Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 20:50   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Social Security & Cruising?

I've been searching the SS sites and can not find anything about being abroad a vessel and collection ones SS payments. I assume it would be best to keep the boat documented in the US and keep a US address. And just have the bank auto deposit option.

We would like to buy a house in the Philippines but we can put that in a family members name so as not to raise suspicion.

We most likely will fly back and forth every six months and do a part time employment thing just for the cruising kitty and PI house expenses.

So any USAians doing the same or similar?

Your Payments While You Are Outside The United States
Old 09-01-2010, 21:43   #2

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Direct Deposit is the easiest thing..

But it looks like they will send your check...as long the country you're staying in is not the no go list...and I didn't see the phillipines on the list, it would seem that you're good to go.
I'm not sure why owning a house in the phillipines would raise suspicians..if you earned the SS, you're entitled to collect it. They just won't mail it to Cuba..for instance.

But if you're flying back and forth every 6 months...I'd definitely do the Direct Deposit, so you don't have to keep changing addresses.
Old 09-01-2010, 21:44   #3

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
My experiences with Social Security while cruising were fairly painless. I started receiving the payments while cruising in the Caribbean.
It was easier for me to keep a US address, for boat documentation, bills, etc. I had a trusted relative assigned as a power of attorney, with Social Security. They contacted Social Security and sent me all documents to be signed. The payments are direct deposited in a Cash Management Account with Merrill Lynch for use via ATM's. IRS fileings were made from my relatives address in Washington State, which has no state income tax.

John
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:55   #4

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
If Social Security payments are your only source of income you should not even have to file a return according to the rules set forth by the IRS. Keep a US address even if only a PO Box in a state without State Income tax to eliminate that hassel. Best is to have a relative that you can use as a permanent address. Direct deposit into an International Bank is good because of the availibility of branches in other Countries. Best is to allow a relative to open SS mail on receipt and call or email you if it's something that needs immediate attention.
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 13:01   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

With bank direct deposit you'll often get your money a week faster than mail, even within the US. And you are reducing costs for the program, which eventually should save every taxpayer a couple of bucks a year, yourself included. (We ALL pay for that postage and envelope, eventually.)

If the bank/etc. hosting your retirement accounts doesn't offer direct deposit, bear in mind that many banks will waive account charges if they know you have this coming in.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 13:03   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
We have our SS direct deposited without any problems with our cruising in & out of the country. IT has been a boon for the cruiser's ability to mange accounts while far away. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 14:29   #7

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
I'd suggest that it's better to continue to file your iIncome Tax returns even if you don't owe anything.for a particular year. When I transfered Tax sheltered funds the financial institution notified the IRS and I received a nice polite letter from the IRS asking about last year. Who needs that while cruising?
The IRS hates to be ignored.

sail safe and have fun!
John
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 14:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
Direct Deposit is the easiest thing..

But it looks like they will send your check...as long the country you're staying in is not the no go list...and I didn't see the phillipines on the list, it would seem that you're good to go.
I'm not sure why owning a house in the phillipines would raise suspicians..if you earned the SS, you're entitled to collect it. They just won't mail it to Cuba..for instance.

But if you're flying back and forth every 6 months...I'd definitely do the Direct Deposit, so you don't have to keep changing addresses.
Once crossing the border from Canada they had a US citizen detained and wouldn't allow him to cross back over. Apparently he owns a house in Canada and had been living there for more then 6 months. I have yet to find any documents why he could not come back. But I didn't get all the details either.
So I'm going to state that I cruising in PI, which I will be, but not mention a house.

With todays internet managing accounts is an easy task. I already have an account in PI (under 10K for you gov. guys) and I transfer funds and have a ATM/debit card.

Thanks all for you replies! It looks as though I can follow through as planned and I'll keep a WA address for tax purposes. I'll document the boat out of here as well.

My wife has three citizenships; Canada, US and PI I wonder which one they will consider if she survives me. Most likely she'll stay in PI after I'm gone (family)?
Old 10-01-2010, 14:41   #9

Boat: Catalina 30
overseas SS check

I know people who live in the south seas and draw their checks. It's
none of the gov's business where you live. I know one family who's
check is delivered to them and they take it to the local bank and dep.
it as they would in the states
Gailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 15:33   #10

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
Hello, I am on SSD and Have read alot and talk with the SSA about Traveling outside the US, if you look on the site it will tell you that you may Travel 90 without it affecting your benifits, another thing it will tell you is that Medicare will not pay any medical outside the US. All info can be found on the SSA site.

What I plan to do is return to the US or US territory every 90 days, as for my medical I am lucky the reason I am on SSD was a work related injury so there is a Medical set aside fund that pays my medical bills and will pay anyplace I go.

Owning property any place in the world has nothing to do with your SSI/SSD all they care about is income not holdings.

Now when I first got the boat they tried to tell me that I could not have a home and boat without some loss of benifits but after they found out I would be living on the boat I have not had any problems at all.

If I was you I would keep some kind of USA address with a bank account here(online) each month transfer your money anyplace you want. It will cut any headachs that could come up. The only proble you could have is time sensitive mail they may send to your USA address.

Hope this Info helped,

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 16:00   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnar View Post
Hello, I am on SSD and Have read alot and talk with the SSA about Traveling outside the US, if you look on the site it will tell you that you may Travel 90 without it affecting your benifits, another thing it will tell you is that Medicare will not pay any medical outside the US. All info can be found on the SSA site.

What I plan to do is return to the US or US territory every 90 days, as for my medical I am lucky the reason I am on SSD was a work related injury so there is a Medical set aside fund that pays my medical bills and will pay anyplace I go.

Owning property any place in the world has nothing to do with your SSI/SSD all they care about is income not holdings.

Now when I first got the boat they tried to tell me that I could not have a home and boat without some loss of benifits but after they found out I would be living on the boat I have not had any problems at all.

If I was you I would keep some kind of USA address with a bank account here(online) each month transfer your money anyplace you want. It will cut any headachs that could come up. The only proble you could have is time sensitive mail they may send to your USA address.

Hope this Info helped,

Dutch
Thanks Dutch!

I'm not too concerned about Medicare. The medical in PI is a lot less. My mother-in-law had a colonoscopy for $7K and the brother-in-law had a hip replacement for $4K and the most advanced set of false teeth go for $1600. And most of the doctors are US trained and kept up-to-date.
It's just hard to get good drugs So I'll bring in a cruising medical kit. Besides, from what I hear, most of the good doctors will not take medicare patients.

When I'm back in the US I'll most likely be working and using the med ins through an employer.

I would think sailing to Guam would qualify but I'd have to stay 30 days. Hummm! I wonder if they pay state taxes in Guam?
Old 10-01-2010, 16:03   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I know one family who's check is delivered to them and they take it to the local bank and dep. it as they would in the states"
I'd expect banks around the world to clear checks about the same way that they do in the States. Local ones clear fast, but international ones may take a week to become available as funds. Using direct deposit and a bank that spans both places, you get the funds available as soon as they have been deposited. That's probably a full week's difference, from the US to anyplace overseas.

Delmarrey-
"It's just hard to get good drugs So I'll bring in a cruising medical kit." Remember that if you have a documented vessel, there are also pharmacies that will sell to you direct, without an Rx. Although that probbaly means buying from a US source, which may make the cost unreasonable again. Maybe there are similar dispensing terms in other countries?
Old 10-01-2010, 18:50   #13
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Once crossing the border from Canada they had a US citizen detained and wouldn't allow him to cross back over. Apparently he owns a house in Canada and had been living there for more then 6 months."
It could be very very simple. A US citizen, in Canada on a tourist visa, has to get back OUT of Canada before 6 months are up. At least, that's what it used to be. Stick around and overstay the visa...these days, that's grounds for detention and questioning. The house wouldn't matter, it would just be a simple "Sir, you overstayed your visa and broke the law" deal.
Old 10-01-2010, 19:44   #14

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
I love this site so much I have learn something from this post that really made me feel good.

My wife and I planned to head down to Mexico to have dental work done because of the cost here in the states. The other thing is I did not know about being able to buy the drugs direct, this may not help me much but it will help on my wifes meds if I can buy direct out of Canada. I can even get a Rx if they like.

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:15   #15
CLOD

Boat: none
I don't see any problem with getting direct deposit.

But I get the impression that a couple of the replies are saying you have to return to the US every so offen. Is this true that you have to return to the US evry X months to continue to recieve your social security?
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote