Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 21:24   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Dock Walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
I went home and googled around. Her designer is an America’s cup Hall of Famer. Her keel was laid in 1971. She was built from the 1946 designs for the ‘Marco Polo’.
There used to be a do-it-yourself yard down at Pete's Harbor in Redwood City. Back in it's heyday, you would have seen half a dozen Marco Polos being constructed there.

Sooner or later, someone was adjusting the stands on his boat and, in the process, dropped his boat atop himself. He sued Pete, and Pete closed the yard.

The way I heard the story--back when I lived aboard at Pete's Harbor, which was back when Pete Uccelli was still alive--there hasn't been a Marco Polo built since then.
Old 03-10-2011, 21:44   #17

Boat: 1974 islander 44
Bash , that brings back all kings of memories . Grew up in San Carlos , and we would put a little plywood dinghy in the bay right behind the san carlos airport at high tide . Had a one house sears outboard on the back . We would always try and make it to pete's harbor , but on many occasions we got stock in the mud when thee tide went out , and had to sit in the boat and wait for the slough to fill up at high tide again , just to make out back to the cement factory where we left our bicycles and thee trailer we built to tow it behind the bikes . Grew up with out video games or cell phones , and wouldn't have out any other way . We actually went outside and had adventures
Svsilvergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 21:58   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

I love dock walking and meandering around a mooring field int the row boat looking at boats. Silva Bay is wonderful for the wide variety of wooden boats there. Alan Ferrel's Native Girl is anchored there right now, very picturesque. There's usually a couple of schooners including a junk rigged one.

When I had a slip at Tsehum Harbour it was a dock walkers paradise. I think there was 800 boats at that marina. My favorite was a small one, I couldn't tell you the the make or manufacturer but she looked like she was from the 60's and now was entirely neglected. She had been lovingly cared for and sailed regularily until her master had died. His wife kept his ashes on board since it was his favorite place but she was an old woman and the boat didn't get cared for. She paid for the slip and could visit her husbands ashes there. I hope someday it'll sail again.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 22:34   #19

Boat: Bollard 50' Sea Fever Motor Sailer

Memories! I grew up in a small fishing village and was my grandfathers "Shadow" around the wharves and particularly used to love the days spent with him aboard his old timber "Clinker" on the river.
At about eight years of age I begged to be allowed to use the clinker by myself, since I drove "Pa" everywhere anyhow!
He said I could use it when I could swim to Orient Point, across the river and putted along beside me when I made several unsucessful attempts over the years.
I learned a lot about tides and where the river runs fastest and finally at about twelve I made it only to have "Pa' say...."Now swim back!"
It took another year before I understood why he did that, and finally got to use the boat. Not only did I get to use it but he gave it to me as a gift.
Sorry to hijack the thread Sarafina but these are the types of characters I seem to meet when I go dockwalking, Dare I say "salt of the earth".
Shiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 22:50   #20
Marine Service Provider

I love Dock-Walking too. I take it as a bit of a challenge to look like I'm meant to be there, so when I follow someone through the security gate, I walk with a purpose and hope to get away with it

My partner doesn't see the fun in it and never wants to go through the gates; therefore when she hesitates, I get caught out. It can be amusing, but when we do get through it is very rewarding for exactly those reasons that you have pointed out. It is a pity that others have spoiled it for everyone else and caused the gates to have to be installed.

PS: The worst ones are the ones you need a swipe card to get OUT of the gates as well as in
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 22:50   #21
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiner View Post
Memories!
Sorry to hijack the thread Sarafina but these are the types of characters I seem to meet when I go dockwalking, Dare I say "salt of the earth".
That's no hijack Shiner! That's a wonderful story is what it is. I am loving hearing all the remembrances. We have, all of us such a shared past I think.

Which I suppose is one of the things that holds a community together ; -)

My grandfather's birthday was this week, and he would have been 104. He's been gone 10 years now. It feels good to think about him. Thanks all for letting me share.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:58   #22

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

...another thread could be started just to relate strange and wonderful experiences while walking the docks.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:18   #23
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Feel free to share yours here ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:40   #24

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Whilst in Half Moon Bay, my sweetie and I were living aboard at the time and doing our evening twilight walk. We were passing one of those old flat bottom schooners they use to use in the delta in the early 1900's. A family was living aboard while they were restoring it. Their little boy was leaning over the rail and fell in. The mother screamed, the husband dove in after him and the mother became really hysterical screaming that neither could swim. The father thrust the little boy towards me as he disappeared. I grabbed the toddler and dragged him out just in time for the father to surface gasping for a breath and then grabbed him. Man!!!...my heart was pounding. Needless to say the father looked embarrassed. That's about as exciting as a dock walk should ever get.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:07   #25

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Walked out to the end of the pier with the wife, and viewed a glass smooth sea.

Me "Gosh, its still out there"
She "What's still out there?"
Me "The ocean, it's still out there"
She " of course it is, where did you expect it to be"

I love that woman.

Tags
dock