Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2016, 08:23   #121
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Cruisers Wrist Watch Recommendations

yipes so many still with the umbilical to the time piece.. wow . my battery operated kitchen clock is still ticking away--when i remember to replace the dead battery, about each time i need for passages or wtf... ha ha ha wtf being incoming alleged repair assistants. i dont find much use for a timepiece out here-- why bother with a watch when 5 mins is a couple of weeks. there are so much better methods of telling time without the burden of a watch to hamper work or get caught in machinery or rigging in an emergency. oh well, at least you will know what time it was when you died or lost your arm from wrist down. .. didnt think about that, did ye????
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 08:51   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman375 View Post
I feel your pain. My old eyes can't read a digital very well. I always have a black dial with large white hands, so I can at least tell the time. You said you wanted a barometer though and digital is the only option. I suggest going to look at some to make sure you can read easily.
I can well empathize with all of us in the same 'boat"!

In 2002 I purchased an Omega Seamaster Professional new for about $800.00 clams. I have never had one drop of trouble with it, and it's been dropped and seriously banged around. Its been swimming in the North and South Atlantic, and Pacific. Every two years I change the battery. Every year I soak the stainless band in vinegar to remove the body oils. It has kept better time than the Rolex I had, and unfortunately paid a lot more money for than the Omega and, the Rolex was constantly in the shop.

Gotta say, Omega makes one fantastic watch. YMMV
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 09:08   #123

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

I've had 3 Omegas and each one has been back to Switzerland at least once for issues with time keeping. The Speedmaster "moon" watch was by far the worst.... Good news is, they all appreciated and were sold for more than I paid new.

Crabcake, your Omega works well because it is a quartz model. The automatics and manual are where the issues are, but they are much more collectible. Also, since no work goes into making a quartz movement, they are half that of the other models.

If you want to tell accurate time, get quartz.

Matt

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 20-09-2016, 09:16   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
I've had 3 Omegas and each one has been back to Switzerland at least once for issues with time keeping. The Speedmaster "moon" watch was by far the worst.... Good news is, they all appreciated and were sold for more than I paid new.

Crabcake, your Omega works well because it is a quartz model. The automatics and manual are where the issues are, but they are much more collectible. Also, since no work goes into making a quartz movement, they are half that of the other models.

If you want to tell accurate time, get quartz.

Matt

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FB Matt!

I'm lazy, and that's why I bought the quartz after the Rolex self winder always being busticated.

I can see where the chrono's can be problems.

And, the Seamaster Axials and Chrono's are going for $3K. No for me! I'm as happy as a clam in it's shell with my quartz. Its takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin' !!!
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 09:18   #125

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
yipes so many still with the umbilical to the time piece.. wow . my battery operated kitchen clock is still ticking away--when i remember to replace the dead battery, about each time i need for passages or wtf... ha ha ha wtf being incoming alleged repair assistants. i dont find much use for a timepiece out here-- why bother with a watch when 5 mins is a couple of weeks. there are so much better methods of telling time without the burden of a watch to hamper work or get caught in machinery or rigging in an emergency. oh well, at least you will know what time it was when you died or lost your arm from wrist down. .. didnt think about that, did ye????
OP is asking for advise on what models or features he should be looking for on a new watch. Who cares what your opinion is on wearing one or not it doesn't answer the OPs question. I like watches. I like wearing a watch. Yes, a cheap $20 watch keep the same time a $2000 watch does however, I like my expensive watches and probably won't change. In fact I feel somewhat naked without a watch on.

To answer the OPs question I would recommend a good mechanical watch that he can use everyday in all conditions and doesn't require batteries.

Look at the Hamilton watches. Well made, durable, waterproof, good looking and well priced.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 09:45   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
Really haven't answered OP's question and who cares if you wear a watch or not. This post could be considered useless.
pot? kettle? or? same same.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 09:46   #127
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
OP is asking for advise on what models or features he should be looking for on a new watch. Who cares what your opinion is on wearing one or not it doesn't answer the OPs question. I like watches. I like wearing a watch. Yes, a cheap $20 watch keep the same time a $2000 watch does however, I like my expensive watches and probably won't change. In fact I feel somewhat naked without a watch on.

To answer the OPs question I would recommend a good mechanical watch that he can use everyday in all conditions and doesn't require batteries.

Look at the Hamilton watches. Well made, durable, waterproof, good looking and well priced.
h aha ha like yours??
get tag heuer. nothing else matters in life h aha ha ha ha ah a

apparently you didnot read my answer- battery operated wall clock is not a non answer--
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 09:54   #128

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

BTW. We received Spinnaker brand watches and really like them. Very water resistant, Stainless steel, and rubber straps make them a great sailor watch.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_8vj79yzngp_e

http://www.spinnaker-watches.com/

Matt
Old 20-09-2016, 11:35   #129
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I normally don't wear watches, but recently I got a Pebble Time as a repeater for GPS data and have really been enjoying it. It does all the same stuff as a Fitbit, plus adds all the notifications from your phone and can interface with a Bluetooth GPS to give you distance and course to a waypoint.

It certainly isn't a $800 piece of art, but as a functional item it works very well.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 11:56   #130

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I'm good when it comes to weather, enough so that folks hunt me down for predicitions & to teach it. And having a barograph on your wrist is really nice in this regard. Plus there are lots of things shipboard which are best done with a watch. From calling race starts, to recording the length of nav aid beacons & horns, alarms for timing food or a nap, doing old school nav. including celestial, and half a dozen other things. While you can do a lot of things with a clock, few of them replace the versatility of a modern watch.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 12:18   #131

Boat: Kadey-Krogen 38 Cutter

I have an Oceanus (fancy Casio). Waterproof, solar power so no battery changes or gasket issues when you change the battery, stop watch, tide indicator, and receiver for world time. The receiver listens for WWV radio every night and adjusts the time if needed. Receives US, UK, Germany, and Japan signals.

No problems in 6 years. Works for me.
sailstax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 12:23   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I normally don't wear watches, but recently I got a Pebble Time as a repeater for GPS data and have really been enjoying it. It does all the same stuff as a Fitbit, plus adds all the notifications from your phone and can interface with a Bluetooth GPS to give you distance and course to a waypoint.

It certainly isn't a $800 piece of art, but as a functional item it works very well.
Those are interesting devices. Are they water proof or resistant? How has your's been for durability aboard?
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 09:35   #133

Boat: Artella 22

mine:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1474475712.327010.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	131512
Bjorn_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 12:54   #134
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Those are interesting devices. Are they water proof or resistant? How has your's been for durability aboard?
I have only had mine for about two weeks, so I can't really speak to its durability. But it's waterproof to 5atm, or about 150'. I doubt I will take it diving, but it has already been thru a few showers, a hot tub, and one nasty crash on board where I pitch poled and took a swim.

The major downside is the battery only lasts about a week between recharges (any USB outlet will work). And the stock band is a crappy silicone that made my wrist sweat, so I changed it out for a $3 nylon NATO band (22mm pins).

So far I have been amazed at how well it has worked for me. But a lot of the function is driven by apps that require a connection to an iPhone/android device. So if you aren't connected to the Internet it would have limited sensor capability. As an example, my 'watch face' displays barametric preassure, humidity, visibility, wind speed/direction, temp, and cloud cover. But none of that is pulled directly from sensors, it connects to NOAA and downloads the data from their weather station near the yacht club.

There is an app that can pull from a NMEA2K backbone, but I haven't tried it out yet so I can't speak to its functionality. But the reports are good. Basically if the backbone has a piece of date it can push it to your watch.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote