Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2017, 23:21   #1

How would one refuel a large yacht at Sea?

Hi Cruisersforum,

I'm a design student, my question is above. In the case of an emergency and a large yacht runs out of fuel shy of shore. What procedure would the yacht owner/ ship captain do to refuel it?

The yacht is jet powered, between 24-36 meters. I've seen a number of videos of refueling at the docks but none that are done in the sea. If anyone could answer this it would be great! I'm studying yachts for my final year project would love to bring it to life as faithfully possible to everyone!
Leishua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 23:38   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: How would one refuel a large yacht at Sea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leishua View Post
Hi Cruisersforum,

I'm a design student, my question is above. In the case of an emergency and a large yacht runs out of fuel shy of shore. What procedure would the yacht owner/ ship captain do to refuel it?

The yacht is jet powered, between 24-36 meters. I've seen a number of videos of refueling at the docks but none that are done in the sea. If anyone could answer this it would be great! I'm studying yachts for my final year project would love to bring it to life as faithfully possible to everyone!
first rule of super yachting...don't exceed the range of the yacht,and allow sufficient reserve of fuel to get to your next refueling stop.

however if you are as rich as uncle sam,you will have a fleet auxillary vessel at sea carrying spare fuel and supplies.

fuel is transferred whilst the 2 vessels steam about 50m alongside each other,and a rocket line fired across,then this is used to pull a cable across,then a fuel hose is pulled across and fuel pumped onboard

atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 23:39   #3

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

The same way you refuel any larger vessel at sea.
Type of propulsion (jet/prop) is irrelevant.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 23:47   #4

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Ships are regularly fuelled at sea. Just head to Gibraltar and see for yourself. There a numerous huge fuel ships supplying the tankers, containers, and bulk carriers that are anchored there.

The reason is that diesel in Gibraltar is around €0.60 per litre, compared to €1.50 or more in Spain. When you need 5,000 tonnes of fuel, that represents a massive saving.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 23:57   #5

Ah, I see guys thanks a lot! It makes it a lot clearer now! @Atoll I see in the video towards the end a large tube being used to plug in to refuel the ship. Is that a standard hose or does it vary per ship?

@Simi, gotcha that a relief that means I don't have to worry too much of the engine type.

@mike gotcha thats a good thing to know too!
Old 12-11-2017, 00:09   #6

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

There are boats around here with large tanks who simply tie alongside and pump fuel.

No need to be moving, no need for rocket lines.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 00:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
There are boats around here with large tanks who simply tie alongside and pump fuel.

No need to be moving, no need for rocket lines.
In that sense these tanks are not rebuilt into the refueling ships but a rather external containers which are directly plugged into a ship to refuel it?
Old 12-11-2017, 00:36   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Ah, I see guys thanks a lot! It makes it a lot clearer now! @Atoll I see in the video towards the end a large tube being used to plug in to refuel the ship. Is that a standard hose or does it vary per ship?

@Simi, gotcha that a relief that means I don't have to worry too much of the engine type.

@mike gotcha thats a good thing to know too!
this is standard procedure for refueling AT SEA,and i would guess that all NATO ships have the same quick fit connectors for high speed fuel transfer.

as you see in the video there are 2 fuel lines,one is for standard bunker fuel for the ships engines,the other will be for jet fuel for helicopters or aircraft.

as others have mentioned bunkering IN PORT,where a fuel barge comes alongside a ship AT ANCHOR is standard practise for refueling large ships.

more common for smaller 20-50m ships is they go alongside a dock in port and take fuel from pipes laid into the dock by the fuel company with outlets every 100m or so

otherwise fuel companies will generally arrange for a truck with a fuel tanker to deliver up to about 10tons at a time on some commercial docks.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 00:51   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Hi Cruisersforum,

In the open sea with ground swell...
The reality is that you wouldn't!

Too many chances to do very expensive damages to the yacht cosmetics.
Displacement is too light to provide a stable exchange.
Heavy duty rigging tackle to hold the two diverse displacements of fueller and light weight yacht would be seriously mismatched unless you designed the yacht with large open decks to handle the slewing ranges and commercial transfer equipment.

