Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2016, 18:40   #16

Boat: Boatless at the moment
Re: Black boat and the tropics, a good idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I would doubt you would notice a difference. Maybe a scientific digital thermometer could... but really... you and I? On a Blind RTC? I doubt it.

If everyone tells u a black boat is hotter you will sweat more... but Pavlovs dog does too...

Buy what you want and learn to be man enough not to worry about .2 of a degree

If its your wife who gets hot, I know a great solution
+1

Depends what you call "tropics", on the equator the sun stay straight above you and the hull will never see the sun... or would you paint the decks black?
Tricolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 18:49   #17

Boat: 1987 Beneteau Moorings 432

Decks would not be black! Headed down the west coast of Mexico and Central America then west... The only plan so far.
ScubaNinjaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 19:15   #18

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Ask yourself this question. How many dark colored charter boats do you see in service in the Caribbean, & why/why not? Or are 98% of them white?

Growing up, one of our boats had gorgous red gelcoat topsides. And she sailed like a wicked witch on a broom powered by Lockheed. But compared to our other boats, which were white, she was an oven. And this was at 44 degrees north, on the Great Lakes. Where average summer temp's are in the low 80's F, rarely pushing past 90 deg. F... inland, with it being much cooler near & on the water.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 19:20   #19

Boat: 1978 Rafiki 35

Sunlight is energy. It is simple science. Dark colors such as black, green or red will always absorb more of the light wave spectrum than lighter colors that will reflect more.

Never bought a black, green or red car either as same goes. Where more energy is absorbed more ultimate deterioration of paint or material will occur as well. If the energy is absorbed and the ambient temperature of air/water is already hot (tropics) you have bought yourself an insulated floating oven.
JerseyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 19:28   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
+1

Depends what you call "tropics", on the equator the sun stay straight above you and the hull will never see the sun... or would you paint the decks black?
What I call tropics the sun rose from the east horizon every morning and down to the west horizon every night. The only time it was directly overhead about noon every day.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 19:45   #21

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
What I call tropics the sun rose from the east horizon every morning and down to the west horizon every night. The only time it was directly overhead about noon every day.

I was thinking the same thing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 19:53   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
+1

So it just drops instantaneously from directly overhead to below the horizon at sunset then? And does the opposite at sunrise? I think not.

On the equator, the sun's maximum altitude at noon will be between 90° and 66.5°.

Elsewhere in the tropics, the sun's maximum altitude at noon will be between 90° and 53° depending on your latitude and the time of year.

At any time other than local noon, the altitude will be less than that maximum.

Believe me, vertical surfaces can get very hot here in the tropics.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 20:12   #23
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Good to see no one has produced data on it.

If there was a huuuugggge diference (oops, sorry, Lefties) I bet there would be some graphs.

And a RCT? Pulease... before intelligent folks start getting beligerent, where a a randomised, controlled trial?
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 20:16   #24

So then you can use this 'color disadvantage' in your purchasing 'offer' if you like this vessel so much. Most comments in the thread have the majority saying they would never own anything but a white hulled vessel again. This limits your 'resale value', hence your 'purchase value' needs to be low enough that you won't be crying when you decide to sell it and there are no takers.

Don't know if it's possible to have a boat 'wrapped' like they do vehicles. If so, then there's your answer to cooling, just find an advertiser to pay to 'wrap your boat' and off you go. If you end up spending time in Northern latitudes then take the wrap off and buff your hull out.

i say this because many folks who *thought* they wanted to be in the Tropics, later found out they preferred the High Latitude sailing more.
Clamdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 20:18   #25

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=MarkJ;2192415]Good to see no one has produced data on it.

The earth is flat? It's black and white, not rocket science.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 20:27   #26

Quote:

If there was a huuuugggge diference (oops, sorry, Lefties) I bet there would be some graphs.

And a RCT? Pulease... before intelligent folks start getting beligerent, where a a randomised, controlled trial?
Well it's not boats, but same idea...0651-2312-MTDC; The Effect of Color on Temperatures Inside Hardhats index
Old 18-08-2016, 20:46   #27

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJoe View Post
Well it's not boats, ; The Effect of Color on Temperatures Inside Hardhats index[/url]
Those guy's with the tin foil hats don't realize bare aluminum looks black to the sun.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 20:47   #28

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well, Mark, it's only an "n" of 1, but we used to have light grey non-skid. We measured the temp before and after changing to an off-white. Good for 2 deg. C in Gladstone, same time of year.

Perhaps the reason you don't see studies about it is that Nathaniel Herreshoff was right, it's painfully obvious (says the girl who got blistered feet from the concrete at Coff's Hbr), and therefore no reason to make such a study.

Ann

Ann
Old 18-08-2016, 21:02   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJoe View Post
And from the high tech competitive world of soap box derby racing come these gems regarding the physics, psychology and heat absorption traits of color in racing>

Color Me Fast
Color Me Fast - Part 2

So abstracted in transference: Black boats have a psychological edge and a low skin friction drag, but are friggin hot! Therefore just dominate those white boats in the tropics into thinking they are just as hot while you smoke them at the finish line at the regattas. Otherwise buy it and sail north and charter a nice, slow, non dominant white boat when wanting to sail in the tropics.
Old 18-08-2016, 21:31   #30

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:

Firstly, if you're asking for proof, then were are the studies showing the validity of your (absurd) stance? As without such, your statements pretty much amount to hot air... via your own reasoning.

I know that at times playing Devil's Advocate can really aid in making the right decision, or reaching the correct conclusion, but jeez! If you bother to look, there's more info available on this topic than one can imagine.
Or, you could go & ask a 3yr old. As they fully know the correct answer. So are they wiser than some of us in this thread?
Plus, there's a table on this topic in one of the WEST System guides. Though I don't have a scanner with which to upload said data.

Anyway, here's a chart showing examples. http://www.colourcoil.com/enewsvol5i...emperature.gif
There's easily a 50 degree or more temperature difference between black & white under el Sol.

PS: Also, there are easier, healthier ways to get attention than via wasting the time of good people.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote