Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2018, 14:12   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 38
fiji timer settings computer

Hi,

We moved from French Polynesia to Fiji. We passed the date line. Now I have troubles with my time settings in my primarily pc. It’s a European windows 8 device.
So. In time settings I can select "use internet time" (we have 3g here) and then the time is like a day behind. I can select not to use "internet time" and set the correct time and date myself and then the device time is ok. If I select use utc time the time is also half a day behind compare to utc on the gps.
But, and this is the main problem.
All weather data via sailmail downloaded gribs or windy etc online are wrong in time, even when I put my device time correct manually or put everything in utc. So windy is +/- a day behind and the gribs I freshly downloaded looks like 1 or even more days old. 2 gfs gribs big and small scale downloaded and requested at the same time give even different times compare to each other but that’s another thing.
I am not sure if the mentioned sources gives the weather for yesterday or that it gives the weather from today (or now) but with the wrong time shown. This is very inconvenient with planning.
So for example on the way from Samoa to Fiji (w/s/w) I thought the southerly wind that was predicted via gribs for half way did not come through and I gave up our more southerly course that we followed to win height and so we went more w/s/w straight to Fiji. +/- 24 hours later the wind turned from s/e to the south and we got to deal with head winds. So you understand the problem. Also to plan a 1 day sail on a 1 day given window is impossible. We are in a sheltered bay with no feeling for the winds outside.
Who can help me?!
Manny Thanks and sunny greetings from Fiji. Marc.
__________________

Mark10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 15:16   #2
cruiser
 
NoTies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vanuatu
Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Posts: 1,569
Images: 2
Re: fiji timer settings computer

Windows 8 should allow you to set your location via settings.
__________________

NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 16:17   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPB
Posts: 8,853
Re: fiji timer settings computer

What have you set as your Time Zone setting in Windows?
(Via Date and Time Properties)

It should be "(UTC+12:00) Fiji"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 22:51   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 38
Re: Fiji time settings computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
What have you set as your Time Zone setting in Windows?
(Via Date and Time Properties)

It should be "(UTC+12:00) Fiji"
I have done that just now. Its sunday 29-7 17:44 here at the moment
I put the time zone via time and date settings on "(UTC+12:00) Fiji" and now it shows: monday 30-7 05:45 so 1 day ahead.

If i check Windy now. it shows the NOW weather for monday 30-7 06:00 so i think it uses the pc time but rounds up.

I also allowed the pc to use my location. No solution yet.

But many thanks for the reply's.

It,s weird.
Mark10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 23:34   #5
Registered User
 
Dsanduril's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Panama Awaiting Transit
Boat: Outremer 50S
Posts: 1,937
Re: fiji timer settings computer

Windows 8 (and most (all?) other MS operating systems) keep the hardware clock running on local time (it has been a peeve of many in the computing industry for a long time - especially for those who dual-boot into Linux or Unix). There are a couple of things you can try:

1. Restart the computer and enter the computer setup/BIOS/CMOS routine. This is usually a function key press while restarting but different vendors use different keys or key combinations. You'll have to watch your screen for "press [key] to enter setup".

Check the date/time (and possibly timezone depending on vendor) in the BIOS for the CMOS clock and set these to the correct local time.

Reboot into Windows and see if that helped. Windows should then update the BIOS to be accurate to the second using the internet time, so as long as you get it reasonably close in BIOS that's a good start.

2. There is an optional setting in Windows called "RealTimeIsUniversal" that allows the CMOS clock to be kept in UTC. This is not a perfect tool and in not fully supported by Microsoft, if it has been set then it could be causing problems. To check use the registry editor (Start - Run - Regedit) and then search the registry (Ctrl-F) for "RealTimeIsUniversal" or just look for it here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\TimeZoneInformation\RealTimeIsUniversal

If you don't see RealTimeIsUniversal (RTU) then it is not being used and is not a problem. But, if RTU = 00000001 then is being used. You can delete the key or change it to zero and then reboot and see if that helps (all the usual caveats about editing the registry, care, caution, etc.).

Those are the two most common issues I've found in Windows machines used around the world, but if neither of them helps then I might dredge my brain for a few more.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 23:35   #6
Moderator
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 14,948
Re: fiji timer settings computer

All these vagaries vanish if you join the flat Earth Society!

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II on the hard at the Boat Works
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 02:31   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Boat: Island Packet 40
Posts: 2,822
Images: 7
Re: fiji timer settings computer

Might be quicker and easier to just reverse course and sail around the world the other way.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 04:15   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPB
Posts: 8,853
Re: Fiji time settings computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark10 View Post
I have done that just now. Its sunday 29-7 17:44 here at the moment
I put the time zone via time and date settings on "(UTC+12:00) Fiji" and now it shows: monday 30-7 05:45 so 1 day ahead.

If i check Windy now. it shows the NOW weather for monday 30-7 06:00 so i think it uses the pc time but rounds up.

I also allowed the pc to use my location. No solution yet.

But many thanks for the reply's.

