Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2014, 16:28   #16

Boat: Various
Re: Ferry Sinks.....

Well, the charges have now been filed against the captain and one of them is making a tight turn too fast. Various others centering around failing to take steps to protect the people and leaving the boat. He is blaming his failure to evacuate the boat on the fact that it was cold and windy and no rescue boat was there. Guess the thought of using any of the life rafts never crossed his mind.

Handcuffed captain: 'I had everybody stand by' aboard sinking ferry - CNN.com
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 06:22   #17

Boat: PETERSON 44

He was not prepared to put people in the water. He should have ordered everyone topside at the onset. We do not just jump off our boats. Certainly not off something with freeboard like that ferry had. There was not 2 hours of window to evacuate.at 9 the coast guard was notified by the time they were on seen about 9:30 the boat was healed 60 degrees.there was a chance and window of about 10 minutes to get everyone topside. Getting 400 people into rafts in the remaining minutes of opportunity would have been impossible.. Design failure that these boats can't launch rafts when healed.passengers can't move about with loose furniture and crap all over the place.very hard to get around once the boat tips that far.. One reason to keep stuff stowed real well.. That's my early analysis. Tragic sad event

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 05:09   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I thought the following article was pretty good.

Seemed to sum up and provide historical background.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/201...DAD9P1GG0.html
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 08:33   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Sad and tragic event.
Could be that events just overwhelmed the Capt and crew, sounds like it went from bad to worse in a very short period of time.
The Capt repeatedly told VTS that people could not move about the ship due to the list.
With that list, use of rafts would have been difficult, and lifeboats just about impossible.
I can see his concern for getting the passangers topsides, he may have been concerned they would have gone into the water and been swept away, and least we forget, none of us were there.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 08:36   #20

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

It sounds like, given the captain's concerns of current and cold water, he didn't trust the passengers to not jump overboard of their own volition once on deck. Tragedy, to be sure.
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 10:37   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Sad and tragic event.
Could be that events just overwhelmed the Capt and crew, sounds like it went from bad to worse in a very short period of time.
The Capt repeatedly told VTS that people could not move about the ship due to the list.
With that list, use of rafts would have been difficult, and lifeboats just about impossible.
I can see his concern for getting the passangers topsides, he may have been concerned they would have gone into the water and been swept away, and least we forget, none of us were there.
Perhaps his concern would have been better placed in actually being in the pilothouse instead of his cabin and not having a novice handling it through difficult waters and conditions?

I do think the captain did a poor job but I really hope this goes back heavily on the ferry owner and perhaps even to criminal charges there if the facts warrant it. I still think Carnival (owner of Costa) escaped too lightly on the Concordia. Not suggesting should have been criminal there but should have been major repercussions such as I feel should be on the boats with illnesses spread, failing systems and sewage and them choosing to leave the passengers on board for days rather than the nearest port to save money. Same thing with Bounty. Yes, Captain was at fault, but owner was also-very much so.

Don't know the facts by any means yet but issues could include the refit of the boat, the loading and securing of the cargo, amount of cargo and cars, training and credentials of crew, and proceeding in poor conditions. Captains are responsible for what takes place on their boat. But so are owners. And one rule remains tops and that is safety. Safety of those aboard. Human life above all else. Above boat. Above Cargo. And that order comes from the top as well.

I still can't read about this without shaking. The tragedy of the kids lost.
Old 20-04-2014, 10:55   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Manning levels on the ferry will have been set by IMO and the State of Korea, which to be honest are bare minimum. A good operator will increase manning above this level.
The Capt cannot be about 24/7, he may well have put in an 18 hr day, we dont know.
Think they said the 3rd Mate was 25yrs old, so maybe 4 or 5 years experience, this has not been reported on yet.
I agree, safety tops everything, especially when it comes to passengers, but the captain can only work with the tools his company provides him with (or walks, which I have done in the past).
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 10:59   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
I agree, safety tops everything, especially when it comes to passengers, but the captain can only work with the tools his company provides him with (or walks, which I have done in the past).
Exactly why I said to not stop at the Captain. Owners must be held responsible if we really want to stop such from happening. Time for something more than a slap on the wrist too.

Tags
Ferry, ferry