Most yachts that do not have the range to cross oceans use a yacht transport service to carry them across.

As a SY Captain, if ever I found myself short of fuel to reach my destination..... I would call for a tow to the nearest protected harbour to bunker.

If conditions were relatively benign, then possibly when under a slow tow. I would consider messaging back to yacht a small fuel hose to make a slow fuel transfer of probably only 80, 000 liters for the small size you mentioned
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 00:54   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
The same way you refuel any larger vessel at sea.
Type of propulsion (jet/prop) is irrelevant.
Fantastic reply Simi 60.
I'm sure the op will have a much better idea now.
Gdog6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:14   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
this is standard procedure for refueling AT SEA,and i would guess that all NATO ships have the same quick fit connectors for high speed fuel transfer.

as you see in the video there are 2 fuel lines,one is for standard bunker fuel for the ships engines,the other will be for jet fuel for helicopters or aircraft.

as others have mentioned bunkering IN PORT,where a fuel barge comes alongside a ship AT ANCHOR is standard practise for refueling large ships.

more common for smaller 20-50m ships is they go alongside a dock in port and take fuel from pipes laid into the dock by the fuel company with outlets every 100m or so

otherwise fuel companies will generally arrange for a truck with a fuel tanker to deliver up to about 10tons at a time on some commercial docks.

Gotcha Atoll! I get it now! Thanks!

@Pelagic Thats good to know, I'm glad my school team's planning is on point so far haha. We were deciding how the yacht owner to tackle his situation being out of fuel short of shore.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:59   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Now that you have everyone’s interest, it’s time to “pay” for the advice. When you’re finished, post some nice 2d renderings of the final yacht so we can appreciate your design.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:15   #13

more often vessels fuel at sea- the issue you pose is nothing new but the prep beforehand is the critical. On your vessel size and as a yacht configuration-is a good forethought for global travel but does need a good procedure and install anticipation.

scheduled fuel at sea is pumped thru a closed pressurized system- so your anticipated needs will be fuel type? refined tend to be smaller and easier hoses/connections, and how much can the vessel take at a positive pressure per hour? Flexibility for connections and filtering are important.
The flanges/connections are the same as shore side connections (these are flanges, bayonet, quick release but not a standard gas nozzle) but at sea may include an additional quick release break-away fitting. (weak link hose designed to break under excessive strain and close both hose ends instantly so not spill)
As far as service being this is secondary from normal shore side-but can be the same receiver flange- the hose is trailed by refueling source and the yacht will go alongside the hose and lift end onto the deck where the fuel connection is located. Connection made, both vessels travel at five knots or so for time takes (hours) , then hose is dumped back in water and yacht pulls away.
This process is used daily around the globe in remote places commercially.
The US Navy uses it to transfer fuels from commercial non-refueling purpose tankers to smaller frigates/etc
Check out https://www.passagemaker.com/web-ext...-sea-web-extra

some thought in your vessel design- centrally locate a service access port that is accessible at sea. This port should contain a central fire connection flange for shore side (external shore firefighting water supply under pressure), electric, and fueling flexibility. Include in the refueling area for the small toys, etc that area that encompass the vessel makeup. May sound all complicated, but if easy, clean, avoids the entertainment area interruption, then it will be better sold.
I have refueled from helicopters, ships, and some other interesting methods. Probably the biggest excitement is controlling the venting system when the source is significantly higher and the package is gravity assisted one way.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:20   #14

pirate Re: How would one refuel a large yacht at Sea?

Quote:
Hi Cruisersforum,

A yacht of that size should have a good skipper who would be capable of sailing the yacht to port waters to pick up a mooring or anchor and request enough fuel to getllong side to refuel fully
garison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:56   #15

The only way I would refuel at sea, in a yacht, would be with "gerry cans." I believe most fueling at sea, done by ships, navy, etc., would be done by pressure fueling, faster and safer than gravity filling. The point most are giving is to not get yourself into the type of scenario where you would require fuel.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, yacht