Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2011, 18:42   #1

A happy update on the cruiser whose boat was lost off Savannah

I wanted to update everyone on our friend whose boat was lost off Savannah two nights ago.

The Hotel has been WONDERFUL to our friend. After hearing a bit about what happened to him the front desk agent had her son buy a bag of dog food for his dog and a family member was able to get our friend some money via Western Union so he had some funds for food and other needed items.

The Seven Seas Cruising Association had one of their members in the Savannah area contact our friend to see if they could provide any assistance. We want to thank them for that because neither us nor our friend are currently members of the SSCA (but you better believe we are joining now!)

His bank was able to overnight him a new debit card so he should have access to his own funds by tomorrow.

It even looks like he might be able to get a ride to Ohio to retrieve his car! Some recent college grads that are staying at the same hotel as him are headed back to Ohio, a mere 50 miles from where his car and some family members of his are located and they have offered him and his dog a ride north. Yay for good people!!

Thank you for the help in getting the word out there, we really appreciate it!!

Sadly, I don't have an update on what has become of his boat. He was initially told that yes, the Coast Guard was towing in his vessel. Then he was told that they did not tow it in because it was too low in the water. Later in the day he was told the CG helicopter could not locate his vessel. Then he was told that they located it and a diver retrieved some personal items off the boat for him and the reason they did not tow it in was because the weather was too rough. I guess we shall see what happens but he doesn't have high hopes at this point.
starfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 18:56   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: A happy update on the cruiser whose boat was lost off Savannah

It's amazing how good things happen, when things go wrong...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 19:01   #3

This is true. I also find the Cruising community to be quite amazing. We have been in some jams before on our boat and other cruisers will bend over backwards to help you out. I know their are good people everywhere but I think that the cruising community has a few more than the rest of the world
starfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 19:07   #4

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I came across this quote in a book* I just finished reading:

"Honestly I don't know why seamen persist in getting wrecked in some of the outlandish places they do, when they can do it in a nice place like Fiji."

So to that we can add ". . . or Savannah."

* "Desperate Voyage" by John Caldwell, recommended recently by someone here on CF -- a great read.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruiser