Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2014, 10:17   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Best Projected Resale Value

As far as "improvements", you will not get your money back, but if they make the time you owned the boat, more pleasant, then it may be worth it, The furling boom on my boat, nearly new and I was told cost with new sail >10K, but added nothing price wise to the boat.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 10:52   #32

Boat: Myra 21 - 1973 - MD2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzasa View Post
In my experience if you are worried about cost at all boating/cruising is not for you. If you have a very limited budget after you buy your boat it's not for you.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Buying a boat is the least I'm worried about: it's getting rid of it later on.
Projected resale value seems a good indicator of this.
Vronsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 11:15   #33
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

You might look at what the charter fleets are selling off as old boats. The biggest depreciation hit is already over, and what they charter (and then sell) are usually popular boats with popular equipment, which means there is a larger market looking to buy that same boat. If you can buy the same thing from the second owner, who presumably has paid the higher price the charter company was looking for...

Or you might drop by a few brokers, sometime when it isn't busy. Ask them, what sells quickly? Quickest? A smart broker will give you a few minutes of their time, since you may come back and use them if you do wind up buying and selling the boat.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 11:53   #34

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

In the Caribbean, the market if flooded with boats coming out of charter, being offered for sale. High supply tends to lower price, and I think this is especially true of boat in the mid 30s. Despite the supply and lower costs, in that price range, the costs of flying to the Caribbean and spending time to boat shop is prohibitive. I had my Beneteau on the market there for 6 months without a nibble. It got a lot more interest once I moved it to Florida.

Slipping a boat you are no longer using and have for sale in the Caribbean can also be an expense.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 15:12   #35

Yeah, even in Florida it took me 1.5 years (before the recession) to sell a Hans Christian at 60% of asking price....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:33   #36

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Perhaps something that exists in both US and EU world?

An Oceanis perhaps?

5-6 y.o. perhaps?

I would also consider a decent cat. More people want cats than monos.

b.

More want cats vs monos??? Don't think that can be substantiated. If it is apparent sentiment as expressed in forums like these, that may be a common perception but looking at actual boat sales may prove otherwise. Bottom line is that unless your willing to put a lot of money down on a very well used cat that's still over $175K US, from my research I see a better value for same amount of money buying a later model monohull.

Yes, many express the sentiment, me included; we love cats but when it's time to decide and pay my $150K, For that money I can't buy a decent cat that won't force me to constant repair and refit. (Think 2007 Mahe, 2004 Leapord 38) For same money I can get a new or slightly used wide beam, chines run aft, big cockpit mono that lets me cruise immediately with substantially less operating costs over time. Plus, there's a bigger number of sailors who can afford to buy your mono vs your multi when you need to sell it.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:38   #37

Boat: C&C Newport 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
As far as "improvements", you will not get your money back, but if they make the time you owned the boat, more pleasant, then it may be worth it, The furling boom on my boat, nearly new and I was told cost with new sail >10K, but added nothing price wise to the boat.
I dont fully agree with this...

Some improvements improve the sailability and resale value of the boat. I DO agree that most do not.

For example, new sails, a redesigned galley, new electronics or painting the hull dramatically increase the resale value of a boat where as replacing the laminate sole with real teak will not.

A64 makes a good point that real value of an 'upgrade' is recovered in the increased comfort / enjoyment while you own the boat and less so when it comes time to sell the boat.

If one is smart about the improvements, the result at time of sale will almost always be favorable. So as to say, one may not recover the cost of an improvement but they are likely to sell the boat while it's stock sister remains for sale.

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 17:44   #38

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

My figures for the last boat.
Bought a well equipped Lagoon 410 in the Med well below market value, spent 10% on fixing and improving
Sold after 2 years in the caribbean for initial cost + 20% within two weeks of listing

The deal on my current boat was similar, roughly 30% below realistic market value. Again due to special circumstances of the seller

I think there are two important factors. Choose a boat with a considerable market, something that has a determined market value and is therefore easy to sell for a realistic price. And then find a bargain that is not a worn out dog
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 11:29   #39

Very interesting topic, let's revive it . Absolutely agreed, that private boat ownership is more an emotional thing than a clear-cut financial decision, versed differently: buying vs renting.

However, ownership becomes a financially valid point very quickly if someone sails a lot. A week bareboat in the mediterranean starts around 1500€ for a boat you can buy 2nd hand for maybe 40k€. On limited holiday time, one sails maybe 3 weeks a lucky year - that means 5k€ at a charter operator. 5k€ sounds a lot, but when that 40k€ boat gets a decent insurance (not just liability), is delivered to the other end of the world in every 5 years because you want to try a new spot, that will also come close.

I did not dive deep in the exact figures, but I feel it's similar to car-rental in a holiday destination. As a working vacationer, staying 2-3 weeks, you rent. Easy, no worry about maintenance/repairs/insurance (other than your personal one), and one year you sail the Mediterranean the other year the Pacific. The situation completely changes once someone has more time for sailing - just like you won't rent a car for a full year - that would cost the price of a completely new one.

What is your experience, how many weeks of yearly use makes boat ownership a financially sound decision?
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 14:37   #40

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post

What is your experience, how many weeks of yearly use makes boat ownership a financially sound decision?
'boat ownership' and 'financially sound decision' is the definition of an oxymoron

Having said that, I could never afford to own property in my lifetime so living on a boat is the only way I am able to own where I live. With the advantage of living right downtown and being able to take my home with me when I travel! So I guess that counts as financially sound as I have paid off the boat and am paying way less in moorage than I would in rent/mortgage? Ok, that's kinda reaching.
Old 24-01-2017, 16:07   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
'boat ownership' and 'financially sound decision' is the definition of an oxymoron
Right However, depending on situation, one of the options (either buying or rental) can leave couple of thousand bucks in your pocket.

Quote:
Having said that, I could never afford to own property in my lifetime so living on a boat is the only way I am able to own where I live. With the advantage of living right downtown and being able to take my home with me when I travel! So I guess that counts as financially sound as I have paid off the boat and am paying way less in moorage than I would in rent/mortgage? Ok, that's kinda reaching.
Yeah, everybody is in a different situation. I guess charters are for people who sail/use the boat less than 1-2 months a year. More than that simply fills more money to the charter company's pocket than your own boats upkeep/continuous upgrade and depreciation would cost.
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 10:01   #42

This is an old but very helpful thread. Curious if anyone has purchased new with the intent to own for many years (10+ years) - Enjoying and using the once new boat to near its fully depreciated value. We have owned 3 used/new to us boats and broken even on the initial purchase price on all three. Clearly not an option when considering new. The only way I can rationalize a NEW boat purchase would be to sail and enjoy for many years otherwise a very expensive cost per use equation.

We are also like the OP considering a smallish 35’ very well built new boat with the intent to sail it until we can no longer get to the dock. For those of us with the sailing affliction this appears to be one of the few financially justifiable reasons for spending the extra cost for new.
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 10:16   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post

But any amount of sailing is good for my soul.

Disclaimer: I'm in the "go cheap, go now" camp, so it's quite affordable.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:08   #44

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

I am original owner of a Jeanneau 349 and so far quite happy with new boat ownership and open market resale value.
Interesting Sailboats: Search results for 349
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:38   #45

Boat: Riva 48

A couple of factors to consider. We are at the end of the longest expansion cycle in history. When a recession hits, the demand for any type of boats will evaporate.

The Caribbean, as a top charter destination favors larger boats. It will be difficult to sell there, consider buying there, selling in Florida.

I would definitely stay in the Hunter/Beneteau camp unless you know what you are doing which very few of us do. The market for people who appreciate good small cruisers is very small and diminishing.

Buying old (more maintenance) vs. new (more depreciation) is roughly equivalent and depends on how much time you have to fix stuff yourself. As mentioned many times on this forum, a little bit of canvas work, rigging or engine replacement will ruin your calculations quickly.

Lastly, you need to buy the boat with love. If you do not get excited about a particular boat (e.g. the typical boat coming out of charter) then stay away from her. Buy something that makes you smile. They all have problems.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale