Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2009, 16:52   #76
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
I think it is totally selfish to not have liability insurance on your boat. If your rode breaks and you crash into me and do major damage to my boat, you are likely going to be a total jerk and tell me 'too bad'. I'd want to take a baseball bat to your head for being a total jerk like that.

What if you sink and leave an oil slick behind? Again you will likely become a total jerk and just walk away leaving your mess for others to clean up. That should call for jail time where the inmates can have at you for being a total jerk.

Be responsible and get liability insurance. Unless you have few milluion stashed away to take care of unexpected liabilities.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 16:55   #77

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Credit rating has been in affect around here for a few years...same goes with home or auto ins.... I expect mine will go up...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 16:58   #78

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
I think it is totally selfish to not have liability insurance on your boat. If your rode breaks and you crash into me and do major damage to my boat, you are likely going to be a total jerk and tell me 'too bad'.
I agree. It's just not that expensive, and I think it's irresponsible. "Too bad" aint gonna cut it though...you can press to have a summons written, and call a lawyer if necessary. Dont let them EVER offer to "fix it themselves...", as this is an invitation to disaster!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 17:19   #79
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
I agree. It's just not that expensive, and I think it's irresponsible. "Too bad" aint gonna cut it though...you can press to have a summons written, and call a lawyer if necessary. Dont let them EVER offer to "fix it themselves...", as this is an invitation to disaster!
I respectfully differ, my insurance is very expensive, and i considered going with out this past year due to the possability of the insurance co. going bankrupt and the cost is up there, but i paid it and there still in biz.
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 23:46   #80

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Ram you are commercial though not a fair comparison...I pay less then 100 per month for 2 mil Liability and full coverage for 100k...I realize your boat is worth 3 times that but the OP's I don't think is.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 03:55   #81
Marine Service Provider

Lets be clear; we're talking about 2 versions of boat insurance.

One is full coverage with replacement costs for the insured boat. Rather expensive.
Second is liability only to cover damage to other property by your boat. Very inexpensive.

Anyone without the minimum of liability insurance is a complete jerk, unless they are loaded with cash to pay any damages they cause.
Old 16-12-2009, 04:52   #82

Boat: 1995 hunter 430
I think we all agree that insurance should
be included in you budget in 2009

no matter what your rate will be, it will take a chunk out of your 500 dollar per month budget.

I am sure there are people out there living on a boat at 500 dollars per month, and thats great. I would try it but I think I would fail.
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 04:55   #83

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
Thread Input

Thanks for the overall input, definetly different categories of cruisers re luxury (necessity to some) to Spartan (includes fishing,snorkeling etc) so budgets vary greatly. Ultimately it depends on what you can afford and if this pulls you out of your "normal"comfort zone.
Re insurance we spent 7 years in the Caribbean,6 hurricanes, damage in 3. From 1995-2002.We ran South to Tobago/Grenada twice, both those years no hurricanes hit St Maarten. We eventually insured the boat after the 2nd damage refix.Sure enough another hurricane ,we were ripped off a hurricane mooring by a 200 ton work boat, who on dragging anchor and motoring around thought a 33ft yacht was as good as any to tie onto . We were not aboard as in other hurricanes.Rocket was eventually ripped loose with the extra weight, the unmanageable local workboat then cut herself loose but smashed into the boat moored behind and sunk this yacht.We found Rocket the next day acoss the lagoon in shallow water,scratched ,broken rudder etc. Insuance claim $27000. BUT the insurance company, British, turned out to be a scam. 14 other boat claims were involved, all lost out. We all received a policy with Lloyds approval but the "insuring brokers" kept everyones money, never paying the policies off within 90 days,so Lloyds said they were invalid. No-one would have been any the wiser if ther were no claims that year. So much for insurance .
Old 16-12-2009, 05:06   #84
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
Thanks for the overall input, definetly different categories of cruisers re luxury (necessity to some) to Spartan (includes fishing,snorkeling etc) so budgets vary greatly. Ultimately it depends on what you can afford and if this pulls you out of your "normal"comfort zone.
Re insurance we spent 7 years in the Caribbean,6 hurricanes, damage in 3. From 1995-2002.We ran South to Tobago/Grenada twice, both those years no hurricanes hit St Maarten. We eventually insured the boat after the 2nd damage refix.Sure enough another hurricane ,we were ripped off a hurricane mooring by a 200 ton work boat, who on dragging anchor and motoring around thought a 33ft yacht was as good as any to tie onto . We were not aboard as in other hurricanes.Rocket was eventually ripped loose with the extra weight, the unmanageable local workboat then cut herself loose but smashed into the boat moored behind and sunk this yacht.We found Rocket the next day acoss the lagoon in shallow water,scratched ,broken rudder etc. Insuance claim $27000. BUT the insurance company, British, turned out to be a scam. 14 other boat claims were involved, all lost out. We all received a policy with Lloyds approval but the "insuring brokers" kept everyones money, never paying the policies off within 90 days,so Lloyds said they were invalid. No-one would have been any the wiser if ther were no claims that year. So much for insurance .
So how do we know if we are really insured?
Old 16-12-2009, 05:09   #85

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
So how do we know if we are really insured?
Best bet is probably to use a well known and well established insurance company.

/Hampus
Old 16-12-2009, 05:18   #86
Marine Service Provider

springbok

care to name names?
Old 16-12-2009, 05:25   #87

Boat: 32' Bob Baker/Joel White Cutter (One-off wood)
Too great books to read about frugal cruising (if you haven't already):

Voyaging on a Small Income by Annie Hill
The Cost Conscious Cruiser by Larry & Lin Pardey
marujo.sortudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 05:29   #88
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampus View Post
Best bet is probably to use a well known and well established insurance company.

/Hampus
One that is Lloyds approved ?
Old 16-12-2009, 05:30   #89

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
Insurance Claim

The "British" insurance broker had a representative on St Maarten, an honest Frenchman, who when the 14 claims came in really did his best to aid us all, he was conned as well and lost his house and family (divorce) because of the con.When you receive papers from Lloyds of London acknowledging your policy one assumes all is above board.There was no indication that the broker still had to pay the premium, we are not told of the 90 day clause by broker or Lloyds. This clause was only put forward by Lloyds when claims were made. We got a French lawyer to represent all the boats involved but Lloyds were not held responsible for this "rouge broker" even though he was registered with them Welcome to the REAL WORLD.
Old 16-12-2009, 06:06   #90
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
The "British" insurance broker had a representative on St Maarten, an honest Frenchman, who when the 14 claims came in really did his best to aid us all, he was conned as well and lost his house and family (divorce) because of the con.When you receive papers from Lloyds of London acknowledging your policy one assumes all is above board.There was no indication that the broker still had to pay the premium, we are not told of the 90 day clause by broker or Lloyds. This clause was only put forward by Lloyds when claims were made. We got a French lawyer to represent all the boats involved but Lloyds were not held responsible for this "rouge broker" even though he was registered with them Welcome to the REAL WORLD.
So with that said how do we protect ourselfs, there must be a way to know if we are really covered??