Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2018, 08:56   #1
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,804
Buying Boat Gear Just Got More Expensive

It looks like the Days of Tax Free Internet Sales are about to end with this Supreme Court Ruling today.

https://apnews.com/332abb7455cb4b60b...-pay-sales-tax

So you can add from 7% to 10% to your online purchases that were once Tax Free.
__________________
Rich Boren owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water Makers
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
La Paz Cruisers Supply and Yacht Management and Brokerage
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 09:09   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,156
Re: Buying Boat Gear Just Got More Expensive

This only applies to states that have sales tax.

New Hampshire ("Live Free or Die"). No income tax, No Sales Tax.
__________________

Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 09:34   #3
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,804
Re: Buying Boat Gear Just Got More Expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
This only applies to states that have sales tax.

New Hampshire ("Live Free or Die"). No income tax, No Sales Tax.
Forty-five of the 50 states impose sales taxes.

Gotta Love New Hampshire.
__________________
Rich Boren owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water Makers
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
La Paz Cruisers Supply and Yacht Management and Brokerage
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 15:32   #4
Registered User
 
Icarus's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brisbane
Boat: S&S 40
Posts: 162
Re: Buying Boat Gear Just Got More Expensive

Great isn't it? I am in Australia and from the 1st of July I wont even be able to access some of the US online store sites because the Australian government in its scrambled wisdom wants the overseas seller to collect 10% sales tax. So companies like West Marine and Amazone Us will not even give me access to their website.
The problem is that a lot of euipment and spares are just not available in Oz.
I have no problem with paying the tax but surely it could have been collected here in Oz?
My guess is that there will be some companies who will buy the the goods on our behalf and send it on to us, albeit at a profit.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 17:26   #5
Registered User
 
deblen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Grand Manan,N.B.,Canada N44.40 W66.50
Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Posts: 1,887
Images: 1
Re: Buying Boat Gear Just Got More Expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Great isn't it? I am in Australia and from the 1st of July I wont even be able to access some of the US online store sites because the Australian government in its scrambled wisdom wants the overseas seller to collect 10% sales tax. So companies like West Marine and Amazone Us will not even give me access to their website.
The problem is that a lot of euipment and spares are just not available in Oz.
I have no problem with paying the tax but surely it could have been collected here in Oz?
My guess is that there will be some companies who will buy the the goods on our behalf and send it on to us, albeit at a profit.

The solution is simple.
Canada Customs collects the Canadian sales tax when the incoming pkg. clears Canada Customs.
Why can't OZ Customs do the same?

The US seller,or any foreign seller,has never had to collect sales tax on goods that are being shipped out of that country.
Len
__________________
My personal experience & humble opinions-feel free to ignore both
deblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 17:37   #6
Registered User
 
Icarus's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brisbane
Boat: S&S 40
Posts: 162
Re: Buying Boat Gear Just Got More Expensive

Only goods worth above $1000 go through customs then one pays tax on the item, under $1000 comes directly to your door tax free.
You are right, why can't all international goods go through Australian custom, after all thats what they are there for one would think.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 17:49   #7
Registered User
 
chris mac's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: edmonton alberta
Boat: 1980 san juan 7.7
Posts: 683
Re: Buying Boat Gear Just Got More Expensive

I have been contemplating a new sail pack from sail rite. As soon as I heard about this tariff war, I ordered it. Looks like I got it just prior to the change, should be at my door tomorrow:-).
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 17:54   #8
Registered User
 
deblen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Grand Manan,N.B.,Canada N44.40 W66.50
Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Posts: 1,887
Images: 1
Re: Buying Boat Gear Just Got More Expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Only goods worth above $1000 go through customs then one pays tax on the item, under $1000 comes directly to your door tax free.
You are right, why can't all international goods go through Australian custom, after all thats what they are there for one would think.

Yeah. Customs can always just release the pkg if the value isn't worth taxing.


I don't know of any country that will collect another country's taxes for them. Something doesn't sound right.


