Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 10:05   #16

Re: How would one refuel a large yacht at Sea?

I have done this at sea ( mid Pacific Ocean) several times with a 28m boat, but not with a yacht so worries about scuffing up the hull was not a concern. I have done it both ways, that is in very good weather and sea conditions, came alongside a fuel tender, seperated by large (6' diameter by 12' long) fenders laying on there side in the water acting as a "dock", and being towed behind the fuel tender while a hose was messengered back to us. Neither method is ideal but when you need fuel to extend you voyage, then it is worth any inconvenience. We just had gravity fed fill pipes on deck, but can also be done with camlock fittings. There are companies out there that make their living arranging for providing fuelling at sea for commercial fishing fleets so this is not that difficult to line up.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:36   #17

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog6 View Post
Fantastic reply Simi 60.
I'm sure the op will have a much better idea now.
I provided something.
You on the other hand provided nothing
Back to hitting your head against the wall.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:38   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Here is a start point. You will see a series of references to publications under "Standards" which will give further information.

http://www.yeomanmarine.com/images/G...20Receiver.pdf

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:31   #19

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

You have a vessel that size and it runs out of fuel..........You fire the Captain.......large vessels are fuelled by a fuel barge, at dock or on the hook, it's not a opps ran out of fuel I'll ring up the fuel barge type thing, it's planned, normally 3-4 days in advance, some places it's done at a dock by a fuel truck, but that type of docking is usually for commercial boats but it may be the only fuel for big and small boats......
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:18   #20

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

The OP asked if it can be done, which it can. He didn’t ask anything about lack of planning or how bad of a job the captain is doing. Some of You folks sure read a lot of BS into a post. Just answer the question.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:58   #21

young man, it is an interesting exercise and good forethought. aka planning. engineering is developing the flexibility to accommodate whatever the challenge offers.

to many followers in above posts-
fueling at sea is simply just another opportunity for the power/bottom load/distance ratio.
I would not suggest as emergency at all- I would design it in as available alternative.
Sport fish all carry portable tanks when making long crossings, reducing speed to efficiency vs time.
your mention of jet drive suggests bottom load is an issue- so research the supply lines for the intended fuel used (diesel, LNG ,electric, jp-5, biodiesel) and area of operation then surmise if realistic.
I would suggest mega-yacht travel that arrangement for the fuel offshore drill rig/helicopter/supply vessel is very realistic. Particularly in remote areas.
Emergency offshore fuel consumption is real, particularly if weather/planning/contaminated tank and other conditions require additional. Not necessarily a fault of a the Captain or planning.

most important, make sure the access to the connections can operate in the sea state you are suggesting operation. Nothing more humorousness than all the planning and then find cannot open hatch.....
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 13:02   #22

One wouldn't to go to sea with insufficient fuel to make the intended passage is an offence under most legislations as the vessel is not seaworthy for example as a holder of a British Masters certificate is liable to 5 years in jail and/or a fine of GBP 500K for going to sea in an unseaworthy ship. If tehy run out of fuel at sea then a salvage tug is their only hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leishua View Post
Hi Cruisersforum,

I'm a design student, my question is above. In the case of an emergency and a large yacht runs out of fuel shy of shore. What procedure would the yacht owner/ ship captain do to refuel it?

The yacht is jet powered, between 24-36 meters. I've seen a number of videos of refueling at the docks but none that are done in the sea. If anyone could answer this it would be great! I'm studying yachts for my final year project would love to bring it to life as faithfully possible to everyone!
wjhutchings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 13:12   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underway_replenishment
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 13:17   #24
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

And here I thought the forum generally required a fully paid membership and a stiff consulting fee before the members were allowed to perform consults for aspiring authors and script writers.

When in doubt "Deus ex machina" and the Fuel Fairy will do it. As the basso profundo music swells and the megayacht begins to roll and pound towards the cruel granite fangs protruding from the menacing shore!!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 13:22   #25

Yes we know the concept and the Navies of the world carry it out on a daily basis, but they are trained to carry out refueling of ships, believe me carrying out Ship to Ship transfers at sea are extremely difficult and very stressful I have done it. It is definitely not for the faint hearted. Also I expect even the most wealthy of owners would bulk at the cost of fuel when delivered off shore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Old 12-11-2017, 13:31   #26

WJHutchings- I think you are confusing the discussion- refueling at sea is a daily standard operation. It does not make a vessel "unseaworthy" to be refuel at opportunity via planning, etc.
If that was the case- then a drill ship is unseaworthy, a supply vessel would be unseaworthy, most of the worlds Navies would be unseaworthy, an airplane refueling mid air is illegal, and the misinformation could be infinite. So lets go back to the parameters of the question-

Mega-yachts tend to travel further range and overseas if the DESIGN permits.
This then creates the need for alternative fueling needs, and as I mentioned the jet boat design tends to be bottom load critical, so refueling options become a bigger priority. So why not design with a simple method of fuel, water, and stores that is functional offshore, or more important, a running seaway near shore. Then the opportunity for adventure is not dependent on "yacht" basins.

The only limit is the price of the supply line and we all know Mega yachts operate under he guise of "if you ask the price, you cannot afford the yacht"
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 14:17   #27

Boat Driver not wanting to enter an argument I must point out some discrepancies in your statement

Drill ships/ rigs on station when engaged in drilling operations are technically not at sea however and custom and practice enables to be refuelled from a supply vessel, this is carried out with the drillship/ rig as a stationary not moving vessel either using DP or being anchored using its anchor spread. When they are under way using there own propulsion they must have enough bunkers on board to make their next port safely. The supply vessel supplying the fuel to the drillship/rig must have on board enough fuel to enable it to return to port without recourse to the cargo fuel. An aircraft which engages in any commercial operation must by International Law carry at least 45 minutes of extra fuel to enable it to divert to a suitable airport.
The Navies and the Air Forces of this world are not governed by the above and they have developed refueling at sea and refueling in the air to ensure they don't run short of fuel. However none of these technics have been transferred into the commercial world on because of expense and two because to carry out either evolution safely and efficiently the personnel involved need to be highly trained and carry out such evolutions on a regular basis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boat driver View Post
WJHutchings- I think you are confusing the discussion- refueling at sea is a daily standard operation. It does not make a vessel "unseaworthy" to be refuel at opportunity via planning, etc.
If that was the case- then a drill ship is unseaworthy, a supply vessel would be unseaworthy, most of the worlds Navies would be unseaworthy, an airplane refueling mid air is illegal, and the misinformation could be infinite. So lets go back to the parameters of the question-

Mega-yachts tend to travel further range and overseas if the DESIGN permits.
This then creates the need for alternative fueling needs, and as I mentioned the jet boat design tends to be bottom load critical, so refueling options become a bigger priority. So why not design with a simple method of fuel, water, and stores that is functional offshore, or more important, a running seaway near shore. Then the opportunity for adventure is not dependent on "yacht" basins.

The only limit is the price of the supply line and we all know Mega yachts operate under he guise of "if you ask the price, you cannot afford the yacht"
Old 12-11-2017, 14:32   #28

Boat: Rawson 30 PH

Happens everyday when out fishing here in AK, look up fuel tender.
joel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 14:44   #29

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
The OP asked if it can be done, which it can. He didn’t ask anything about lack of planning or how bad of a job the captain is doing. Some of You folks sure read a lot of BS into a post. Just answer the question.
OK I'll add I've seen it done from a heavy lift helo.........but that's not normal as is fuelling at sea for private vessels I would be hard pressed to find a civilian contractor that would do it..........
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 14:55   #30

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I did this underway replenishment (UNREP) for the U.S. Navy for 4 years.
Working for Military Sealift Command under D.O.D It was some of the most exciting years of my life.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, yacht