Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2013, 07:18   #1

Boat: '02 Jeanneau Sun Odyssy 43DS
Considering bringing a boat from US to Hong Kong

Hi all

I live in Hong Kong and I am considering upgrading my boat to a full size one....

It seems that the market in the US is very favorable and I was wondering if anyone would have an idea of how much it would cost to bring a boat from the States to Hong Kong.

Thanks for your time

Andres
andreshs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 09:43   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Considering bringing a boat from US to Hong Kong

Somewhere between five and fifty thousand dollars, depending on the SIZE you forgot to mention, and the type (sail? power?) and which coast you buy it from (Canal fees) and whether you are hiring crew, sailing it yourself, or having it carried on a transport or float-on-float-off.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 10:14   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

It might be cost effective to ship it, because many container ships from US West Coast to Asia go empty (a consequence of the trade imbalance with China).

I investigated shipping my 28' sloop from Hong Kong to Thailand in 2005. Because that was originating in Asia, the cost was prohibitive (they will build a cradle and weld it to the deck - since nothing can go above, you'll be charged for the five containers that could have gone above).

Anyway, I ended up sailing that boat over, but went through a late-season typhoon, dismasted and landed in Da Nang, Vietnam. So, that'll teach ya.
Old 29-01-2013, 11:22   #4

Boat: Oyster 53

Andres,

We went through exactly what you are thinking. However, after 6 years of grinding it out in HK I came to the realization that everything there is in short supply: good manners, clean air and yes, even boat slips.

Determined to improve our poor quality of life we bought an Oyster 53 located in the UK and planned to ship her over to HK. Despite months of searching for a suitable slip - I even went to the Marine Department and they recommended I just anchor her in some unprotected bay - we had to give up. The RHKYC has a 3-year waiting list and that is for members only. Other country club-type places require huge joining fees and can't guarantee you a slip - even if they have vacant ones.

The whole process was so frustrating that I wrote about it in detail on my blog, www.theseaissalt.com. You may find it under the heading "Blown Out of Hong Kong."

So what did we do with a big boat in the UK and us in HK? We shipped the boat to Seattle and moved the family here. Haven't had a bad day since!

Cheers.

Dhillen
Old 29-01-2013, 13:05   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

All true about the difficulty (and expense) of getting a slip in Honkers (mine was on an illegal mooring in Nim Shi Wan at Disco Bay). But I assumed the OP, seeing as how he's already got a boat there would have all that properly sussed, or at least know what to expect. HK officials are neither unprofessional nor rude, they just don't bend the rules for anyone. However, That fairly describes bureaucrats in lots of places.
Old 29-01-2013, 16:02   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Gee...When you talk about Hong Kong, it sounds like you're talking about Hawaii. perhaps only in regards to slip availability. What I and others ran into in Hawaii was their anti-boat way of looking at things. My first wife was Japanese and she told me the Asians tend to look down at boaters, as the very poor lives on them in there home country. If you've ever lived in the Islands, you'll notice the Japanese hold the higher positions in running things.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 17:36   #7

Hi guys True, I neglected to mention the size and class, I am a sailor and want something over 45ft.

Dhillen, sneuman

I totally agree with you guys, I have been on the waiting list for years now. So I am buying a cheaper boat with mooring rights and most likely sink it, just for the mooring
And true also on the difficulty of parts and good craftmanship, not to mension that since most of the yards are ran by locals the quality and service is rubbish.
Second hand market is also crazy, with owners asking more for 2nd hand boats that the price of the same boat new!!

But this is where work is at present.

I know that a similar size boat shipped from europe costs 20k EUR. Some friends have inported the boats here.

Regards
Andres
Old 30-01-2013, 04:43   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Andres - You can find boat bits (standing rigging, esp.) in Mong Kok (Reclamation Rd. area) and also there's a couple chanderlies in Ap Lei Chau.
Old 30-01-2013, 14:53   #9

Andres,

We just couldn't square the math of keeping a large boat in HK. First, where do you go? They have just opened Hainan Island up to cruising, so that is a possibility if you can get the time off, as is the Philippines. But sailing through sewage around HK just wasn't something I wanted to put my boat through. If you are a racer then you know your 45 foot boat is going to dwarf most of the competition there.

If you have been on the waiting list for years then maybe your number is coming up. I calculated that if I wanted a slip sooner than a vague "three years off" I would have to join some sort of club, then the fees start to go straight up. Plus, unless you want your nice big boat turning turd colored in the black rain that falls each week you need to hire a boat boy to clean it. Adding it all up, I figured I could buy the boat, put it in Seattle and then fly the family there SEVEN TIMES A YEAR for LESS than what it would cost to keep her in HK.

Thinking about it some more, we just said, Hell, let's move to Seattle - and we did!

Best of luck.

Dhillen
Old 30-01-2013, 15:32   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There some reasoning to your points but its not as bad as all that. I lived in HK for four years (2000-2004) and if you stay out of the harbor, the sailing around the outlying islands is quite nice. Lots of big boats, too.
Old 30-01-2013, 17:09   #11

Sailing from the US to HK by the usual cruiser routes is a highly sought-after trip. I would think you would do this yourself, or easily find crew, or have someone do it for you. It would be a disgrace to ship a seaworthy yacht along that route.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 08:19   #12

Hi

Snauman, thanks for the tips, I went a few times to Reclamation Street, but everytime I ended up insulting someone, I hate when they try to rip me off.
I usually buy stuff in Ap Lei Chao, there are some very friendly shops there.

Guys
What can I say about the quality if the water in HK....it is freacking discusting. I am originally from Spain, Alicante, down on the beach of the south east coast, crystal clear waters with golden sandy beaches (at least before I left 14years ago....)

Before being disposed in HK we used to live in Tokyo, visiting often the coast of the Izu Peninsula, lovely place, clean waters and honest people. Great diving there, not much sailing though.

But for better or worst (still waiting for the better after 3.5 years...) I got shipped here. And the only thing we can try to enjoy doing with the family is sailing, but the wife wants a bigger boat, hopping for some longer trips to eventually cambodia, vietnam, etc

I wish I could just sail the boat myself, but who has that sort of time off??!!??

But anyway, this is just market research, a few weeks back I bid on a catalina 36 1999, but the asking price is higher that the price of a brand new Hanse 345.... 2nd hand market here is insane.

I am member of a club already, waiting for a mooring in Aberdeen or Middle Island, but I checked with fhe marine department and I could get a mooring immediately in Tolo Harbour, Tai Po

Regards
Andres
Old 31-01-2013, 08:56   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreshs1 View Post
Hi

Snauman, thanks for the tips, I went a few times to Reclamation Street, but everytime I ended up insulting someone, I hate when they try to rip me off.

Guys
What can I say about the quality if the water in HK....it is freacking discusting. I am originally from Spain, Alicante, down on the beach of the south east coast, crystal clear waters with golden sandy beaches (at least before I left 14years ago....)

Before being disposed in HK we used to live in Tokyo, visiting often the coast of the Izu Peninsula, lovely place, clean waters and honest people. Great diving there, not much sailing though.

But for better or worst (still waiting for the better after 3.5 years...) I got shipped here. And the only thing we can try to enjoy doing with the family is sailing, but the wife wants a bigger boat, hopping for some longer trips to eventually cambodia, vietnam, etc

I wish I could just sail the boat myself, but who has that sort of time off??!!??

But anyway, this is just market research, a few weeks back I bid on a catalina 36 1999, but the asking price is higher that the price of a brand new Hanse 345.... 2nd hand market here is insane.

I am member of a club already, waiting for a mooring in Aberdeen or Middle Island, but I checked with fhe marine department and I could get a mooring immediately in Tolo Harbour, Tai Po

Regards
Andres
Just be aware that the South China Sea is a very tricky stretch of water. You can get blindsided by a typhoon nearly anytime of year. While it's relatively safe December - June, you've got the nasty winter monsoon followed close on the heels by no wind until typhoon season starts all over again. I tried crossing at the (official) end of typhoon season after October and before winter monsoon (December) and got clobbered by a late-season typhoon. Had planned to go to Thailand, where I had moved, but ended up dismasted and in Vietnam.
Old 31-01-2013, 18:14   #14

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post

Just be aware that the South China Sea is a very tricky stretch of water. You can get blindsided by a typhoon nearly anytime of year. While it's relatively safe December - June, you've got the nasty winter monsoon followed close on the heels by no wind until typhoon season starts all over again. I tried crossing at the (official) end of typhoon season after October and before winter monsoon (December) and got clobbered by a late-season typhoon. Had planned to go to Thailand, where I had moved, but ended up dismasted and in Vietnam.
Satellite weather, relevant met reports keep you pretty well informed. Download sat images two times daily will see you right - they do not move that quickly.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:38   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreshs1 View Post
Hi

Guys

Regards
Andres
Andres,

Have you looked at Thailand and Malaysia? That is where a lot of cruisers wash up and decide to call it quits. We bought our last boat there (Tayana 52) through Leemarine. They are reputable and based in Phuket: Lee Marine Co. Thailand Largest Yacht Brokerage & New Yacht dealers for Riva, Ferretti, Pershing, Riviera, Prestige and Jeanneau

You can either "commute" to the boat from HK or bring her up from there. Either way prices are less and the market is deeper than what you find where you are.

Cheers.

Dhillen