It,s weird.
After you changed the time zone, did you reset the date time?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 04:25   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6,782
Re: fiji timer settings computer

Try to set the time zone and then manually set the date & time. Sometimes the trigger to update automatically seems to hang up but if you manually set it then return to automatic, it's fine.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 14:29   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 38
Re: fiji timer settings computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Windows 8 (and most (all?) other MS operating systems) keep the hardware clock running on local time (it has been a peeve of many in the computing industry for a long time - especially for those who dual-boot into Linux or Unix). There are a couple of things you can try:

1. Restart the computer and enter the computer setup/BIOS/CMOS routine. This is usually a function key press while restarting but different vendors use different keys or key combinations. You'll have to watch your screen for "press [key] to enter setup".

Check the date/time (and possibly timezone depending on vendor) in the BIOS for the CMOS clock and set these to the correct local time.

Reboot into Windows and see if that helped. Windows should then update the BIOS to be accurate to the second using the internet time, so as long as you get it reasonably close in BIOS that's a good start.

2. There is an optional setting in Windows called "RealTimeIsUniversal" that allows the CMOS clock to be kept in UTC. This is not a perfect tool and in not fully supported by Microsoft, if it has been set then it could be causing problems. To check use the registry editor (Start - Run - Regedit) and then search the registry (Ctrl-F) for "RealTimeIsUniversal" or just look for it here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\TimeZoneInformation\RealTimeIsUniversal

If you don't see RealTimeIsUniversal (RTU) then it is not being used and is not a problem. But, if RTU = 00000001 then is being used. You can delete the key or change it to zero and then reboot and see if that helps (all the usual caveats about editing the registry, care, caution, etc.).

Those are the two most common issues I've found in Windows machines used around the world, but if neither of them helps then I might dredge my brain for a few more.

Hi, Many thanks for this info! This sounds good. I will try and get back with the results. Have to find out how to get in bios mode on pre installed wondows 8 on Toshiba satellite. Today i am busy with other things, computer things is more for the evenings.
Mark10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 15:44   #11
Registered User
 
Dsanduril's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Panama Awaiting Transit
Boat: Outremer 50S
Posts: 1,937
Re: fiji timer settings computer

Had one of those for a long time.

https://support.toshiba.com/support/...il?soid=627009

Quote:
Information
This bulletin documents the several different methods for gaining access to the BIOS Setup feature of most models of Toshiba computers. These setting are stored in non-volatile CMOS memory, hence the alternative term "CMOS Setup". The settings are managed by a utility program built into the computer's BIOS (Basic Input/Output System).

For Toshiba notebook PCs manufactured since the introduction of Windows XP
One or more of the following methods will be effective:

F2 key method
Turn the computer on. If you see an invitation to press the F2 key to enter Setup, do so. The Setup screen will appear.

Toshiba Hardware utility method
Run the Toshiba Hardware utility from the Toshiba Console. It may also accessible (as 'HWSetup') from the Windows Control Panel. Changes to some of the settings will require re-starting the computer. This method is the only way to access the BIOS settings on some notebook PCs (Satellite 5000 series, for example)[emphasis added]. (For these machines, pressing and holding the F12 key immediately after powering-on the notebook will allow you to alter the notebook's boot priority.)

If the Toshiba Hardware utility is not present, try the F2 key method and the Esc key method (see below). The Toshiba Hardware utility may be downloaded from the Toshiba support website at //support.toshiba.com

If the computer is fully off, and/or to avoid having to re-start it (and Windows), use one or the other of the following two methods[sic - quote is complete, but there aren't two methods following]. The PC will have to be truly off (not suspended, or in standby mode, or in hibernation mode). If an external keyboard is attached to the notebook (either directly or via a docking station or a port-replicator), disconnect it until you have completed this procedure.

Esc key method
Turn the computer on. If you do not see a prompt to press the F2 key, then immediately press and hold the Esc key for three seconds, and then release it. When prompted to, press the F1 key. The Setup screen will appear.
My experience, the keystroke methods are not infallible, it frequently takes repeated presses during the boot process to get the BIOS at just the right point where it sees the stroke (there's a pretty short window and many computers these days boot so quickly that the window is gone before you can read the instruction message, much less process and then activate your finger). But once you know it is F2 just press repeatedly during boot (press and hold generally does not work).
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 14:15   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 38
Re: fiji timer settings computer

Hi!
My problems are all solved! Who can say that?!
The time in bios was correct. I dont know what happened but it all works fine now. Many thanks for the good advises, Marco
__________________

Mark10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Fiji

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ref. Timer Settings deepthought Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 0 03-08-2016 18:30
To Fiji or not to Fiji? That is the question... Wellington Pacific & South China Sea 40 23-02-2016 15:16
Wanted Raymarina Type 300 Course computer or S3 Course computer Plukky Marine Electronics 0 08-05-2014 23:20
Settings for Fugawi 4 and GlobalSat BU-353 GPS?? ssullivan Navigation 4 02-01-2007 13:31
Default notification email settings... coot Forum Tech Support & Site Help 1 02-04-2006 21:15



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:29.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.