Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2019, 21:01   #1

Boat: 1976 Alajuela 38 MK I
Bypassing a broker to get answers

Hi,

I am currently shopping for used new to me boat. Recently the Allied Seawind MKII has peaked my interest. However opinions about the Seawind are not the purpose of this post.

Background:
Maybe a month ago I saw a Seawind on Yachtworld that interested me so emailed the broker some questions answered. I didn’t hear for the broker so about a week later I emailed him again. The next day I got a response stating he was waiting to back for the owner. “Fine. No problem,” I thought. As of today, I still haven’t heard back for the broker.

However in the intervening week between the two emails I saw a listing for the same boat on sailboatlistings.com dated from last fall for less than the Yachtworld listing. I figured the owners tried to sell the boat themselves eventually gave up and listed it with a broker. This all occurred about 3 to 4 weeks ago.

I few days ago I noticed the same boat listed again on sailboatlistings.com but this time by the broker I had contacted previously through Yachtworld. This ad was dated after I had contacted the broker. The broker has the boat listed on many different sites to obviously cast as wide a net as possible.

Question:
Is it ok to attempt to contact the owners through the contact info found in the old sailboatlistings.com ad?

I am not trying to bypass the broker. I just want some questions answered so I can figure out if this a boat worth a pursuing. To look at it would require me to travel out of state and could conceivably combine this boat into a trip to look at multiple boats in Florida in single trip.

Thanks.
gallatin1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 21:07   #2

Boat: Bavaria 35E
Re: Bypassing a broker to get answers

I'm a broker. And, I'd say that if you haven't gotten a response from the broker in question, then yes - go ahead and contact the owners directly. You'll probably get better answers anyway. Most brokers will take notes on a boat with one ear only. So you'll get the info you want from the horses mouth. As far as circumventing the broker - it depends on the contract. We are in the minority that allows an owner to sell directly without paying a commission and the commission due us is only if I provide the buyer. This could be different in this owners case. But here it's possibly a case of "snooze you lose." A broker should be responsive to inquiries.
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 21:42   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

If you do so, make sure to let the owner know the reason you're doing so. But diplomatically, don't make an enemy of their broker.

Whether **they** choose to / are able to financially bypass the broker has nothing to do with you, leave that bit completely up to them.

Make sure to do your best to establish your bona fides as not a tire kicker, not a flake, ready with cash on hand to put down a deposit as soon as appropriate.

The reason owners use brokers is to avoid hassles, so I'd say the initial goal should be not just to gather info but get the owner to put a bee in the broker's bonnet and earn their commission.

Consider engaging a buyer's broker yourself, doesn't cost you anything, but would need to quickly, best in place before your approach, or even let them guide the way?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 23:38   #4

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

You can do whatever you like — you have no contract with the broker. It’s up to them to be on the ball. On the other hand, they know that people who send them a bunch of questions aren’t likely to buy a boat. They are spending their time on the people who make appointments to view boats in person.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 08:40   #5

Boat: Lagoon 400

You are free to contact whoever you want. You have no legal obligation towards the broker, only the seller does.
He may have exclusive or non-exclusive contract with the broker. If the seller refers you back to the broker, tell him that it would be beneficial for him (i.e. the seller) if the broker is more responsive.
Old 23-06-2019, 08:42   #6

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
You can do whatever you like — you have no contract with the broker. It’s up to them to be on the ball. On the other hand, they know that people who send them a bunch of questions aren’t likely to buy a boat. They are spending their time on the people who make appointments to view boats in person.
But....Why would you spend time and money travelling to visit a boat before getting your inquiries answered? You may get there and immediately discover that you do not want this particular boat.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 08:47   #7

Boat: 1976 Alajuela 38 MK I

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
But....Why would you spend time and money travelling to visit a boat before getting your inquiries answered? You may get there and immediately discover that you do not want this particular boat.
This is the exact situation I'm trying to avoid
gallatin1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 08:52   #8

Boat: American Tug

I'm a broker in Florida. Some brokers are unresponsive even if other brokers are trying to get information. When I try to be compassionate I think that we all can get busy, or have issues no one knows about. But business is business and a broker has a responsibility to the seller he or she represents to get a potential buyer whatever information is needed.

Meanwhile, I agree with those who have posted saying there is no problem contacting the seller directly if you can. And as to why you are calling ... honesty is always the best.
dochip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 08:54   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallatin1988 View Post
This is the exact situation I'm trying to avoid
Old 23-06-2019, 10:15   #10

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Took me 2.5 months to buy my current boat. Initially contacted sellers broker via ad, had a pleasant conversation with him and asked for more photos of specific areas. I was familiar with the boat model already, had cash and used to help clients buy multimillion dollar yachts and know how to inspect vessels. He said he'd get back to me in 2 days. Never heard from him again no matter how many messages I left.

In helping a friend buy a sister ship I looked at his broker who was professional, responsive and honest and asked him if he wanted 1/2 a deal? Told him what had been done so far etc. and agreed to represent me as my broker. He also couldn't get the guy to return calls or provide info. Amazed me because brokers are commission only salespeople in this instance. Why wouldn't you return a call? Long story short I finally got a time to view the vessel. After inspections I made a cash offer. 6 weeks later it was finally accepted. Go figure. The owner and the broker were a PITA to deal with.

Contact the owners directly and get your own broker. Mine did a great job and provided a lot of very solid advice throughout the process and several times told me to walk away because the seller and broker were just ridiculous to work with.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 10:42   #11

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Here in Florida, maybe everywhere, there are lots of yacht brokers who do this as a sideline or hobby. Kind of like realtors, lots of part-timers. I discovered that the broker I had hired, who explained before signing how he was going to actively market my boat, was off to North Carolina for three weeks to buy and bring back his personal boat. Easy to see how calls may not have been returned.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 10:51   #12

Is there an association or licencing agency that brokers must belong to?
If so, you would think that the agency would police the deadbeats.
Old 23-06-2019, 11:00   #13

If the goal is legitimate, to get answers to the questions and not just to bypass the broker to reduce the price, why not contact the broker and copy the owner?

Seems like the most straightforward approach, and I guess you'd get an answer.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 11:15   #14

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Florida licenses brokers but that generally only keeps out the worst of the convicted felons.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 11:33   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
If the goal is legitimate, to get answers to the questions and not just to bypass the broker to reduce the price, why not contact the broker and copy the owner?

Seems like the most straightforward approach, and I guess you'd get an answer.
Is there ever a problem getting the vendor's name and contact information?
Do the brokers fear being cut out of the deal?