Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 04:27   #1

Boat: hunter 37 cherubini
Foreign Boat Registration

Im buying a yacht in is lcated in the philippines where Im at but im a usa citizen! what needs to be done to get it regestered in the usa? I can fly back to usa to do the paper wrk if needed. just need advice what t do for i am retired in the philippines.thanksgary
zigzag30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:15   #2

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: foreign boat regestration

AFAIK, You could certainly hire an agent to handle the paperwork and probably save the trip.

Google is your friend.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 16:24   #3

Boat: hunter 37 cherubini

Dot Dun
Yes I did consider that option but I need to return to usa anyway to gather some items I cant seam to find here in the phiippines
thank you for your reply
gary
I did find out what is needed by usa dnr to regester the boat and it is not that difficult.
zigzag30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 08:42   #4

Boat: Com-pac 25

Based on my research I believe you can go to the US Embassy in Manila and they should be able to provide the appropriate forms you need to get your vessel US Registered. I don't think you need to register the vessel to a specific US State until you bring the boat and settle in a specific State. When you do, you may want to do your homework because some States charge a lot more than others for boat registration.

At any rate contact the US Embassy.
zUrchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 00:00   #5

Boat: Swan 56

Another option may be Langkawi International Yacht Registry in Malaysia. Cheap and no requirement for citizenship, residency or even having the boat in Malaysia

JSwitch Slide Menu
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 01:32   #6

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

If you don't leave Philippino waters you shouldn't need to change the rego.
But check with the local authorities to confirm this.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 06:27   #7

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

I looked into this a couple of years ago and I believe that you can go onto the USCG site and download the appropriate forms: 1) a form that you have to fill out; and, 2) a form so you can qualify a credit/debit card for payment. Unlike previously, I believe that now they will accept a fax of the original bill of sale - but perhaps you will need to mail it (I am fuzzy on this point at the moment). Registering with the USCG means that you don't have to register it with a state - at least while the boat is out of the country. I understand that if you want to register in the USA, Florida is a good place to do this - with an address at St. Brendan's Isle or some such. I will be interested in the current paperwork as I am getting close to having to register my catamaran which was built here in Tombobo Bay (on the southern tip of Negros). My builder recently did this for the person who purchased a similar catamaran who was a Japanese gentleman who had previously lived in the USA (NYNY).
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 06:56   #8

Boat: Morgan 34
Send a message via Yahoo to bosunj Send a message via Skype™ to bosunj
Re: Foreign Boat Registration

Why would you want to register it in DUHmerica? Makes no sense.
bosunj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 08:30   #9

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
If you don't leave Philippino waters you shouldn't need to change the rego.
But check with the local authorities to confirm this.
The problem is that most countries require CITIZENSHIP for the boat to be documented in the respective country.

For the most up-to-date information about documenting a vessel with the US Coast Guard, go to the National Vessel Documentation Center

Here is a link to the USCG PDF Letter of Instruction explaining how to complete the documentation process, which forms you need and the fees

Also run the hull number through the records center and see if the boat has ever been documented in the US before... That will make it easier. They also use the orginal hull number if one has been issued.

Finally, here is the Code of Federal Regulations 46 CFR Part 67 that explains everything you need to do to document your vessel.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 08:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
The problem is that most countries require CITIZENSHIP for the boat to be documented in the respective country.

For the most up-to-date information about documenting a vessel with the US Coast Guard, go to the National Vessel Documentation Center

Also run the hull number through the records center and see if the boat has ever been documented in the US before... That will make it easier. They also use the orginal hull number if one has been issued.

Finally, here is the Code of Federal Regulations 46 CFR Part 67 that explains everything you need to do to document your vessel.
LOL, I have a EU passport, my residence is in Thailand, my boat is registered in St. Vincent.

There is NO BENEFIT to US Documentation. Quite the contrary. If it's nationalism OK, silly, but OK, but really there are more reasons NOT to document in DUHmerica than to do so.

Darn sure wouldn't want to be subject to US authorities boarding my boat with no more than a get out of the way in international waters around the world.
Old 15-09-2012, 08:53   #11

Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosunj View Post

Darn sure wouldn't want to be subject to US authorities boarding my boat with no more than a get out of the way in international waters around the world.
First the poster asked how to document the boat in the US not other nations....

Second, you better open your eyes.... Your vessel, no matter what flag you are flying is subject to being boarded by US authorites if they have an agreement with the country they are operating in or suspect you of drug trafficking in international waters.

Old 15-09-2012, 08:59   #12

Quote:
Second, you better open your eyes.... Your vessel, no matter what flag you are flying is subject to being boarded by US authorites if they have an agreement with the country they are operating in or suspect you of drug trafficking in international waters.
Ah yes, the great and powerful DUHmerica does whatever it darn well wants. Magnificent.
Old 15-09-2012, 09:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosunj View Post
Ah yes, the great and powerful DUHmerica does whatever it darn well wants. Magnificent.
You should read the United Nations Convention on Laws of the Sea....

It seems that since everyone of the EU countries and all of Asia, except Cambodia have reatified the convention.

So it would appear that both your home country and the country of your vessel's flag have signed that agreement, thus they placed you under the bus so to speak, not the USA.

So your obvious distaste for the USA should be addressed to your country or your vessel's flagged country, not this forum!

Old 15-09-2012, 09:17   #14

Quote:

So your obvious distaste for the USA should be addressed to your country or your vessel's flagged country, not this forum!
Oh my, I seem to have done the unthinkable. How DARE I. Oh, my.
Old 15-09-2012, 09:41   #15

Quote:
You should read the United Nations Convention on Laws of the Sea....

It seems that since everyone of the EU countries and all of Asia, except Cambodia have reatified the convention.

So it would appear that both your home country and the country of your vessel's flag have signed that agreement, thus they placed you under the bus so to speak, not the USA.
With respect.
I think that one of the reasons why there are differing understandings on the effect of the convention and other international treaties is that, when the USA signs a treaty it becomes in effect part of the law of the land. Where as in some other countries the conventions and treaties have no effect untill laws are passed to give effect to those treaties.

This is the situation in Australian law - one of the reason why Australia is more willing to sign conventions ....... than the USA.

Tags
registration