Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2009, 12:56   #1

Yacht Delivery Costs - Quick Question

I've done a little research on the web on this stuff but not sure I'm correct. Is something like $225-$350 US per day a normal price for a delivery crew not including provisions, fuel, transportation to/from, etc? I'm showing my boat here in Tonga on Sunday for the first time and thought I'd offer to deliver it as part of the cost.

I'm not looking at costs of one of those specialized mega yacht delivery crews. Just a mom and pop type two-man operation.

Drew
getlostonpurpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 13:11   #2

Boat: Any time now!
Price

I was waiting for you to post a price actually since you have a very nice specimen for the Pearson 365. Its $20k more than the most expensive one on yachtworld though, puts it a bit out of my league.

Very nice boat though, and a 365 is very near the top of the list for what model I will end up with. I like the Ketch rig and they seem like a good solid bluewater cruiser. A lot of boat for the usual price too.

I hope you sell it quickly! I have followed some of your ups and downs on your blog and, despite the downs the ups sounds like a blast!
anathema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 13:41   #3

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
We got quotes two years back and settled on US$250 per day per skipper and US$100 for each of two crew - so $450 per day plus expenses. That was for a 3,000 mile circa 30 day venture needing 3 people. No return airfare or travel costs tho'.
FWIW it came out around 90% of shipping as deck freight on a cargo ship - but boat arrived on time and spotless.
Hope this helps.
JOHN
Old 14-10-2009, 14:18   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
If you buy a boat then expect to deliver soon, the costs are not the same. Any boat you just buy used has issues and some are unknown. In figuring the cost to deliver you need to be ready to do some extra stuff. No reasonable captain is going to take on a delivery that easily without knowing the boat is ready. Any reasonable captain might insist on some things before leaving the dock beyond the surveyors report. The longer the trip the more risk they assume. Used boats never come as clean as the survey. I'm not knocking surveyors but they get an afternoon's worth of time and no more.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 15:47   #5

Boat: All kinds of 'em, from 9' dinks to 100+' motoryachts, power or sail...
Send a message via Yahoo to robw_fl
Sounds like you're in the ballpark to me.
Old 14-10-2009, 19:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by anathema View Post
I was waiting for you to post a price actually since you have a very nice specimen for the Pearson 365. Its $20k more than the most expensive one on yachtworld though, puts it a bit out of my league.

Very nice boat though, and a 365 is very near the top of the list for what model I will end up with. I like the Ketch rig and they seem like a good solid bluewater cruiser. A lot of boat for the usual price too.

I hope you sell it quickly! I have followed some of your ups and downs on your blog and, despite the downs the ups sounds like a blast!
-------------------------------------
Anathema, I know the 365's in and out like no one else and I'd be happy to give you any advice. Besides mine, I've been on at least 2 dozen others including cutter rigs. And some I've crawled through extensively. (sometimes with the owners knowledge/consent...sometimes without!)

I can also tell you from experience that in order to outfit that 55k one on yachtworld to standards you'd want to cross oceans or anywhere close to the standards of mine, you'd spend a lot more than 20 grand. Drop me an email through my site and I'd be happy to help.
------------------------------------

Pblais, looks like you gotta a little confused. I'm selling my boat and offering to deliver back to Tonga next year from NZ not looking for a captain to deliver a newly purchased boat.

-----------------------------------
swagman, that helps a lot. Thanks. That's a big delivery you had done. I'm looking at 1200 miles with me and one other or maybe just me alone. Trying to figure out the value of said delivery.
getlostonpurpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 01:27   #7

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
I've done that trip more than once. Typically $2.5k NZ plus two airfares and expenses.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote