Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2011, 21:18   #16

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Re: I Want to Learn From Your Experience

Good first post. A lot of them say, "I have no sailing experience whatsoever. I once framed my uncles barn, so can I build a wooden schooner from scratch, I would either like to live on your boat in return for my amazing boat maintenance skills or buy a Blue Water Cruising boat for $10 and a lolly pop." In short you seem like a sensible fellow with the right things in mind.

Might I then make this suggestion? Buy a $2000 boat that is already on Smith Lake and sail it for a few weekends. You already know that you can "rough it" in an RV but do you love sailing? More importantly, do you love cruising? A $2000 boat can be bought and sold relatively easily. Consider it a pre-down payment/experiment on your blue water boat.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 06:05   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

One additional observation about the good looking installation - observe that each wire or pipe/hoe "run" is supported with rubber lined clamps as close intervals. This is very important in a boat where the motion and flexing of the boat while underway would cause improperly supported pipes, hoses and wires to flop or flex and eventually fail.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 12:38   #18

Boat: looking

Thank you'll so much! that is just the stuff I'm looking for.
phillims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 13:09   #19

Extremely good idea for the starter boat. +1
It sounds to me like you are going to love it.
Your first year out, sometime about 2 months after you've left, you'll feel a little guilty being on cruiser time (island time), and I hope you remember your post here with a smile.
spostamento nobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 16:45   #20

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
And you can skip the accumulator tank if you use a Variable Speed Demand potable water pump.
- - But on a small vessel (budget cruiser) why bother with electric pumps and stuff. Install foot diaphragm pump(s) at the sink(s) and avoid all that wiring and plumbing problems. Not to mention potable water loss if a spigot or valve leaks.
+1 on this. I have a pressurized system but almost always use the manual sink pump. Water usage is less and, to stress what Osiris referred to: You can easily lose ALL your water should a pressurized system leak into the bilge. I have an elastic wrist band that hangs on the pump switch. ANYONE turning on the pressurized system has to don the band to remind them to turn off the water system when done. The only time you might need the pump while cruising is to take a shower, a rare occurrence.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 17:50   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Phill...

I also think that you seem to be approaching this very rationally, and agree that you shouldn't have too many worries in the long run.

I'm a great believer in starting fairly small for learning... both to sail and to understand some of the systems that make up a sailboat. Many of the questions that you have now expressed will answer themselves in a few months of practical experience. Once you have your own boat you will meet and hang about with other yotties, and these interactions will add greatly to your knowledge base. We're a friendly lot in general, and most are happy to share our thoughts with newbies. The CF is a good starting point, but face to face conversations are even better for exploring the many facets of seamanship, boat maintenance and so on.

Oh by the way -- We've had about all the available types of freshwater systems over the years. On Insatiable II, likely our final cruising boat, we have pressure water for the shower only. All the rest of the fixtures are "powered" by foot pumps. This arrangement is by choice.

Enjoy your addiction when it blooms... it's a great life!

Meanwhile, fly safe

Cheers,

Jim
Old 22-08-2011, 07:20   #22

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
That sure is a pretty install.
I second that!
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 12:16   #23

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Talking Re: I Want to Learn From Your Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Yawl Later View Post
Welcome Phil

It does look like you would be comfortable on a boat.. a good fit given the data you provided.

For the money your talking about it will be a Monohull that might even still float..... I live in Kemah, there are plenty hurricane damaged boats along the Gulf Coast that are big enough to do what you want.

I'd say look at tonnage and design. There are lots of thin hulled coastal cruisers available in that length, that's not what you want if your eventually striking out for the wild blue. I'd like to see you in a 34 to 38'er.

I know where there is a peach of a boat for sale (a buddy of mine) s/v Kaleo » Kaleo Is For Sale it's more than twice what you quoted, but it's ready to go and quite nice inside and out. She's in Annapolis. I sailed beside her many months in the Bahamas this year, she's tried and true with fresh upgrades.

When you buy a boat and stretch her legs for the first time you find out the weak spots, Kaleo's got the kinks all worked out, shes truly ready to go.

Good luck, the boat you want is out there.... but I recommend buying one that still has her a mast... lol. If your budget is set where you say, don't be thwarted in your search though, there IS that option.

SYL
I just put a deposit on S/V Kaleo! Beauty!
Old 23-10-2011, 04:11   #24

Boat: Oyster 53

Phil,
We've all been where you are right now. I remember going down to marinas, walking the docks and not being able to tell one boat from another and being so frustrated! My father is a lifelong pilot and got me started in sailing. There are a ton of similarities between flying and sailing, so I think you will pick it up pretty fast. I'm not a pilot but I've done my fair share of flying in his Cessna and I can tell you the main difference between aviation and sailing is in aviation if you make a mistake you are dead in seconds but in sailing you have hours to think about it!
The post about Beth Leonard's book is a good one but might be a bit ahead of where you are starting right now. I would also suggest you pick up John Vigor's "The Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat." He is extremely knowledgeable and never takes himself too seriously. Also, Don Casey's "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" will help you look at boats with a professional eye.
I also strongly recommend you spend serious time on yachtworld: if it isn't listed on Yachtworld it probably isn't for sale. All brokerages list their boats on this site from around the world. Set different parameters and see what kind of boats come up. Look carefully at the specs and age of the boat and then the price. After 6 months or so, you will be able to pull a boat up you are interested in and guess the price within 10% or so. Then you will be ready to enter the market.
Best of luck. We look forward to hearing good news from you.
Dhillen
Old 23-10-2011, 04:40   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
You don't need much more than the two black objects in the middle of the photo. (Tank and gauge to the right are for the air horn and the objects to the left are for a fuel polishing system.)

Very nice indeed...
James S is offline   Reply With Quote