Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2014, 07:19   #16

Boat: Maine Cat 30
Re: Buyer's Remorse--what was your experience?

The Shuttleworth 44 that's for sale in Florida was built in South Africa not Florida. The owner has put a ton of money into her. Only negative is she may be a little heavy.

According to the owner, he would routinely cruise at 11 knots.
12BCruzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:44   #17

Boat: currently a power boat :(

Congrats!!! Hope the survey goes well for you!
Old 11-01-2014, 08:46   #18

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Congrats!!!what year Priv?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:47   #19
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12BCruzn View Post
The Shuttleworth 44 that's for sale in Florida was built in South Africa not Florida. The owner has put a ton of money into her. Only negative is she may be a little heavy.

According to the owner, he would routinely cruise at 11 knots.
Imagine the speeds if she was kept really light! She is a beautiful boat and it appears only quality work was done to her.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:18   #20

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

That would be sweet! We considered the shuttleworth that needed a complete refit in sw FL but some concerns over actual age and ownership came up.

Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:32   #21
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
That would be sweet! We considered the shuttleworth that needed a complete refit in sw FL but some concerns over actual age and ownership came up.

I remember that. Needed a lot of work but had a great price. Just watched the video for the Florida Shuttleworth 44. I'd forgotten how well finished she is. Would make a great boat for someone.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:52   #22

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I remember that. Needed a lot of work but had a great price. Just watched the video for the Florida Shuttleworth 44. I'd forgotten how well finished she is. Would make a great boat for someone.
How much is it?

OH, Congratulations 12B. P's, from my readings seem to be bullet proof. Just check it for delam - or so I hear. (saw one in St. Augustine a few weeks ago)
Old 11-01-2014, 10:21   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post

The Shuttleworth I was referring to is in Ft Lauderdale and looks like it needs no work whatsoever, unless one would like to put on a more efficient AC unit (has a land style window AC unit right now), and a more efficient refrigerator. He is asking about 270K as I recall. Looks like a great boat for Bahamas--it has only a 30 inch draft. It feels huge inside and is very well appointed. Galley is huge, salon is huge, the deck feels huge. Standing on the transom is like standing on a wharf, it seems so long and straight. Only reason we didn't go for it was the rarity (hence relatively unknown) of the brand, the fact that the hull was originally laid up in 1990 (although one would never guess that from looking at her condition), and the potential difficulty with resale. Also having to remember to deal with the daggerboard in changing conditions seemed a little daunting for us (relative) neophytes.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:27   #24

Boat: Lagoon440 - Ripples II

Congrats on going for the larger boat - wish you well on the survey.

We're going thru the exact same process now - survey next week on a L440. Previously owned a FP Athena 38 which we would sail 4-5 weeks at a time (kids, jobs, ...) , and chartered multiple boats up to 43'. This time around we are considering living aboard, and really prioritized the overall space, both underway and while anchored, even if there is just the two of us, although we have a list of guests that are just waiting for us to move aboard.
Some of our considerations that argued a larger size for us:

- Walk-around berths (versus barrel-rolling out of bed) - priceless - especially at 2:00 AM
- Back transom that allows moving from one side to the other without going thru cockpit, and handling the tender - excellent
- Fly bridge with all sail controls, and visibility - excellent (OK that's a L440 one)
- reasonable sailing speed (I'll be happy with 8 -12 knots vs the 6-8 knots I got on the FP38 in normal wind conditions) - like being out on the water
- space in the galley given that one spends a lot of time there - priceless
- storage space - don't want to overdue it, but nice to have
- Forward cockpit for easy sailing days and sundowners (vs trying to find a comfortable sitting position in front) - priceless (OK, another L440 one)

Going from a 38'x 21' boat to a 44' x 25' is a little intimidating, and there are $$ to consider for initial purchase and every other expense, but decided that if we are going to live on the boat, and we almost never use marinas, and conservative sailing / cruising at first, then the size should not be an issue. In our case, we're not in a hurry to go anywhere, just want to be on the water.

The $$ argument for a smaller boat is a good one, having $$ left over for the "toys".
The argument about a 38' being much easier to handle (docking, mooring, sailing, ...) by two people is a strong one, especially in difficult situations.
Both continue to swirl in my sub-conscious, but, hey, one life to live, so we shall see what hindsight comes up with
2Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 13:21   #25

2ripples you are right on all those counts. I loved the L440s we looked at. More later...
Old 11-01-2014, 15:41   #26
smj

Quote:

The Shuttleworth I was referring to is in Ft Lauderdale and looks like it needs no work whatsoever, unless one would like to put on a more efficient AC unit (has a land style window AC unit right now), and a more efficient refrigerator. He is asking about 270K as I recall. Looks like a great boat for Bahamas--it has only a 30 inch draft. It feels huge inside and is very well appointed. Galley is huge, salon is huge, the deck feels huge. Standing on the transom is like standing on a wharf, it seems so long and straight. Only reason we didn't go for it was the rarity (hence relatively unknown) of the brand, the fact that the hull was originally laid up in 1990 (although one would never guess that from looking at her condition), and the potential difficulty with resale. Also having to remember to deal with the daggerboard in changing conditions seemed a little daunting for us (relative) neophytes.
That's the one I was talking about, named Adrenalin. At 44' long and having a nearly 28' beam she is huge. We met the owner in 2004 right after taking possession of our Edel 43. Really nice guy, we ended hanging out with him for a couple of weeks. She has been on the market for quite awhile and it will definitely take the right kind of buyer.
Old 11-01-2014, 22:41   #27

Yes. Adrenalin is the name. Can't help but like the owner. They put a lot of nice extra touches on that boat.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:41   #28

The L440s we saw were all too pricey. But we did love the volume and spacious feel they have. Love the fly bridge. Love the overhead cabinets in the galley. The sink in the cockpit is nice and the space under it would a good spot for a washing machine or other add on.

With the P435 we will end up with (guessing) about 90% of the L440's room and complete cruising options.
Old 27-01-2014, 18:47   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
How much is it?

OH, Congratulations 12B. P's, from my readings seem to be bullet proof. Just check it for delam - or so I hear. (saw one in St. Augustine a few weeks ago)

We bought the one in St Augustine
Old 26-10-2014, 19:27   #30

Huh?! Actually, John Shuttleworth is one of the most respected multihull designers in the world with a successful design career that started almost 40 years ago. His first claim to fame was in 1981 when Brittney Ferries won the TWOSTAR race so he is certainly no "relatively unknown brand." Thats why he gets commissioned to design so many racing multihulls and the amazingly beautiful 140' super yacht Adastra.

Quote:
The Shuttleworth I was referring to is in Ft Lauderdale and looks like it needs no work whatsoever, unless one would like to put on a more efficient AC unit (has a land style window AC unit right now), and a more efficient refrigerator. Only reason we didn't go for it was the rarity (hence relatively unknown) of the brand, the fact that the hull was originally laid up in 1990 (although one would never guess that from looking at her condition), and the potential difficulty with resale.

His cruising cats are known to be very fast boats that often beat much racier designs, so aside from the huge fridge, what is it about that 44 that made it heavier than other cruising cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc