Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 20:35   #16

Boat: FP Athena 38 - Breakaway
ok, maybe slightly off topic, but i find myself in the same place as the OP. I am not looking to buy my 30+ft cat for another 2-5 years. Is it beneficial to still get out and sail 25-35 ft monohulls over the next 2-5 years? How much can I be on the water in SF bay and still learn something year after a year? I plan do do all th ASA certs as the OP, but when is it the right time to say "enough with the small boats, I need experiance on the bigger (relative) boat I plan to buy and sail for many years around the globe???"

Brian
mtnsapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:23   #17

Boat: Edel 665 23' - Reckless
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnsapo View Post
ok, maybe slightly off topic, but i find myself in the same place as the OP. I am not looking to buy my 30+ft cat for another 2-5 years. Is it beneficial to still get out and sail 25-35 ft monohulls over the next 2-5 years? How much can I be on the water in SF bay and still learn something year after a year? I plan do do all th ASA certs as the OP, but when is it the right time to say "enough with the small boats, I need experiance on the bigger (relative) boat I plan to buy and sail for many years around the globe???"

Brian
Any water time is beneficial, the basics of sailing on a smaller boat translate to larger boats, the physics and principles are the same just on a larger scale.

We aren't planning on getting out "big" boat for another 4-5 years. But we have enjoyed sailing on our smaller 22. We have learned so much about boat systems, rules of the road, wind and weather.

I learn something everytime I am out on the boat, trimming the sails a little better each time I am out, getting that extra out of the boat.

Learned how to rudder push my boat when my engine failed. Stressful situations happen and we learn to deal with these situations. We have practiced man overboard drills etc.

We have know people who have just jumped in and went from no boat to a 45 foot, we know others that have started in little 15 foot lasers, moved to a 22, then to a 29, then to a 38 and now a 52. Took them 40 years to make the transitions.

When the time is right for your needs is when the time is right to move to a bigger boat. Our plan is based both on financial reasons, my current lifestyle and location. We work alot, and don't get to sail as much as I want, so why have a huge boat when I just get out day sailing. Due to many shallow areas near where we sail the larger boats just aren't as practical, when we have seasonal low water levels the big boys get stuck in the marina and are unable to go out.
Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:13   #18

Boat: It will be an Island Packet 38 most probably
We are thinking about getting ourselfs a Hobie Getaway catamaran which is 16' long for next year. We have to start somewhere. I just bought tickets for Hubby and myself to go to the Annapolis US sailboat show next October and do the Take the Wheel workshop. Once there, we also will look at different cats available and at the Hobie Cats. This is going to be a very nice and educationnal trip!!

When I'll have my Hobie Cat, how do I accumulate my practice hours?

Missou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 13:19   #19

Boat: FP Athena 38 - Breakaway
reckless, thanks for your thoughts!

Brian
mtnsapo is offline   Reply With Quote