Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2013, 08:46   #76

Re: How to Calculate an Offer Price

It's been my experience that asking price is just what the seller thinks something is worth, and may or may not be grounded in any independent reality.

Dont' be afraid to hurt someone's feelings when making an offer. If they don't like the offer, they can reject it or counter offer. If they are getting their feelings hurt, they are probably emotionally involved with the boat and that's probably how the price got set in the first place.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 09:01   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVI View Post
I am of the same opinion. The buyer will only get 90% of your low offer. SO it is you who are paying the broker (whether it is Seller's or Buyer's broker).
Let's imagine there is no broker? Then the Seller will be prepared to agree to your lower offer (as he get's 100% of that).

How to eliminate the broker? Easy. If you know the name of the boat, you can search on the online registration database, and then call or facebook the owner. Best case you will get the same boat for 10% less (and the Seller will sell the boat). Worst case - both of you will split and get 5% each. That's a lot of upgrades

IMHO broker adds nothing to the transaction (besides listing the boat and keeping the Seller contact details secret). Some are located in different town and will not show up to show the boat. Does that service cost 10%?

All is my IMHO. If you decide to pay extra 10% to the broker - your choice.

Tortious interference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 11:04   #78

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

My buyers broker has gone way beyond helping us find and negotiate the boat price. Especially after the sale... he has gone down and double checked the lines when I am not able to, he has checked the bilge after major rain storms, found us cheaper prices on things we need, suggested alternatives to upgrades we have considered, found us a better place to haul out, etc.

He even offered for he and his son to come down and help my wife and I take down and stow the sails... something we have only done on our old (much smaller) boat.

So, if you consider only the sale price of the boat and its function on commissions AND you have been down the purchase road before, you may not get much out of a buyers broker.

However, having someone light the way before us and provide after-sale support has been wonderful.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offer, price