Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2009, 10:25   #16

The comment was made since you are new to this.

Under 24000 pounds you can still manhandle a boat. Beyond that you'll need to spring/warp your way on and off the dock with the use of the engine, dock lines, and crew. Once you go over 24k displacement it is best to keep your arms and legs inside the ride until it comes to a complete stop. Some experience helps here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobberone View Post
Still no answer as to why 20,000 and not 34000 tonnage other than the obvious I can figure for myself. Still tryinjg to stay away from loans but starting to look like I may have to. Don't really want to liquidate things to do this.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 10:41   #17

Ok. That's the way I took it. Much more momentum and inerita and likely a bigger boat anyway. Likely more boat to catch the wind as well. And I have only experience mooring 32-44ft power boats. Not the same. And I will be single handed. OTOH, I've almost always gotten help when I needed it. Sailors are a friendly bunch at port at least.
jobberone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 13:28   #18

As to the original question - War Baby was built as an aluminum IOR racer, and has been to the ends of the earth.

So was Alaska Eagle, built as Flyer, and she's been to the ends of the earth, as well.

A lot of the earlier IOR boats were pretty darn good boats, and unlike a lot of newer boats will go upwind in a blow. The later ones, built to exploit the stability provisions of the rule had a deserved reputation for getting squirrely powered up reaching or downwind. Sailed as cruising boats they should be fine. The later ones also had flexible, tunable rigs that are simply not robust enough for the average cruiser.

Relative to a lot of more modern boats, some of those old IOR boats are tanks, think the S&S Swans, or Joli (beautiful boat) for that matter. The question is not if the boat is capable, but is it suitable.

What do you want in a cruising boat? My wife likes ventilation, so big Dorades were on our list. Race boat cockpits are built for work, not relaxing, and are usually not built to accept a spray dodger. Race boat companionways are frequently pretty vertical ladders with just a sprayhood, separate from the cockpit. A lot of race boats have flush decks, I remember a nice Frers 46, built in aluminum by PJ, did not have standing headroom for me.

What I'm saying is look carefully at the layout and how you plan to use the boat. If she's suitable, go for it, but with eyes wide open.

Personally, I'd love to have an aluminum version of my boat, done right. The best sailboat builder in the world, Huisman, works in aluminum.

Answer to #5 - most race boats are not insulated, but you can add that. Without insulation they will be cold when it's cold, hot when it's hot, be prone to condensation, and be LOUD!
Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 14:48   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to Stuarth44
jobber
I am by trade a builder of aluminium yachts

Once I was asked to rebuild the S and S Aura, in NZ, She was rebuilt, by two guys who used work for me, I passed on the job because I was ill at the time
they spent over one million, later will post a pic
The trouble with those old IOR boats was they are deep drafted making many cruising grounds out of bounds
They are also very hard to hard stand with the pointy appendages
many I have learn were built quickly and poorly with water traps, much of Aura was corroded because of trapped water and toilet gunk
My advice would be to get a surveyor who not only knows the material, but has built in the material
i will do this for free, if you buy me an airticket)
tip, take along a rubber mallet and knock all over the hull, you will hear any sprung welds
Stuarth44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 14:54   #20

I have been on Alaska Eagle, in fact the owner of the yacht I am plating in the pic was navigator on her for Orange county sailing school, when she did many of her passages
here you can see I once had brown hair
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 plating caper.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	7549  
Old 26-03-2009, 15:33   #21

ref: Aluminum.... what you gain in not having blisters you will loose in not being able to keep paint on the boat. So dont let that drive you unless you do what the french do... NO paint!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 16:25   #22

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Actually, I think she looks like a nice boat (the CSY 44), but there's no question she's a lot of boat.

How is the line-handling set up? If it's set up for single=handing and if all else is sound it might be a bargoon for your purposes.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 17:26   #23

Thanks Sahara. I wondered about needed insulation. I've been on a couple of aluminum boats and one was very loud and particularly made a lot of noise when the bow slapped at times.

Stuarth I'll pay for a ticket here and back if you do the work I need.

Cheechako, I've read about aluminum boats not being painted but it seemed all I've seen but a few were painted.

Connemara, the CSY is not set up to be easily singlehanded at present. It's not a clean setup. I'm going to make a decision soon. I may hitch a ride on someone's boat though and get some sailing time before buying anything. I'm seesawing back and forth looking at boats right now. I think it may be time to back off and acquire more data before making any investment.

Thanks to all.
Old 26-03-2009, 17:53   #24

Thank you for the compliment Sahara, we like Joli very much.

We looked at an aluminum 58' PJ but removed it fom our list because of corrosion. I can do glass work but have no metal skills. It was out of my comfort zone.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 19:19   #25

If properly maintained which hull has the longest life?
Old 26-03-2009, 19:32   #26

look painting alloy is another longlong topic
Millionaires do not spend, well up multi mills on yachts that bubble, it has to be done right
i have seen a yacht Morag Mhor built in 50,s as good as new, there is a Catalina flying boat on the ocean floor 200 foot down sunk during war, she is in good nick, once the growth is peeled back
IMO
you really need to speak to people who actually own or build such, third hand stories, well they are just that
paint is expensive
If I were building myself one(which I am) I would paint the houses, leave the topsides unpainted(for cost)
cheers
Old 26-03-2009, 19:51   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuarth View Post
look painting alloy is another longlong topic
Millionaires do not spend, well up multi mills on yachts that bubble, it has to be done right
i have seen a yacht Morag Mhor built in 50,s as good as new, there is a Catalina flying boat on the ocean floor 200 foot down sunk during war, she is in good nick, once the growth is peeled back
IMO
you really need to speak to people who actually own or build such, third hand stories, well they are just that
paint is expensive
If I were building myself one(which I am) I would paint the houses, leave the topsides unpainted(for cost)
cheers
Sorry if I'm bothering you.
Old 26-03-2009, 20:12   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
If properly maintained which hull has the longest life?
Both but you don't know that with a used boat. "properly maintained" assumes a lot of things. It's the stuff attached to the hull that costs the big money in all cases.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 20:18   #29

All good advice. Here is the boat I lust for but I don't want to liquidate some things to obtain her. MobileMe - iDisk click on the far right button on the right for the pdf file and obtain the survey. Some nice pics. Really too much boat for me so I'd have to have knowlegable crew with me. It can be singlehanded although I'd be afraid of that if I got in really bad seas. I'm going to get some crew for awhile and take off. Love the centerboard on it.
Old 26-03-2009, 21:11   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobberone View Post
Sorry if I'm bothering you.
not at all in fact if you want I will talk to you all day by skype or any other messenger, I will even phone you my forte is not typing, and sorry if I give the wrong impession