Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2012, 15:55   #1

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
Marina or hook/sailing . . . which is cheaper?

Stay in a Marina and pay the associated fees for docking.

BUT, staying in a marina always involves a lot more than just docking.

Trips to the stores, sightseeing, the bars(and costly drinks/meals), eating breakfast(at an eatery) . . . whatever.

Stay forever sailing and on the hook.

You might not go to stores everyday, but you'll go . . . and chances are, when you do, you'll probably make up for the times you didn't go.

A moving boat will probably suffer more wear/damage. So . . .

I'm curious if anyone has any real thoughts on which is cheaper, or, after all is said and done, does it even matter . . . costwise?
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 18:34   #2

Re: Marina or hook/sailing . . . which is cheaper?

I'd say mooring or anchoring will always be cheaper. But, being at a dock does have a convience factor. Electricity, water and easy on and easy off. But, you pay for that too.
But, to me there is an aggravation factor one has to put up with too. For example when your dock neighbor wants to find out why his diesel engine is smoking and fires it up for an hour blowing smoke into your boats cockpit and cabin. Then you also need to have broad musical tastes as the music you hear may not always be coming from your stereo. You have not lived until you've heard ten years olds get hold of a Karaoke machine.
Personally, I like being at anchor or on a mooring as the boat always swings into a breeze and I never need air conditioning. I also like being able to jump over the side and go for a swim. Something I would never do in a marina for safety reason.
For me the restaurant with the best view is right in my cockpit and since I like to cook going to a restaurant on land has less appeal to me. I've got a galley on board and I know how to use it.
When storms come boats at docks seem to suffer more damage than ones riding out at anchor or on a mooring from what I can see. My vote is for a mooring or anchoring most of the time.
Old 18-07-2012, 19:19   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We have mostly used marinas for big repairs and such! We try to stay away from them as much as we can and prefer anchoring much more then mooring balls ! altho we use them at times we want to be ashore more then normaly( food shoping, site seening ECT) We got tyed down to a marina when the girls were in High School, and that was one of the few times I hated my sailing life LOL just my 2 cents and repairs are repairs ya just do em!! no matter where ya are !!
Old 18-07-2012, 19:23   #4

Boat: Endeavour 35

Good advice! There are many things to consider. Marinas will ALWAYS cost more, but are you in need of the services? We will always anchor if it is do-able, but it may be smarter to take a slip at the right price and take advantage of the services. To plan a cruise or lifestyle banking on marinas will cost a bunch, but if you choose a mix that fits you...that's what we do...
Old 18-07-2012, 19:27   #5

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

what is the price of convenience?
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 19:56   #6

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

If the question is only about cost, this is a no-brainer -- anchor or mooring is ALWAYS cheaper.

All depends on what you want and what you need...

Want to let the hot water run endlessly in the shower, or need to charge batteries on the grid? Rainy day and want to grab a cab or walk to shopping/restaurants? Need service or want to wash the boat with a hose? Marina

Want to have solitude, peace and quiet? Want a picturesque view? Want to have the hatches always open to windward? Want to save money? Anchor or mooring.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 20:07   #7

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I sailed from Turkey to Trinidad and did not stay in a Marina a single night. That saved us a bunch of money for sure. In Europe it would have been easy to spend a hundred dollars a night in some marinas just on berthing the yacht.

When I am cruising, I like anchoring out.

When I am living on board but not cruising, then living at a marina works for me. Staying at a dock was cheap in Malaysia and Turkey, but many other destinations cost an arm and a leg.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 20:39   #8

Marinas useful for security if leaving the boat unattended for an extended period in low-security areas. Not useful for much else. Any major repair can be done at anchor as well as a berth unless many trades people are required.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 10:40   #9

What's the deal with freehold marina berths? Is it possible to find one without fees? I've even seen moorings for sale, how does ownership on that work??
jago25_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 10:52   #10

Which is cheaper, anchoring or docking at a marina?? You can't possibly be serious! You even went so far as to tell us why there are even more costs associated with docking than the dock fee, stores, etc and you STILL ask???

I'm confused..

Bet you no one says marinas are cheaper/...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 12:16   #11

Boat: Union Polaris 36

If you plan on staying in an unsafe area and have stuff that can be stolen, marina. You get an outboard stolen and that is a years worth of moorage fees at marinas in less safe areas. If you are in a safe area, staying on the hook is by far cheaper. Marina's are just an easier place to do work and fill water tanks, hook up to electricity.

It totally depends on where you are, and the cost for the security is sometimes worth it in less safe areas.

Life's a dream, live it!
youmeandthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 06:23   #12

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

Let's see . . .

I am in a marina and pay about 2k per year for basically . . . a floating condo.

I rarely eat out, use no fuel and all my utilities are payed.

SO, aside from improvements I'm making to my boat(for sailing), my costs of staying on the boat is about 2k per year plus food(about $150), plus sundries.

Quite cheap . . .

I could stay on the boat in winter, on the hard, or stay on the boat in winter(bubbles). The bubbling(staying in water would probably be another $1000 over the winter dry storage, which would result in about 3k per year, plus food, plus sundries.

Quite cheap . . .

Staying in dock results in little maintenance and I still sail a lot(on other boats).

Quite cheap . . .

Sailing(my boat) on weekends would still be cheap unless I hit a reef, run into a channel wall, hit another boat or spend a lot of time visiting the local islands(and a lot of bars). I know these waters and the chance of accidents(and repair costs) are probably lower than if I was forver sailing in more unknown waters.

Since I have no interest in the islands(per se), and I don't think much of bars . . . Quite cheap . . .

The situation I have(and expected that others TOO, might have, is that living on the boat can be quite cheap in a marina . . . if one want's it to be.

Now, I get into the question of going on the hook and saving ALL of the marina costs of $2k-$3k per year.

But will the continued use of the boat, result in more maintenance and will the cost of provisioning become more complicated and costlier?

How about the dinghy(which I don't need in the marina or for day-sailing?

I think of these things and wonder is the initial idea that marina life is so absolutely more costlier . . . is actually as absolute.

I agree that it "probably" is, but I'm not so absolutely sure.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 07:05   #13

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I much prefer anchoring at isolated anchorages to crowded marinas. As you said, it's not just the slip fee, but if I'm at the dock, I'm much more likely to have a meal out, etc.

In addition to the cost savings, I also prefer to be able to just jump off the boat for a swim, having wind funneled through the boat and much prefer a quiet anchorage to a noisy port.

On my last 3-month cruise, the only time I pulled up to a dock was to fuel up, and that's how I prefer it.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 07:12   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

while at anchor i am able to save 600 dollars per month. in the marina , i pay out that. but in a marina i am able to effect BIG repairs i have difficulty doing in a rolly anchorage, and effect woodworking jobs i need to have done that cannot be done in anchoring conditions... also i can has air conditioning for my cat and meself. whew-- makes humidity a lot more tolerable......in high season i anchor and low season i use marina and effect repairs
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 19:06   #15

Boat: Endeavour 35

Are you intending to cruise (move about and travel, see different places meet new people) or live a board (floating condo) at a marina? If you plan to cruise, you will Not find marinas at $2000 per year!!! Cruisers anchor first, then moor, and marinas last...or your kitty will die real fast!
A slip on the go will be cost about the same as a motel room. If your kitty can take that then you should get a bigger boat. I will be the guy at the anchorage, stop in and say hi.