Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2014, 03:31   #31
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
Huh?! Actually, John Shuttleworth is one of the most respected multihull designers in the world with a successful design career that started almost 40 years ago. His first claim to fame was in 1981 when Brittney Ferries won the TWOSTAR race so he is certainly no "relatively unknown brand." Thats why he gets commissioned to design so many racing multihulls and the amazingly beautiful 140' super yacht Adastra.

His cruising cats are known to be very fast boats that often beat much racier designs, so aside from the huge fridge, what is it about that 44 that made it heavier than other cruising cat?
He probably meant the builder was unknown not the designer. Just because you have a great design doesn't mean you will get a great boat.
I can't recall everything about the boat but I do remember a lot of teak being added to the interior. Also I recall the owner saying she had added quite a few pounds since the refit. Beautiful boat though.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 05:31   #32

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Buyer's Remorse - What was your experience ?

While Shuttleworth is a known designer, his boats are pretty much unknown in the US. So rarity and difficulty with resale are real issues to consider there with these boats.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 06:14   #33

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

We looked at that boat last year before we settled on an Outremer 45 2003. The boat is beautifully built ,I went over it for a good long time ,no cracks dings nothing just perfect .being acquainted with the tectron 35 ,50 She seems over equipped ,the cabinetry was ,great but heavily built . Good boat for right person
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 13:10   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
<snip> Just watched the video for the Florida Shuttleworth 44. I'd forgotten how well finished she is. Would make a great boat for someone.
That would be us.
We close on Adrenalin in 4 days.
The sellers were very proactive in preventative maintenance, and only used the boat a few months per year.
Adrenalin was so well maintained since its complete refit that the bank actually questioned the survey because there wasn't really anything wrong with the boat.
And the previous owner really is a great guy.
rgesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 13:19   #35
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesner View Post
That would be us.
The sellers were very proactive in preventative maintenance, and only used the boat a few months per year.
Adrenalin was so well maintained since its complete refit that the bank actually questioned the survey because there wasn't really anything wrong with the boat.

Congratulations, great boat and very nicely refit! Hope you make a lot of good memories with her.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 15:06   #36

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

OOOH! Nice.
Best of luck.
Old 08-05-2015, 15:15   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Buyer's remorse? No,- I don't know that! Maybe it's just my
"Polyanna" attitude, but I'm always thrilled with what I get! Small boats, bigger boats, power or sail, new or old,- I've bought them all, but I've been on my current boat for 30 years. I've a philodenron that's 35 years old and I've been married for 46 years. I seem to be really pleased with what I get!
Old 08-05-2015, 16:41   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam
Re: Buyer's Remorse--what was your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Welcome to CF.
There is a key difference between Remorse and Hindsight
‘Remorse’ is when you don’t do your homework and fail to see the obvious flaw in your decision thru lack of product study, surveys and tests
‘Hindsight’, is more a function of time where your priorities may change due to actual sailing and live aboard experience.
Yes, I have buyers remorse, however, on hindsight this has been an incredible adventure.

The Goal:
Purchase a large multihull and bring it to Hawaii to start a tourist business. I met the local harbor master and asked if there would be room for me. He said YES!

Purchase:
I found a USA built vessel to comply with Jones Act. It was a 65ft trimaran demasted in Marshall Islands.

Homework not completed:
Communications from the Marshall Islands were so bad one email from the internet took almost 15 minutes and cost $5 per 1/2 hr. People played computer games while waiting. I needed crew to get across Pacific and really had little ability to do more homework. Besides, I was building a jury rig and provisioning.

Problems found after purchase:
1. Commercial operation was not allowed in my home port of Hilo. Banned by State law.

2. Kailua Kona was very far from my home and a mooring was quoted was $450,000. You own it outright and limited number.

3. Can't fit in harbor.

4. Oahu markert was never an alternative and saturated.

Hindsight:
What drew me to cruising were the incredible stories I heard and strong desire to unshackle myself from the desk. Had I been allowed to operate in Hawaii, I would 100% be shackled, and likely lost my investment.

Instead:
I have lived many incredible years in great places among friendly people. Even in a typhoon I never felt in danger. I have not locked my house for 6 years.

My health is good. I've climbed mountains, dove on an 1842 wreck and brought up coins for a museum, discovered cave paintings, and ate dinner at the Sultan's home and shook his hand.

Children follow me in the street shouting Story Story! I teach them songs like the one about a little ant and a rubber tree plant.

The vessel and lifestyle it has essentially forced upon me, have been the dream so many want.

It takes what we call courage. Courage is really doing something stupid. The difference? Courage is when it works out.

Remorse:
I should have first sold the home in Hawaii and then bought a smaller boat. Then I would have had the funds to do this many more years. Instead, I have to sell both the home and the boat.

However:
While the grass is always greener on the other side, the grass here is a lot better than most.

How much would you give to create smiles like these, be invited into every home you walk past, and be warmly greeted by name the first time you stepped foot on a new island?
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 17:22   #39

Boat: Maine Cat 30

Fabulous story.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 08-05-2015, 18:16   #40

CONGRATULATIONS! Sure looks like a beautiful boat. I haven't sailed on a Shuttleworth yet but John Shuttleworths designs were decades ahead of everyone else. I remember way back thinking how far ahead Derick Kelsall was until I learned later that Kelsall had John Shuttleworth drawing his early boats! How does she sail?

Quote:
That would be us.
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:47   #41

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Quote:
That would be us.
Congratulations indeed. That boat was on our list with a trip to Florida planned for next week. I hope it turns out to be the jewel it looks like from here.

Fortunately for us, there are a few others that have our attention.

Best,
Joe
jdazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 21:51   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
CONGRATULATIONS! Sure looks like a beautiful boat. I haven't sailed on a Shuttleworth yet but John Shuttleworths designs were decades ahead of everyone else. I remember way back thinking how far ahead Derick Kelsall was until I learned later that Kelsall had John Shuttleworth drawing his early boats! How does she sail?
I don't have multihull experience to compare it to, and we only sailed for a couple of hour seat trial, but the surveyor and others along for the fun seemed impressed with how well and efficiently she moved, and we were at or very close to true wind speed on a fairly light day. She also steered more responsively than any mono I've helmed, and was silky smooth with no perceptible play at the wheel.

Looking forward to much more to report, but unfortunately that will pretty much be after his hurricane season.

- Rusty
Old 10-05-2015, 21:59   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
He probably meant the builder was unknown not the designer. Just because you have a great design doesn't mean you will get a great boat.
I can't recall everything about the boat but I do remember a lot of teak being added to the interior. Also I recall the owner saying she had added quite a few pounds since the refit. Beautiful boat though.
The builder was Sunseeker, at the time a good-sized Durban SA builder of mostly high-end power yachts.

But that it was a 25 year old non-production catamaran (3 strikes) made if damned hard to find financing (even with 65% down) no matter how fine a specimen she is.

We'll be judicious about adding, removing, and balancing weight. My main concern with the big fridge is efficiency, not its weight.

Tags
enc