Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What's Your Age (Range)?
20-30 Years 4 0.97%
31-40 Years 26 6.31%
41-50 Years 41 9.95%
51-60 Years 116 28.16%
61-70 Years 129 31.31%
71-80 Years 90 21.84%
81-Older than DIrt! 6 1.46%
Voters: 412. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2019, 11:42   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: How Old Are We?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
I may have retired at 57 but I’m 63 now. Time flies when you’re having fun. I agree that our boat ownership does much to improve our physical well being. I fatten up in the dead of winter and thin back down throughout the sailing season.
another reason to liveaboard ( ax if we need any more)
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...-ris011719.php
Old 06-02-2019, 13:50   #32

Boat: Paceship Py 26 26.6

I am in the 81+,your a right if you think I have been sailing for a looong time.
Single handling,racing 6th overall out of 25/30 others with a crew of 2 to 6...
I wonder if I should quit or take on a crew as well.I probable will when I start feeling
60 + and need help with maintenance of all that's needed on my down sided 26 ft with
diesel engine . She keeps me occupied.
High Pointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 14:49   #33

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

How old would you be, if you did not know how old you were ?.

Where we are in life might have a lot to do with our fitness, real adventures that we have lived ( good, bad and challenging ), positive outlook on life, respect most everyone and mother nature, and just keep on keeping on with life and being active, a having a good time.

Toss in having a good mate, that lives life and adventure with you, and leave the bloody ipads, smart phones, etc in the car or at home, and converse in human speak everywhere we go.

And, remember the Fighter Pilots Code '

" Look good at all costs ! "

( Even when the engine is on fire, and wings are ripping off , blow the canopy, eject, and fly again the next day )

or for the short termers, who have jetted thru life at max burner... live fast, love hard, and leave a good looking corpse.

Quality whiskey in moderation is allowed, along with exercise, and eating right.

An additional , secret of life, if you can do what you love , for a living or a career, life is an amazing good time, every day as long as we have our health.

And after that retirement date, keep the fun light illuminated, until the power company snuffs it out.

Age 78, still exercising five days week, actually just finished hiking, and now it it time for my reward. Happy hour at a local style pub, down in Capo Beach.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 15:11   #34

Boat: Pearson

I started at 6 yrs. old in a 8’ pram, now lightly bury a rail, 2” of water in the cockpit, salt in my face,@70. Health is wealth....... AND keeping up on life time guarantee card premiums lol...Clint Eastwood say s don t let the old man in.... onward.....👍👍😁😁🍸🍸
Old 06-02-2019, 15:18   #35

Boat: a sailing boat

Older ... older ...older...

What did you say? I can't hear ...!!!

;-)))))

I remember ages ago I got warned my language was not quite up to the club when I called us a bunch of old farts. And then I thought it was because I said 'farts' ... I was young and innocent then. ;-)

Cheers,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 15:39   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How Old Are We?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Older ... older ...older...

What did you say? I can't hear ...!!!

;-)))))

I remember ages ago I got warned my language was not quite up to the club when I called us a bunch of old farts. And then I thought it was because I said 'farts' ... I was young and innocent then. ;-)

Cheers,
barnakiel
Hey Barni.. you back in Las Palmas yet.. good to see you back on here anyway..
Sorry for the drift guys..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 17:06   #37

As far as feeling old and/or beat up, I like Hunter S. Thompson's quote
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Neither pretty nor well preserved but not quite ready to slide in broadside. 67 y.o.a. so far. Look 50ish, think 30 something, feel? depends on the day and what I did two days before.
slmkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:26   #38

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I love that earlier comment, if some of you guys missed it
"Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional"

I am in the 71-80 category and see that of the 3 who are >81 one of them has surfaced (Bravo! High Pointer). Would be interesting to hear from the others. I hope i am going that strong when i am >81.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:44   #39

Boat: Rafiki 37

I really hope this thread keeps rolling, and we get a lot more votes. Early on the 51-60 category led the way, which surprised me. Now I see the 61-70 group has caught up. This is what I would expect.

I appreciate the poll, but it’s too bad the age categories were not slightly different. In particular, I suspect age 65 remains a significant demarcation point.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:45   #40

Boat: 1978 Tartan 34C

I just turned 40, and after looking at the poll I'm feeling pretty young.

My wife and I have been sailing on lakes for 10 years and chartering in the Caribbean for the last five.

We have recently purchased a sailboat that we are going to go cruising on and we hope we are sailing when we hit the "older then dirt" category.

sjrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:16   #41

Boat: O'Day 26

While I consider myself to be in good shape at 78, and enjoy rowing dinghy out to mooring, the difficulty of climbing (actually pulling myself up) out the dinghy has increasing considerably within just the past couple of seasons. Fortunately, 90% of the time I do not feel my age, but recognize I must exercise considerably more caution than I felt necessary several years ago. Purchasing the 4hp four stroke Yamaha for the dinghy 12 years ago was probably a mistake as moving the 50 pound outboard to its rail mount, even with safety harness on motor can be a challenge. While I still plan to sail (motor) the ICW from Cape Cod to Florida and across Lake Okeechobee before turning 80, the original plan to do so solo will have to be modified. As for quitting sailing, that will only be considered due to serious health problem(s) or possibly continued pressure from spouse.
TideTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 16:27   #42

Boat: Beneteau 461 46 feet

At 83 I am still sailing and will bring Synergy up to Maine again this year with a couple of old (not as old as me) retires. My much younger wife will drive up. In 2006 we sailed to and from the Bahamas from CT and in 2008 sailed to St Thomas for 4 years, returning to CT by way of Cuba and FL. In 2016 back and forth to the Bahamas and the last 3 years to Maine for the summer. Sailors are never too old the get on their boat and enjoy the water and cruising!
Glen Ballou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 16:38   #43

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Who’s emulating .

People ask how can we be “retired” at 48/52 (the age we were when we stepped away)? “Easy” I say. “We’re just choosing to be poor.”

Poor financially — rich in all the things that really matters.
You have one of the best attitudes around here. Thanks.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 19:08   #44

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Who’s emulating .

People ask how can we be “retired” at 48/52 (the age we were when we stepped away)? “Easy” I say. “We’re just choosing to be poor.”

Poor financially — rich in all the things that really matters.
This reminded me of an encounter at a 'club cruise' where one of our more affluent members was docked next to us for the party. This guy had about a pretty much new, 50+ foot power cruiser with all the toys. Easily worth around a million or so.

So me and my wife are chatting with his wife and we're telling her about our plans to move aboard Argyle and cruise. We're both in the 41-50 category and the lady asks us, un-ironically, how is it that we can afford to leave work and go cruising.

I was stunned. I looked at her, looked over to their million dollar yacht, then back at her, then looked for the 4th wall camera to look in to, Mel Brooks style. There was no camera there, but there should have been.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 19:38   #45

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

I just put 51-60 back in the lead!!
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote