) of these charts.
As tax payers we have paid already for these charts. I have no issue paying for charts, but the outrages amounts that they are charging now is the problem. I can buy a road map for all of Canada for 24.95 at the gas station. This is a reasonable amount considering the cost of printing, shipping etc.
But 5K for all of the Canadian Navigational Charts (in electronic format) is just over the top.
__________________
henklor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 20:15   #55
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,040
Images: 1
Re: I need Canadian's help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by henklor View Post
Done. Signed the petition.

What is the issue in Canada is that our Government had contracted a few companies to distribute (and make lots of many) of these charts.
As tax payers we have paid already for these charts. I have no issue paying for charts, but the outrages amounts that they are charging now is the problem. I can buy a road map for all of Canada for 24.95 at the gas station. This is a reasonable amount considering the cost of printing, shipping etc.
But 5K for all of the Canadian Navigational Charts (in electronic format) is just over the top.
You can buy a chart of all of Vancouver Island for $20.00. I would not use to navigate my way around the Island.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 08:06   #56
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,942
Re: I need Canadian's help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by henklor View Post
But 5K for all of the Canadian Navigational Charts (in electronic format) is just over the top.
As I mentioned earlier, I am warming to the idea, but logic like the above isn't winning me over. Who here NEEDS every Canadian chart in their possession? I expect the average Canadian cruiser hasn't spent more than $300 for the charts they actually use. Not a huge hit for a yacht-owner.

I know that there's a long-established rule in the US government that any public document must be made available for free (or something like this) so they have long ago accounted for that cost.

(Also ...Switzerland?? How many different marine charts do they distribute - two?? All the listed example countries on the petition, with the exception of the US, have miniscule coastlines compared to Canada.)

Asking seriously - does anyone know how many Canadian charts are sold/downloaded, and the annual cost or budget for cartography? This forum isn't exactly pro big-government .... is everyone willing to sign on without knowing the costs involved?
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 08:46   #57
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,023
Re: I need Canadian's help!

In recent times Ive sailed through the Canadian side of Lake Superior, Huron/North Channel, St. Clair River, Lake St. Clair, Detroit River, Erie and Ontario, including the 1000 Islands. This year Im heading out the St. Lawrence (Neptune willing), to the west coast of Newfoundland.

Ive begged, borrowed and improvised my acquisition of most needed paper charts. And Ive passed on those I no longer need to other people (some here on the forums). If I had purchased official new charts for all the ones I think I need (which is not all possible charts that I could purchase just the ones I need), my bill would have easily run into the thousands of dollars. So for some of us, the cost is a real factor.

However, its not the fact of paying for them that irks me. It is the double-taxation that all user-fees represent which I object to. User-fees like tolls and specific service fees, disproportionally hurt poor folk.

My view is, if the production of nautical charts is a public good (which I believe it is), then it should be paid for by taxes. If it is a private good then the government should get out of the way and let the free market reign.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 10:45   #58
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,942
Re: I need Canadian's help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
However, it’s not the fact of paying for them that irks me. It is the double-taxation that all user-fees represent which I object to. User-fees like tolls and specific service fees, disproportionally hurt poor folk.

My view is, if the production of nautical charts is a public good (which I believe it is), then it should be paid for by taxes. If it is a private good then the government should get out of the way and let the free market reign.
I'd agree more if we weren't talking about yachting. I'm not saying that every cruiser is wealthy, but to sail/cruise you have to be in a relatively good position - a degree of financial independence, free time, health. Poor people aren't in need of nautical charts, generally, and I can't imagine that anyone was prevented from boating or cruising because they couldn't afford a chart.
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 10:52   #59
Registered User
 
travellerw's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Martinique
Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Posts: 1,717
Re: I need Canadian's help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I'd agree more if we weren't talking about yachting. I'm not saying that every cruiser is wealthy, but to sail/cruise you have to be in a relatively good position - a degree of financial independence, free time, health. Poor people aren't buying nautical charts, generally, and I can't imagine that anyone was prevented from boating or cruising because they couldn't afford a chart.
I wholeheartedly disagree with you on this.. Maybe around Toronto what you say true.

However there are parts of our country where a decent boat can be bought for $2000 (probably cheaper). I can guarntee that the cost of charts is a big consideration for people buying boats at this price point. So much so, that many probably go without charts. So yes, they aren't prevented from boating. However, safety and protection of the environment could be enhanced by providing charts for free!

If that fact alone (increased safety and environmental protections) does not convince you, then I'm afraid nothing will.
__________________
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 11:08   #60
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,942
Re: I need Canadian's help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I wholeheartedly disagree with you on this.. Maybe around Toronto what you say true.

However there are parts of our country where a decent boat can be bought for $2000 (probably cheaper). I can guarntee that the cost of charts is a big consideration for people buying boats at this price point. So much so, that many probably go without charts. So yes, they aren't prevented from boating. However, safety and protection of the environment could be enhanced by providing charts for free!

If that fact alone (increased safety and environmental protections) does not convince you, then I'm afraid nothing will.
That's kind of far-fetched. As I'm sure you know, the boat purchase is but one part of the equation. There's the accessories - life jackets and other mandated safety equipment. Anchor. Cooler. Camping gear. Clothing. Tools. Books. Lessons. PCOC. After that there's storage and ramp fees, gas (boat & vehicle), insurance, annual motor service, the occasional unplanned repair, replacements and upgrades. Spending maybe $40 - $80 on charts for your home waters, that will serve for 4 years or more... I don't think that's a deal-breaker.

Re electronic charts - you're going to be paying $300+ for a computer or tablet to run them on. Plus the special 12v charger adaptor.

So you're not winning me with the poverty angle. (said the guy whose current boat wasn't that much more than $2k to buy )
__________________

__________________
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP! - Thanks but we don't need any... Serious, need help... Sir Shagsalot Liveaboard's Forum 2 12-11-2015 20:44
Need Clarification on a Canadian Mod vezousk Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 5 11-10-2011 14:27
I Need Help . . . But Don't Even Know what I Need Mr B Marine Electronics 9 27-09-2011 14:58
Canadian buying canadian boat in Florida Rastarea Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 7 08-02-2009 10:15
Buyiing a Canadian-Registered Sailboat from Another Canadian in Guatemala squarehead General Sailing Forum 2 14-01-2008 06:47



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:37.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.