Len
__________________
My personal experience & humble opinions-feel free to ignore both
deblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 18:03   #9
Registered User
 
flyingfin's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Cape Haze,FL
Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia
Posts: 413
Re: Buying Boat Gear Just Got More Expensive

Easy solution, buy on-line from AliBaba and buy everything from China
Or pay a couple of cents per dollar and buy American quality marine items.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 18:05   #10
Registered User
 
deblen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Grand Manan,N.B.,Canada N44.40 W66.50
Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Posts: 1,887
Images: 1
Re: Buying Boat Gear Just Got More Expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
I have been contemplating a new sail pack from sail rite. As soon as I heard about this tariff war, I ordered it. Looks like I got it just prior to the change, should be at my door tomorrow:-).

What made you think you were going to be charged sales tax?
Was it a Canadian sales tax or a US state sales tax? Which state?
Something doesn't add up here.


Len
__________________
My personal experience & humble opinions-feel free to ignore both
deblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 18:06   #11
Registered User
 
pesarsten's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St Pete
Boat: Sabre 34
Posts: 521
Re: Buying Boat Gear Just Got More Expensive

With over 14,000 different tax rates in the US it really a compliance nightmare. Sellers must not only collect state taxes and report and disburse funds to each state, but within each state county and city tax must be collected, reported, and paid to the proper entity. Not necessarily a deal breaker for the big guys, but you may see smaller sellers disappear.
__________________
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
pesarsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 18:16   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 428
Re: Buying Boat Gear Just Got More Expensive

I thin there will be collection required only if revenue for that company s more than xxxx. say 5 million.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 18:23   #13
Registered User
 
chris mac's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: edmonton alberta
Boat: 1980 san juan 7.7
Posts: 683
Re: Buying Boat Gear Just Got More Expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
What made you think you were going to be charged sales tax?
Was it a Canadian sales tax or a US state sales tax? Which state?
Something doesn't add up here.


Len
From what I read, Canada is taxing US boat and boat related products as part of the counter to the proposed taxes on Canadian lumber going to the states.
Really it worked as an excuse given to my wife so I could get a new sail pack;-)
I don't know how much of this whole tariff war will happen, I hope none. I prefer friendly neighbor interactions. But if it does, it is going to suck.
To answer your question, Canadian tax on imported US product.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 18:32   #14
Registered User
 
deblen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Grand Manan,N.B.,Canada N44.40 W66.50
Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Posts: 1,887
Images: 1
Re: Buying Boat Gear Just Got More Expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Easy solution, buy on-line from AliBaba and buy everything from China
Or pay a couple of cents per dollar and buy American quality marine items.

With respect-Canada & US manufacturers moved their factories to sweatshop labor rate countries-first Mexico & now Asia -over the last 30 yrs.
There is very little that is mfgrd. in Canada or the US today.
We do some assembly,using imported components & that is about it.
Mexico & Asia have not stolen our "jobs". We gave it to them.

Our unregulated free market system encourages cost cutting & increased profits without regard for the effects on our home economy.


Much of the stuff we buy from our in country stores was produced in those sweatshops.
If you tried to live today on products made in USA or Canada or most western countries,you would be going without a good many items.
Sad-but that is how I see it.
Len
__________________
My personal experience & humble opinions-feel free to ignore both
deblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 18:55   #15
Registered User
 
deblen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Grand Manan,N.B.,Canada N44.40 W66.50
Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Posts: 1,887
Images: 1
Re: Buying Boat Gear Just Got More Expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
From what I read, Canada is taxing US boat and boat related products as part of the counter to the proposed taxes on Canadian lumber going to the states.
Really it worked as an excuse given to my wife so I could get a new sail pack;-)
I don't know how much of this whole tariff war will happen, I hope none. I prefer friendly neighbor interactions. But if it does, it is going to suck.
To answer your question, Canadian tax on imported US product.

Ah yes. The proposed 10% tariff duty on boats & 25% on some other stuff.
Both the Canadian & American people are going to pay more. Sucks big time.
Hopefully it's a "brushfire" that will burn out quickly.
Politics & vote buying-bah!


Nice move on your wife!
__________________

__________________
My personal experience & humble opinions-feel free to ignore both
deblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boat, buying, gear

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got a painting of your boat? I just got an oil done!! MarkJ General Sailing Forum 46 05-10-2016 19:26
is Liveaboard Insurance more expensive? TitoSoto Boat Ownership & Making a Living 11 13-04-2016 11:27
Why is an AIS transmitter so much more expensive than a receiver? David Dennis Marine Electronics 36 26-06-2014 09:14



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:02.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.