Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2009, 21:20   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuarth View Post
not at all in fact if you want I will talk to you all day by skype or any other messenger, I will even phone you my forte is not typing, and sorry if I give the wrong impession
Which is why I tried to be non-aggressive. I'm sure newbies can be trying at times. I just have so many questions. I need to get on a boat and sail then network with as many as possible. I believe the sailing community is going to be for the most part very friendly and helpful. I'm actually getting excited. Anyone want to loan me a 100 grand?
jobberone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 21:25   #32

Send a message via Skype™ to Stuarth44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobberone View Post
All good advice. Here is the boat I lust for but I don't want to liquidate some things to obtain her. MobileMe - iDisk click on the far right button on the right for the pdf file and obtain the survey. Some nice pics. Really too much boat for me so I'd have to have knowlegable crew with me. It can be singlehanded although I'd be afraid of that if I got in really bad seas. I'm going to get some crew for awhile and take off. Love the centerboard on it.
i like that boat very much buy it!!!! how much are they asking, do you have a link to glossy pic, the broker, I,m like see the interior clearly
A copper penny, that will do it alright( electrolysis referred to)
Stuarth44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 22:29   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuarth View Post
i like that boat very much buy it!!!! how much are they asking, do you have a link to glossy pic, the broker, I,m like see the interior clearly
A copper penny, that will do it alright( electrolysis referred to)
He wants over 200K for it which is really acceptable IMO. My problem is its a home built albeit a professional alum worker/owner of a successful alum business. Maximum overkill for the boat. Heavy heavy rigging, Southern Ocean racing mast, yada. I'll see if I can find pics. That's why I asked someone to loan me 100K.

I'm afraid I'll have to consider something more modest the first time at least until I win the lottery.
Old 27-03-2009, 01:02   #34

BTW, the penny thing just shows how careful you need to be with your vessel. And is a big neg regarding aluminum boats. I wonder if the hull had been completely insulated would that penny have affected the hull??
Old 27-03-2009, 01:09   #35

Send a message via Skype™ to Stuarth44
yes insulation could have been achieved IF the penny dropped(no pun) upon a piece of rubber
May i suggest you study , electrolysis, and the galvonic table
The exact same thing could have happened with a mild steel or high ten steel hull
Stuarth44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 07:19   #36

I can always use study. But any two different metals will generate a field. It just matters how much how often thru what. But I definitely don't know it all and no book is going to teach you everything. That vessel has a lot of proper insulation when two metals are nearly touching. Just wasn't penny proof.
Old 27-03-2009, 12:01   #37

The following is the galvanic series (from Wikipedia) for stagnant (that is, low oxygen content) seawater. The order may change in different environments. Galvanic series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaCorrosion can occur in the relative absence of two differing metals albeit generally very slowly.
Old 02-04-2009, 18:02   #38

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
BTW, seriously thought about buying Ted Hoods old 'Lightnin', an aluminum 37' S&S design that he won the SORC with. Still kicking myself for not doing it. The boat wasn't that radical to modify the deck layout and the flushdeck design had loads of room below.

Aloha
Peter O.
Are you talking about Ted Turner's Lightnin' ? Built in 1971, and raced by Turner in the Admirals cup.
My Wife and her ex bought that boat and raced it a while, before converting it for cruising.
The boat sailed really well, and loved beating to windward in strong winds. It really moved along in light winds also.
We sold it about 5 years ago.
My favorite part of the boat was the Titanium 3 speed winches!
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 19:04   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Hey, one Ted is as good as another. As soon as I started reading the copy of my post in your post recogized I had the wrong Ted. If it was Hood, the boat would've been named Robin, painted light blue and designed by him.

Aloha
Peter O.
Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote